The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-12-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Beginners practicing online

I started learning acoustic guitar in early March of this year. Don't sound like much yet but really enjoying it so far. I've been doing some practice on my own and feel like I'm getting a little stuck. I think I might make more progress if I had someone else to practice with.

Where can I find a small group or even one other person who is a relative beginner and wants to practice with someone online? Like Zoom or some other platform.

Martin 000c-16
Martin DRS2
Old 08-12-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

You can't really play in real-time with other folks online due to latency. I've been having fun with Tyler Grant's facebook videos. Every Monday night he does a virtual bluegrass jam at Slow Tempo, Mid Tempo, and Fast Tempo for an hour each way. You may want to check them out. It's just strumming and basic chords. You can view his archives here, and best of all it's free!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/tylergui...=page_internal
Old 08-12-2020, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Jack,

Once things get back to "normal" I suggest you seek out an adult continuing education class for beginners. You will meet like minded people who might want to get together for practice and jams.

But based on my own experience (and my particular way of doing things) I think your time would be better spent solo, at least to start. I remember reading a quote from John Mayer, answering the question "Where did you learn to play guitar like that?" to which he said, "Alone, in my bedroom."
Old 08-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
You can't really play in real-time with other folks online due to latency. I've been having fun with Tyler Grant's facebook videos. Every Monday night he does a virtual bluegrass jam at Slow Tempo, Mid Tempo, and Fast Tempo for an hour each way. You may want to check them out. It's just strumming and basic chords. You can view his archives here, and best of all it's free!

Awesome, I will check that out. Thanks,

Martin 000c-16
Martin DRS2
Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Jack,

Once things get back to "normal" I suggest you seek out an adult continuing education class for beginners. You will meet like minded people who might want to get together for practice and jams.

But based on my own experience (and my particular way of doing things) I think your time would be better spent solo, at least to start. I remember reading a quote from John Mayer, answering the question "Where did you learn to play guitar like that?" to which he said, "Alone, in my bedroom."
Been doing it on my own and some days feel better than others. Will probably continue doing what I've been doing on my own. At least for the time being. Thanks for the response.

Martin 000c-16
Martin DRS2
Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknicholson View Post
Awesome, I will check that out. Thanks,
Definitely check out the slow jam if you're new. They're mostly all 3 chord songs at a tempo fit for a beginner. It will help you learn tunes and get better at chord switching. I know the mid and fast tempo jams have helped my bluegrass rhythm quite a lot since I started doing them. I've never attended a bluegrass jam and I now would feel comfortable enough going to one since I've learned a few kickoffs and licks from these videos.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:01 PM

Thanks for the tip on Tyler Grant, those “jams” look great.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post

This is really cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:26 AM

Hi jacknicholson,

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you’ve never practiced with a metronome, you might find it useful. Once you’ve got an idea in your head and under your fingers but not up to performance speed, you start off slow and gradually increase the tempo. It’s a good way to measure your progress. The idea could be an entire song or piece of music, a few chords or just a lick.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:54 AM

Default Beginners practicing online

One suggestion - search for acoustic backing tracks on YouTube, and use them for practice. If you’re still learning smooth strumming and chord changes it’ll help if you just follow along. It will also help for fills and riffs if that’s where you’re at. You can adjust the playback speed as needed, start slow and speed up.

And seriously, here’s the best advice I got when I asked a guy how to get better: ‘What you do is, you play the guitar, instead of not playing the guitar.’
Old 08-13-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
Hi jacknicholson,

This doesn't really answer your question, but if you’ve never practiced with a metronome, you might find it useful. Once you’ve got an idea in your head and under your fingers but not up to performance speed, you start off slow and gradually increase the tempo. It’s a good way to measure your progress. The idea could be an entire song or piece of music, a few chords or just a lick.
Another tip I've picked up if you're playing bluegrass, or really any style at all since I believe jazz musicians do it too is to count on the offbeats so that the metronome clicks on the 2 & 4 similar to a mandolin chop. Makes it closer to playing in person.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
One suggestion - search for acoustic backing tracks on YouTube, and use them for practice. If you’re still learning smooth strumming and chord changes it’ll help if you just follow along. It will also help for fills and riffs if that’s where you’re at. You can adjust the playback speed as needed, start slow and speed up.

And seriously, here’s the best advice I got when I asked a guy how to get better: ‘What you do is, you play the guitar, instead of not playing the guitar.’
That sounds so much better than me just recording my own terrible rhythm on the iPhone and playing that back. BTW, I added that last line to my signature. Thanks

Martin 000c-16
Martin DRS2
Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 AM

So much good advice. I love this forum. Thanks to everyone

Martin 000c-16
Martin DRS2
Old 08-13-2020, 09:48 AM

Not what you asked for but...

https://www.justinguitar.com/
Old 08-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Not what you asked for but...

https://www.justinguitar.com/
I’m in the same boat as the OP but have been using the above website and app. It’s been a good fit for me and I’m enjoying it. You might check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write