The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I use the D'Addario "between the strings" humidifiers and remove the soft sponge material and replace it with PVA sponge that can be cut and used as replacement.

The PVA sponge holds something like 10 times the water of the soft sponge and works very well. The built-in sponge pad in my Humidicase housing my Cordoba is this PVA material.

Here's a link to the PVA sponge block that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Shurhold-210-...4050272&sr=8-4

If you're using water beads or some type of specially concocted process and you seldom need to add water then it may be a tip-off that it really isn't humidifying effectively.
Do you need to use distilled water with the PVA sponges?
Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
Do you need to use distilled water with the PVA sponges?
Actually you should use distilled water with ALL of these humidification methods. "Need" is a strong term but you'll definitely WANT to (helps to avoids mold and other ickiness).
Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 AM

I use the D'Addario you have pictured, as well as clay humidifiers. I like both. The clay seems to last longer - Calgary is a very dry place, at times (though not today - snowfall warning in affect!)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the ideas: I've been using the D'Addario basic ones and I keep my acoustics in their cases as the humidity level can drop to the low 20s here. However, as others have said, the sponges don't hold water all that well and I have to refill them at least once a week ... plus they are getting old. So I'm looking for something to replace the sponges or maybe something to add to the case. Because of space limitations I really can't keep my cases lying down so I don't want to use something like the water beads in a soap holder. I think I will buy one of those super absorbent sponges and cut the parts out to fit inside my plastic units.

Moreover I have three semi-hollow body electrics that I should also think about protecting. I have one of those Damp-Its but I've never used one and I've read that sometimes you have to use more than one. I do have space to keep the cases horizontal so I think I will try those water beads.

And yes, I'm the guy who had the top crack on my Alvarez AD710 a few years back when I left it out on its stand. So it does happen.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Thanks for the ideas: I've been using the D'Addario basic ones and I keep my acoustics in their cases as the humidity level can drop to the low 20s here. However, as others have said, the sponges don't hold water all that well and I have to refill them at least once a week ... plus they are getting old. So I'm looking for something to replace the sponges or maybe something to add to the case. Because of space limitations I really can't keep my cases lying down so I don't want to use something like the water beads in a soap holder. I think I will buy one of those super absorbent sponges and cut the parts out to fit inside my plastic units.

Moreover I have three semi-hollow body electrics that I should also think about protecting. I have one of those Damp-Its but I've never used one and I've read that sometimes you have to use more than one. I do have space to keep the cases horizontal so I think I will try those water beads.

And yes, I'm the guy who had the top crack on my Alvarez AD710 a few years back when I left it out on its stand. So it does happen.
I've been able to use the clay humidifiers with my case upright. I sit them on the little "ledge" where the accessory "box" is.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-19-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Actually you should use distilled water with ALL of these humidification methods. "Need" is a strong term but you'll definitely WANT to (helps to avoids mold and other ickiness).
THIS.

The PVA sponge material isn't any more likely to harbor mold than a conventional sponge, but using distilled water will help prevent that, regardless of the type of humidification you use. Water that's labeled as purified is also fine to use. It also has less chance of harboring mold spores.

The replacement PVA material is inexpensive, so if you notice any spots forming just cut a new piece and toss the old sponge.

Any type of humidifier that uses evaporation may result in calcium or mineral build up in the media, but with small guitar humidifiers it washes out and is not a problem. Mineral build-up is more of an issue in a room or whole house humidifier where the media has to be changed once in a while.

Some folks use the ultrasonic humidifiers, but "white dust" that forms on everything is often a by-product. Sometimes when looking for a solution you end up trading one problem for another.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
THIS.

The PVA sponge material isn't any more likely to harbor mold than a conventional sponge, but using distilled water will help prevent that, regardless of the type of humidification you use. Water that's labeled as purified is also fine to use. It also has less chance of harboring mold spores.

The replacement PVA material is inexpensive, so if you notice any spots forming just cut a new piece and toss the old sponge.

Any type of humidifier that uses evaporation may result in calcium or mineral build up in the media, but with small guitar humidifiers it washes out and is not a problem. Mineral build-up is more of an issue in a room or whole house humidifier where the media has to be changed once in a while.

Some folks use the ultrasonic humidifiers, but "white dust" that forms on everything is often a by-product. Sometimes when looking for a solution you end up trading one problem for another.
I forgot this, as well. I always use distilled water. Always.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 11-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I use the sponge in a perforated baggie that is placed behind the heel. When it gets really cold I add the D’Addario soundhole sponge humidifier.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 PM

I use the Boveda system. Works great. I also use Sensorpush to monitor the humidity and temperature. Great combination.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:48 AM

Hi, I'm revisiting this post because although it's late August here in New York, winter and low humidity is just around the corner and I need to do something for my acoustics as I plan to buy another one soon and I hope a better one by the end of the year.

I ordered one of those sponges but I just couldn't find a good way to cut it into small pieces to fit into my basic D'Addario soundhole units.,

Any tips on how to do it? I just have basic tools and less-than-basic skills and patience.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-21-2020, 11:10 AM

To me , it’s a thousand times easier to simple humidity the whole room, for multiple reasons. If not practical, I personally, would not put ANY sort of water-based contraption inside the guitar. Water damage is most unforgiving.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:49 PM

I like the Music Nomad. My sponge got moldy so I will need to get another sponge. My favorite is a sponge in a soap case. No need to worry about getting distilled water. I actually have not been using a humidifier. Don't really need in N California.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
I like the Music Nomad. My sponge got moldy so I will need to get another sponge. My favorite is a sponge in a soap case. No need to worry about getting distilled water. I actually have not been using a humidifier. Don't really need in N California.
Btw, I just used the Music Nomad suggested way to remove that mold: You spray it with lemon juice (I just doused ine) and then scrub it with a mixture of salt and warm water. It worked very well on my ragged Planet Waves sponge.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-21-2020, 07:21 PM

During the summer, I use an oversized Epiphone case to house my Martin. It has enough space for a coffee cup of water about 1/2" away from the headstock. Sometimes I boil the water in the microwave so there will be steam after I lock up the case. I put a buffer between the cup and the headstock to protect it. I also put a Nomad in the sound hole. It works well for Arizona dryness. For additional feeding I sometimes put the guitar on a stand in the bathroom whilst taking a shower. Every little bit helps. In the winter I use a Vicks vaporizer in the room as I mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 08-21-2020, 07:53 PM

I have several but the ones I prefer are home-made, using flower beads in 2 cotton packets which in turn are enclosed in fleece pouches held together by a ribbon so it can drape over the strings on either side of the soundhole. Though very slow to fill (gives me an excuse to play), they last far longer than anything else I have used.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion