The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-07-2020, 01:04 PM

Default B minor chord

Hello everyone. I’ve posted before about this chord. I’m getting better, but it’s taking more practice than I thought it would take. It seems I have a bit of an easier time when switching from a 4 finger G chord than a 3 finger G. Any suggestions or is it just a matter of more practice. I’m 70 years old so I know that’s part of the issue.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I think most of us have struggled with the Bm chord at some point so you are at a familiar hurdle. Much of guitar technique is “muscle memory” and my suggestion is to just keep playing your chord changes over and over again. One day your fingers will just naturally fall into place and you’ll say “I did it!”. One hundred percent it will happen.

And then, with the Bm behind you, you’ll move to your next hurdle. Welcome to learning guitar.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)

Last edited by MakingMusic; 08-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Loose the first string on the G chord, mute it with the finger on the second string, and you are back to a three finger G. Alternatively loose the B on the fifth string muting it with the finger on the sixth string perhaps.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Years ago I purchased a book with about 5,000 chords. Over the years its been a great resource for alternate fingerings up and down the neck.

Barre chords were difficult in the beginning but over time they became a lifeboat as my guitar coach kept encouraging me to accept the fact that barre chords would open up my learning of "movable" chord shapes up and down the neck.

Keep playing and as others have said, one day you'll find it will become a bit easier, then almost automatic, then natural.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

I started a similar thread last year and a helpful guy named Gene (I think Capefisherman?) suggested identifying which is the finger or fingers that give you most problem (arriving late, placing them poorly, whatever) and focus on getting them down FIRST, and then the rest of the fingers will fall into place. I generally play the Bm (in the context of playing mostly open chords - when I'm playing a bunch of other barre chords, I play it as a barre) with four finger on the four D, G, B, and high E strings. My problem was the pinky and ring finger hitting the D & G strings on the 4th fret.

And his advice worked. It still took a while, but by focusing on getting those two fingers down first, the other two fingers get where they need to go without a problem. It still took some time, but within a few months I was getting very consistent about landing the Bm and now it's almost as automatic as the open chords, although I still screw it up on occasion - mostly if I think about it too much.

But don't feel bad. I'd been struggling with that particular chord over 40 years (in my defense, I was really playing for 30 of those). It's finally getting close to automatic But it took a lot of repetition. I sort of developed a playlist of songs that were heavy on the Bm changes and I'd play through it almost daily just work on that chord form.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 08-07-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Just wondering, are you playing it as a barre chord or just a 4 string chord?
Old 08-07-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd913 View Post
Hello everyone. I’ve posted before about this chord. I’m getting better, but it’s taking more practice than I thought it would take. It seems I have a bit of an easier time when switching from a 4 finger G chord than a 3 finger G. Any suggestions or is it just a matter of more practice. I’m 70 years old so I know that’s part of the issue.
Make an Am chord using Middle finger B string 1st fret, Pinky G string 2nd fret, Ring finger D string 2nd fret. Strum an Am.
Move this configuration up two frets an drop your pointer on the high E string at the second fret. DO NOT play the low E and A strings.
There you have a Jazz chord version of Bm, or a partial chord.
If you drop your pointer across the whole fretboard at the second fret you have a Bm barre chord
Blues.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I started a similar thread last year and a helpful guy named Gene (I think Capefisherman?) suggested identifying which is the finger or fingers that give you most problem (arriving late, placing them poorly, whatever) and focus on getting them down FIRST, and then the rest of the fingers will fall into place.
I somehow stumbled upon that bit of excellent advice on my own. It really helps to plant the fingers (other than the index finger) first and then add the barre. I think it also gives you a feeling of hand stability that makes it then easier to add the index finger. I think for me one of the hard things about barre chords is that you want to apply intense pressure with the index finger and that (for me) restricts the rest of the hand.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-08-2020 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Just wondering, are you playing it as a barre chord or just a 4 string chord?
This is a very good question. Makes a big difference.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 08-07-2020, 07:04 PM

Barre chords are much easier if you have proper technique - guitar held so your hands are in as a neutral a position as possible, thumb behind the neck and parallel with the fret you’re barring and doing the fretting with the edge of the finger - not the flat of it.

Doing a lot of barring with poor technique can cause injuries.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-07-2020, 09:53 PM

I fumble that chord from time to time and I’ve been playing for 8 years.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have you had a set up done? If you put a capo on the first fret is the bm chord a lot easier to play?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-08-2020, 02:38 AM

Quote:
If the barre is the problem with Bm, I suggest this:

E X - mute with index (no need to barre)
B 3 - middle
G 4 - pinky
D 4 - ring
A 2 - index
E X - mute with tip of index

Switching to and from G is easier if you also use your index on 5th string for the G (which is possible in either a 4 or 3 finger version) - although the angle of the index does have to change.

An alternative Bm worth trying is this:

E 2 - middle
B 3 - ring
G 4 - pinky
D 0 -
A 2 - index
E X - mute with tip of index

Again, it works quite well with a G.

BTW, being 70 years old is an issue, in that it will take you longer to develop the necessary flexibility and speed. What takes a kid or teenager a few weeks may take you months (or more!). But - barring injury - it's all still possible.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 AM

I love simplicity. I also love the Bm chord. With one finger, bar strings 1, 2 3 at fret 7. Now you have your Bm! (b, f# d) Allow the 4th string (d) to drone, giving an “additional” d. This will enriched the chord. You’ll like having that 4th string “d” drone because this approach sacrifices the heavy bass b (fret2 heavy a string)

Now, practice songs involving the Bm chord. When the chord changes become reasonably fluid, you can, at your leisure, “go down to the basement” and start kissing notes of the Bm you’re struggling with.

Do not feel obligated to play the full-blown Bm chord. Often, just a note or two works just fine. You can play the chord more “note by note” and it will sound nice if the rhythm (melody) isn’t broken!

Eventually, you’ll have control of the coveted Bm chord!

Last edited by Kittoon; 08-08-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:

You can also play it on different parts of the neck...

for example

4th string - 9th fret

3rd,2nd,1st strings barred with your index finger on the 7th fret

(also someone else mentioned just sliding an A minor chord two frets without playing the 1st string will also work)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write