The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 06-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Default Dead & Co

Leaving in 10 minutes to see Dead & Co. at Alpine Valley. Taking my 27 year old niece. Watched some video from last night's show, which was excellent.

I'll report back...

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird

Last edited by Dr. Spivey; 06-24-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: edit
Old 06-24-2018, 10:51 AM

Had a great time, didn't get home until 4AM. It takes forever to get in and out of Alpine Valley. It took us a while to find the car in the dark. The venue holds 35,000 and was close to capacity, I'm guessing the crowd at around 30,000.

We didn't feel like fighting the crowd to the food stands during the show, so we hit up a Taco Bell on the way home, around 1AM.

A few random thoughts on the show. The music and sound were fantastic. John Mayer is far and away the best guitarist to play with the various versions of The Dead since Jerry died. Friday night's show was their 100th with this lineup and the unit has really solidified. There is talk of a studio album later this year and I really hope they do it.

I was somewhat surprised and pleased to see a lot of people under 30 last night. These weren't a bunch of kids who showed up in their new tie dyed t-shirts to party and act like fools. I talked to a bunch of them and was quite pleased to meet true fans who knew the music. Many had been to multiple Dead & Co. shows last year and this, those that hadn't have followed the tours via the internet. They were serious students of the Grateful Dead's music and traditions.

To all the curmudgeons and skeptics: This IS The Grateful Dead 2018. The music never stops. The Band plays and the hippies (young and old) dance. If you are a true Deadhead, get out to one of the remaining shows on this tour. You will have fun and hear some great music.

Finally, here is the set list from last night. I'll try to put up some video when I'm more awake.

Set I: The Music Never Stopped > Easy Answers, Alabama Getaway, Big River, Jack Straw, Black Muddy River*, Friend Of The Devil*, Bird Song*

Set II: The Weight, Shakedown Street, Althea, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Drums > Space > All Along The Watchtower > Standing On The Moon > Sugar Magnolia

Encore: One More Saturday Night

* with Justin Vernon

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Very cool you were able to go
It is one of a very few shows I would go to .
I have watched a couple Dead and Co. full concerts on You Tube and I agree John Mayer is a great fit.

Back in the day I was a bit of a short lived fan but not a Dead Head by any means.
Personally the only album I ever owned was the first one self titled "The Grateful Dead" released in March 1967

I did see them in 69 (if I remember correctly) at the notorious "Springers Ballroom" in Gresham Oregon an old Grange Hall that got quite a few name acts in
Quicksilver Messenger Service opened and I kinda like them better (ended up buying 2 or three Quicksilver albums)

Dr. Spivey
Quick question did you happen to notice if Mayer used his new signature PRS Silver Sky for any of the songs ? He started with Dead and Co. and mainly plays the custom build PRS Super Eagle but I was curious if he has since started to use the Silver Sky ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-24-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Dr. Spivey
Quick question did you happen to notice if Mayer used his new signature PRS Silver Sky for any of the songs ? He started with Dead and Co. and mainly plays the custom build PRS Super Eagle but I was curious if he has since started to use the Silver Sky ?
He played both. It was probably 60% Super Eagle, 40% Silver Sky. The Silver Sky seems capable of a dirtier, slightly gritty tone and has more sustain.

I don't know anything about his gear beyond the guitars, but he doesn't seem to use any effects. If he does, they must be set and left alone. I think I heard a bit of overdrive come and go.

John can play super clean single notes so fast it's a bit mind boggling.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-25-2018, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
He played both. It was probably 60% Super Eagle, 40% Silver Sky. The Silver Sky seems capable of a dirtier, slightly gritty tone and has more sustain.

I don't know anything about his gear beyond the guitars, but he doesn't seem to use any effects. If he does, they must be set and left alone. I think I heard a bit of overdrive come and go.

John can play super clean single notes so fast it's a bit mind boggling.
Ah interesting. Yes I think not only is Mayer a really accomplished guitarist, but as I said I think he is overall a really good fit for the tours entire "aura " as it were.

Actually he does have an FX pedalboard (according to the video's) but he is certainly not constantly tap dancing on it.

Here are some video's From the of one of the Alpine Vally shows

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ey+6%2F23%2F18

They have not been edited and there is quite a bit of just dead air time/crowd noise, some 30+ minutes on the first 54 minute vid. ???? But in any case there are some good close ups on stage.

Mayer appears to be using multiple (3 ) Fender Custom Reverb Deluxe ( ) and then something with a tan grill cloth (perhaps his PRS amp) and an additional smaller Fender of some kind

Weir is using a custom built Fat Jimmy Amps , two stage stereo system, with a stereo pre amp in one head, and a stereo power amp in the other head powering 4 = 4X8 speaker cabs.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-25-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:33 PM

Good observations, Kev. I haven't looked at much of the video yet. Sometime tonight or tomorrow, I'll be able to scan my ticket and download the whole show from nugs.tv. The wonders of technology.

I'm still a little whacked from lack of sleep, wasn't worth much at work today.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-26-2018, 07:39 AM

I was at both Alpine shows...my first ever Dead shows!! I got on the bus late (in my 40's), so back when Jerry was still around, I wasn't interested enough to ever see them, which is a shame, because I could have easily gone to Soldier Field a couple of times in my 20's.

It was, hands down, the best concert experience I have ever had...and as a first timer, you really have to call it that, because it is an experience, and so much more than just a band playing music. I would go see them again in a heartbeat, in any venue. I went by myself and I've never met a more friendly bunch...everyone asking me how I got on the bus, wanting to hear my story, everyone telling me to "have a good show" as an acknowledgement that I am as much a part of the show as the band...wonderful music and color and creativity everywhere. It was just amazing.

I credit John Mayer, really, with getting me hooked. A couple years ago when I was still pretty new to guitar, I learned a couple of simpler John Mayer songs (Gravity, Why Georgia, etc.) on my acoustic. As I was beginning to pay more attention to what John was doing, and realizing what an amazing guitarist he was, I heard about Dead & Company. I watched a stream of one concert, and that's all it took...I was on the bus.

Now I've got a catalog of over 40 Dead songs that I can play to varying degrees, and another 35+ on my "to work on" list. It's such a blast to play them. And as a result, guitar wise, these days all I want to do is find some folks to play Grateful Dead songs with on acoustic...it's tough to find in Iowa, but once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:28 PM

Good to hear from you, Embo.

John has certainly brought a lot of new people to the family, as well as doing a fantastic job in the band. Bob and Bill have both stated that they want the music to continue long after they are gone. Hopefully, John, Oteil and Jeff will be the first links in the chain. They're more than capable.

The Grateful Dead have always been about the live experience. For various reasons, they had a lot of difficulty with studio work. Of course, their studio albums contained a lot of good music, but it was never the same as when they played live.

For those who aren't aware, The Dead made a soundboard recording of nearly every show. In 1991 they started releasing them as albums. There are a hundred or more so far. So counting studio albums, live albums, video and digital downloads there are around 140 Grateful Dead albums out there.

Here is a link to the band's myspace album page. Happy listening.

https://myspace.com/gratefuldead/music/albums

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
1997 Guild Bluesbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN