The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-11-2020, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

In actual tunes you may end up needing to use various fingers or thumb on various strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-12-2020, 05:41 AM

Of course there are some great players use less than 3 but they are great, your chances of being great are slim. Since that is true in my opinion you can use any number of strings you want. I learned thumb and 3 and find it helps my lack of talent so thats what Im recommending. I float my hand above the strings as the classical players do but most anchor. That probably is easier to learn as I didnt do it that way I dont know so again do what you want.
Travis picking which is alternating with muffled bass strings isnt the way Travis played. What Travis players play can go back to blues players or if your playing modern tunes it would go back to Chet Atkins who modified what Travis was doing. The name Travis picking is just an accident of history.
I learned Deep River blues or maybe it was Freight train first by watching a guy at school. Then I took classical lessons and then a Chet tune and then Mark Hansen books to other books. I like books cause I dont learn well by ear. Ive been playing a lot of years and can now play most anything but I have a repertoire that I like so I stick to that. This week I am going to be relearning a tune I stopped playing that had been in my repertoire before I got sick.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
What Travis players play can go back to blues players or if your playing modern tunes it would go back to Chet Atkins who modified what Travis was doing. The name Travis picking is just an accident of history.
Well said!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write