The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-21-2013, 11:31 AM

Default Who do you recommend for teaching Music Theory on YouTube

Hey all,
Trying to use the collective's brain to save me a little time here. I'm a newbie learning my first chords and there is only so much time in the day that I can actually practice with my guitar. But I'd like to continue to "feed my brain" while I'm waiting for my fingertips to cool down, etc.

I'm also the sort of person who likes to understand systems, rather than just learn things by rote (I like to understand the "why" of things). So I'm interested in understanding Music Theory, especially as it applies to the guitar.

I'm looking for a good online/video teacher. Here's the challenge though. I don't want a teacher that makes sense once you already understand what they are talking about. I want a teacher that makes sense to somebody coming from Ground Zero in their understanding. (It might be hard for you to remember what that was like).

So I'm open to suggestions for who you think explains music theory well to newbies (on YouTube or other video site). Or, if you have a DVD training course that you think does it better than anything online, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!
Seagull 20th Anniversary S6 (Spruce & Flamed Maple)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Check out the lessons at http://www.musictheory.net/
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 AM

Youtube in not a great place to look for good lessons, you can find great videos but its hard to find a lesson program or something that can really teach you to play.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM

I don't reccomend ever trying to learn theory on YouTube...yikes.

What do you consider "theory?" If you're learning your first chords, I see absolutely no reason why you should be learning theory, assuming it's actual music theory you're talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM

This one looks pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mocwBBYL2Q
It would benefit from some graphics or diagrams (or the notation you can find on musictheory.net), but he knows his stuff, and - as far as I can judge (knowing the stuff myself ) explains things from the beginning reasonably well. (It's maybe about 90% the way I'd do it myself - although he's a bit too fond of his vibrato...)

(A fretboard diagram appears after 11.00, as he demonstrates the intervals in a major scale.)

In case you're wondering what the special deal is with "intervals", intervals are how you turn single notes into music; and they operate two ways:

1. Melodic intervals: melodies are sequences of single notes in time, of course, but each one forms an interval with the previous one, and the size or value of those intervals governs how good, memorable or expressive a melody sounds. (Timing and rhythm is the other crucial element.)

2. Harmonic intervals: chords are built out of simultaneous intervals (stacked notes), and the names of the chords derive from their intervals - or rather their most significant intervals. (Eg a "major" chord is so-called because its 3rd is major, a half-step bigger than the 3rd in a "minor" chord.)

I quite like this guy's approach too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW0wVq7LGYg
- except when he went for his "chromatic chant" up the string, 2:35. (IMO, the basic formula for ABCDEFGA is all you need, the sharps and flats take care of themselves after that.) YMMV, however; you may find that useful.

My advice is to read the lessons on musictheory.net (which are also organised in a progressive way, so make sure you start at the beginning), watch both these, and look out for the same info in each place. (eg, look up "intervals" on these other sites.) Often, when something doesn't quite click in one video, book or site, it can make sense in another; everyone has their own ways of explaining stuff, and also their own ways of learning (so one can't say which is the "best" source for everyone).

Here's a site I like, which starts from a more basic level than you normally see: the nature of musical sound itself:
http://www.howmusicworks.org/
(You have to buy their software if you want to hear the sound samples; but the free written info is all good and clear.)
Again, make sure you start at the beginning and work through systematically.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmiguel View Post
Youtube in not a great place to look for good lessons, you can find great videos but its hard to find a lesson program or something that can really teach you to play.
Thanks for responding, but...

a) Have you not heard of Justin Sandercoe?

b) I wasn't asking about a lesson program to teach me to play but rather to learn Music Theory as it applies to guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I don't reccomend ever trying to learn theory on YouTube...yikes.

What do you consider "theory?" If you're learning your first chords, I see absolutely no reason why you should be learning theory, assuming it's actual music theory you're talking about...
Thanks for the response but frankly, it was the opposite of informative and/or helpful.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekygeek View Post
Thanks for responding, but...

a) Have you not heard of Justin Sandercoe?

b) I wasn't asking about a lesson program to teach me to play but rather to learn Music Theory as it applies to guitar.

Thanks for the response but frankly, it was the opposite of informative and/or helpful.

Asking what you consider "theory" so I can help you wasn't informative or helpful? It's a big subject. I need to know what you're looking for to actually be helpful.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
(Very informative post snipped)
Thank you, JonPR for taking the time to share all of that info along with your comments. Very helpful. I'll check your links out.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Asking what you consider "theory" so I can help you wasn't informative or helpful? It's a big subject. I need to know what you're looking for to actually be helpful.
I agree with you, that in an ideal world, we wouldn't have to learn music theory on the web/youtube. But I'm 53, work full time and have family responsibilities. I'm not going to be able to take a university course or hire a private tutor to explain things to me. I'm a pretty self-motivated learner, so I'm working with what I can to learn more.

I may be wrong, but it seems strange to ask someone wholly unacquainted with a topic what they consider the topic to be or ask them what part they want to learn. I would think that the person who had the experience and knowledge would be in a better position to say what they needed to learn and in what order (and what parts did not apply so much to beginning guitar).

If your position is that understanding music theory is not helpful or necessary to learn to play the guitar, or can't be done concurrently to learning to play, then I guess I'd appreciate knowing why you feel that way.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you, JonPR for taking the time to share all of that info along with your comments. Very helpful. I'll check your links out.
Cool. Remember if you have any queries about specific points (in any of those sources or others), we can help here.

BTW, Jeff (mr beaumont) is one of the true gurus around here, so best not to get on the wrong side of him. You wouldn't like him when he's riled....
Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I agree with you, that in an ideal world, we wouldn't have to learn music theory on the web/youtube. But I'm 53, work full time and have family responsibilities. I'm not going to be able to take a university course or hire a private tutor to explain things to me. I'm a pretty self-motivated learner, so I'm working with what I can to learn more.

I may be wrong, but it seems strange to ask someone wholly unacquainted with a topic what they consider the topic to be or ask them what part they want to learn. I would think that the person who had the experience and knowledge would be in a better position to say what they needed to learn and in what order (and what parts did not apply so much to beginning guitar).

If your position is that understanding music theory is not helpful or necessary to learn to play the guitar, or can't be done concurrently to learning to play, then I guess I'd appreciate knowing why you feel that way.
Ok, here's the deal...

Theory is a huge topic...HUGE. And a lot of what guitar players call "theory" isn't actually, it's fundamentals...things like the major scales, the names of the notes on the fretboard, the names of the notes in chords...I wanted to see if that was the stuff you were talking about, because I think that stuff is a GREAT idea to learn along with your first chords...

Music Theory--the actual, theoretical stuff--is deep and complicated...and really, for a person just starting out, there's absolutely no reason to dip into it...most of the time when a beginner does, it bogs them down...truly, real music theory is probably only necessary for people looking to get a composition degree or advanced improvisers...aside from that, it simply doesn't play into a lot of folks' guitar playing...and that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that.

I assumed you had some ideas as to what you wanted to learn--otherwise I didn't think you'd even ask about it...seems to me the question usually comes up when there's something that needs explaining.

So if you have specific questions, I can help you...Otherwise, I recommend a method book--Mel Bay, Leavitt's Modern Method (if you want a real challenge--but it's HEAVY) and start getting to know the fretboard and such-then if you want to get into actual "theory" you'll have a reference...as for YouTube, I still say that's the toughest environment to try and learn something like this--even the beloved Justin Sandercoe, who has great lessons for beginners, is NOT a theory teacher...I watched a video of him about jazz improv once that made my skin crawl...better to have a reference manual you can go back to...even something like "Music Theory for Dummmies" which is actually pretty good, if used as a "look something up" manual and not as a "read cover to cover" book.

Also try and find some teachers--informal ones, just players who are better than you who you can get together with now and then...then you can see what they can do that doesn't make sense and have an actual path you want to take when dipping into theory...

Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks, Jeff. Of course you are right. I really don't know enough yet to even describe which part of the music theory "elephant" I want (or need) to wrap my arms around. I appreciate the Mel Bay books tip, too.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I actually see no reason not to learn a little theory on the side.

I don't know about YouTube vids, but this is a great guitar based book that I recommend to all my guitar students.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitarists-Mus...itarist+theory

Not too advanced or heavy, starts from the beginning and easy to follow.

If you don't understand bits and pieces, I'm sure a question here will yield the answer.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:20 PM

Jack, I'd also like to ask what you consider "theory," and which bits and pieces you think would help a beginner.

I definitely have my ideas, but I'd like to see someone else's too.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM

Thank you, Jack. A guitar-centric book looks good (although I see that this one has many more reviews).

The top review in the link above includes what each chapter of that one covers. Maybe that can help guide discussion of what things are foundational and what are going to be the most helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write