The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-20-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
My neighbours are known for not mincing words
So it seems ...
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 AM

I'm 55 and have played for 40 years. I can't even remember what I've forgotten. Guitar is suppose to be enjoyable so I don't play songs learned in the past that I got bored with. I've learned Classical Gas 3 times and that's it...can't stand it anymore.

Just about every time I pick up the guitar I warm up by running through a few bars of a dozen or so classical pieces and other music that uses finger style. The key I find is to memorize a few essential bars and then improvise a bit with the rest of the piece. If you learn the chord progression and not just the notes then you can fill in those braindead moments with something that sounds like it fits. For example I'll memorize about a third of Pachelbel's Canon in D and then wing the rest of it....there is no 'right' version of it. The same with some pieces by Bach. Something like 'Greensleeves' sounds good regardless of how it's fingered if the notes fit. I don't think I ever play Spanish, Flamenco,Samba the same way twice.
There is a German fellow called Siggy who has lessons on Youtube. He tends to teach 'the approach' to a song rather than all the notes. His method encourages thinking about what's being played and not just memorizing a bunch of notes.

Last edited by raptordigits; 08-20-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Atrocious spelling
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM

I usually play most of the songs I learned everyday, somedays I get stuck in the piece and the only way I can play it is to start at the beginning and somehow my fingers just know where to go. I started playing ukulele during my middle school years and still can play the first 2 songs I learned, I've learned countless songs on the uke since but now I only remember the first 2.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 AM
happiness

The only thing that works for me is practice practice and more practice. If I don't play a song for a while, when I come back to it I find I've forgotten it. So I just keep having to practice the songs that are in my repertoire in order to keep them there. It's getting harder though as I learn more songs!

Fliss
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
The only thing that works for me is practice practice and more practice. If I don't play a song for a while, when I come back to it I find I've forgotten it. So I just keep having to practice the songs that are in my repertoire in order to keep them there. It's getting harder though as I learn more songs!

Fliss
Yes, joking aside, I agree that a more important issue than memory-loss induced by age is volume of material. If you only know a handful of songs, then it's going to be easier to hold onto them. As the number increases, things get more complicated. What makes things worse for me, too, is that I can get greedy and want to learn more songs and at a faster rate than I'm capable of.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:03 AM

What works for me is repetition, repetition, repetition, and then repeat again.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:12 AM

I should have added to my post that understanding music theory is a big help. If the progression of chords or notes of a song 'makes sense' they are easier to remember and also it's easier to improvise. When I was in my teens I memorized all 5 billion notes to a version of Bach's 'Jesus, Joy of Man's Desire'. I'd go half way through and hit some awful discordant note... later with some they under the belt I might not get the 'right' note everytime but it is rarely the 'obvious' wrong note. Or, if I get off track. I can tread water with a few bars and then get back on track.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 AM

Got a cell phone with a record function?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I Belong

Ahh the joys of bcoming more mature (old).
Anymore I am so nervous about remembering any song when I'm playing publicly that I have to have the music in front of me....
I actually have reached a point that I have my own music stand at church that nobody else is allowed to use ..... You know, one of those director's stands with the sides that extend. I can't even remember what the next song is so I have to put them side by side or I get confused in between songs.
2008 Taylor 816CE
2003 Ovation Celebrity Deluxe
197? Sigma Dreadnought (Camp Guitar Extraordinaire)
Old 08-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Default I record what I'll forget

I video pieces I don't want to forget on my digital camera & label the SD card. At 52 I've forgotten more than I know.
Yamaha GL1
Ibanez RG321 MH
Olympia OP-2 12 fret parlor
Danelectro 12 string
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Call me a wild optimist, but I have (perhaps misguided) illusions that I'll actually remember where I live when I reach 60!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Yes, joking aside, I agree that a more important issue than memory-loss induced by age is volume of material. If you only know a handful of songs, then it's going to be easier to hold onto them. As the number increases, things get more complicated. What makes things worse for me, too, is that I can get greedy and want to learn more songs and at a faster rate than I'm capable of.
That's exactly right... If I have learned hundreds of songs (maybe thousands, who knows?) over the years, it's unrealistic to think I'm going to have all of these songs at my fingertips if I haven't played them for a while.

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-20-2009, 03:38 PM

Don't look at the neck when you play. Try closing your eyes when you practice. Learn how to find your way around the neck without using your eyes.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
Don't look at the neck when you play. Try closing your eyes when you practice. Learn how to find your way around the neck without using your eyes.
But how do I read the writing on my brain that I can't seem to find when it's lost.... ???

I just have to keep playing those songs, as many as I can remember. My wife tells me I am staving off Alzheimer's Disease by working up a larger and larger repertoire of songs from memory. I sure hope so...

Regards, Glenn
Old 08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi Hendra...
I play them for others, regularly.

Not only do my gigging partner and I have a weekly gig at a local coffee house, I have a once a month Guitar Society meeting, and I teach many of my arrangements to students. Periodic use is a great way to remember things...

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD