The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 PM

For me, the 1970s is crowded with good albums - the year 1970 alone had so much going on in several different genres, whether it be folk, instrumental, progressive rock, country, reggae - to pick a single album from one year trivializes this period. I don’t want to sound like a snob. On the other hand, looking at the entire decade there was a couple of groups that are/were overrated and represent a dead end of/in a certain style - usually pop-rock acts that capitalized on image while exploiting African American blues. I won’t mention any names. The 1970s was a *deep* artistic and musical decade.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-25-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

"We're gonna need a bigger basket"

YouTube
Old 10-25-2019, 05:01 AM

I know this is a laid back acoustic guitar forum (I like it too!), but back in the day I got off on the raggae thing;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8Z_71sF4LU

I really miss being "bullet proof".

Fog
Old 10-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
For me, the 1970s is crowded with good albums - the year 1970 alone had so much going on in several different genres, whether it be folk, instrumental, progressive rock, country, reggae - to pick a single album from one year trivializes this period. I don’t want to sound like a snob. On the other hand, looking at the entire decade there was a couple of groups that are/were overrated and represent a dead end of/in a certain style - usually pop-rock acts that capitalized on image while exploiting African American blues. I won’t mention any names. The 1970s was a *deep* artistic and musical decade.
It's not about picking the objective best of each year. Just your personal favorite. Don't read so much into it.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
It's not about picking the objective best of each year. Just your personal favorite. Don't read so much into it.
Don't read so much into it. Poster Jaden understands the premise of the thread. Jaden is just critiquing that premise and providing a personal opinion on 70s music, in general--discussion elements that obviously exist within the natural purview of exchange of ideas one would expect to encounter within any specific AGF thread.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:49 AM

The '70's were the Golden-Age of rock and roll. There's no need to go to that much effort for me. The best album of the '70's was Dark Side Of The Moon. There were too many great albums and bands in the era where the ideal was to be different than everyone else, not the same as.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:02 AM

The thing about the late '60s and into the '70s, was that it seemed like there was a forward progression to the music. That is, each performers newest album was a leap forward in creativity, imagination, complexity, and sophistication. People eagerly awaited the next album to see where they were going. Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell being a good example. It didn't always work, but it seemed like music was more important than just product, to us young folks at the time.

Contrast to popular music today where each artists newest work is a rehash of what the data says will sell, and any progression is in the area of self-obsession.

Yes, old man who wants you off my lawn.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Don't read so much into it. Poster Jaden understands the premise of the thread. Jaden is just critiquing that premise and providing a personal opinion on 70s music, in general--discussion elements that obviously exist within the natural purview of exchange of ideas one would expect to encounter within any specific AGF thread.
I'm not sure he does, and now I'm not sure you do.

Having a personal favorite album doesn't trivialize anything else. Regarding it as trivializing requires it to be taken as more than just an expression of personal taste.

As to the rest of the opinions he expressed, sure, they're valid things to be discussing. I'm only taking issue with the critique of the premise.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
The thing about the late '60s and into the '70s, was that it seemed like there was a forward progression to the music. That is, each performers newest album was a leap forward in creativity, imagination, complexity, and sophistication. People eagerly awaited the next album to see where they were going. Led Zeppelin, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell being a good example. It didn't always work, but it seemed like music was more important than just product, to us young folks at the time.

Contrast to popular music today where each artists newest work is a rehash of what the data says will sell, and any progression is in the area of self-obsession.

Yes, old man who wants you off my lawn.
There are a lot of kids on that lawn. I meet young people all the time who listen to "classic rock" rather than current releases. I've asked them why, and they all say the same thing: The new stuff sounds generic. I'm happy for them that they're not just accepting what they're fed, but I'm sad for them that their generation is not getting the chance to do what our generation did and make their own creative mark. They have to be content with our generation's worn-out hits.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
our generation's worn-out hits.
I can't agree with the bolded part. And by the way . . .

Old 10-25-2019, 12:30 PM

'70 Tea For The Tillerman, Cat Stevens
'71 Blue - Joni Mitchell, John Prine, John Prine
'72 Harvest, Neil Young
'73 Desperado, Eagles
'74 Apostrophe ('), Zappa
'75 Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
'76 Warren Zevon, Warren Zevon
'77 Runnin' On Empty, Jackson Browne
'78 Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Springsteen
'79 **** the Torpedoes, Tom Petty

Just couldn't pick between Joni and John in '71. I still listen to both of those albums a lot.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"

Last edited by sad99; 10-25-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Hard to just pick one
1970 - After the Gold Rush, and Bridge Over Troubled Water
1971 - Led Zeppelin IV, and Songs of Love and Hate
1972 - Harvest, and Transformer, and Thick as a Brick, and Can't Buy a Thrill
1973 - The Dark Side of the Moon, and Desperado
1974 - Late for the Sky, and The Heart of Saturday Night
1975 - Born To Run, and Blood on the Tracks, and One of These Nights, and Wish You Were Here
1976 - Hotel California, and The Pretender, Turnstiles, Silk Degrees
1977 - Aja, and Rumours, and Talking Heads: 77, and The Stranger, and Before And After Science
1978 - The Cars, and Some Girls, and Ambient 1:Music for Airports
1979 - Fear of Music, and Rust Never Sleeps, and Breakfast in America, and the B-52's, and Communique
Perhaps my favorite album of the decade.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
1970 Trespass - Genesis
1971 Led Zep IV
1972 Thick as a Brick – Jethro Tull
1973 Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
1974 Relayer – Yes
1975 WYWH – Pink Floyd
1976 Hotel California – The Eagles
1977 Rumours – Fleetwood Mac
1978 Please Don’t Touch – Steve Hackett
1979 The Wall – Pink Floyd
Interesting to see a British perspective - more prog for us limeys, I think. Great choice of 'Trespass', which is still my favourite Genesis album, even though I grew up in the Collins era. Rick Wakeman's 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' would have to supplant 'Relayer' for me for 1974, but I'd pick 'Close To The Edge' over Tull for 1972. This is tough with just so much great prog in the 70s, alongside some fine West Coast albums too. And there was all the great heavy rock of the period too - not mentioned too much so far: Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc and folk rock too. I'm going to have to think long and hard over this one to nail my favourites.

Really good idea for a thread, though please don't let someone start a similar one for the 60s - any single year from '66 to '69 would just finish me off, let alone a decade.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I notice a lot of the same stuff I grew up with on people's list, a lot of us are around the same age.

However, I also notice a lot of non acoustic stuff.

If I made a list today, it wouldn't contain a lot of the stuff I thought was "great" at the time.
Well, yeah, I've only recently come to appreciate acoustic over electric. My acoustic heroes are far more recent than the 70s, but I'm finally working on my acoustic backlog. Came home from a record shop sidewalk sale this past weekend with some Arlo Guthrie and Leo Kottke - picked up some Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton a couple months ago. Still, it's the art rock / punk / power pop that spoke to me in the 70s (and always will).
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
I can't agree with the bolded part. And by the way . . .

Funny you should post that today. I just got home from watching John Hiatt sing "Perfectly Good Guitar" (among others, of course).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic