The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 08:31 AM

Restate the question, suggesting a free powered string winder would be included in the string deal and watch the reaction.

It’s all about the strenuous effort involved in changing them, not the money.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

The only time the cost of strings is something I really notice is if I have a new acoustic and I'm trying several types of string on it to see which I like best. I might go through 6-8 sets of strings over a few week period and if some of those are the over $10 types, it adds up. Although I've gotten to the point where I pretty much prefer Monels on almost everything, and occasionally DR Sunbeams even more than Monels on some guitars. So going forward, I'll probably skip the extended drama and just go with one of those two.

BUT, when I'm in a stable state with my gear, as I have been for many months and am now, the cost of strings is a non-issue. I have two electrics, which I don't play all that much, I play DR Pure Blues on both of those. These are inexpensive strings and I should change them more than I do, but I just changed them after several months. I didn't realize how much the old ones had lost until I put the new ones on and, yeah, it was a big difference. So I should probably change them every three months whether they need them or not. I have ONE acoustic and it LOVES Monels, and they last a pretty long time. But since it's my only acoustic and I've been playing acoustic a LOT lately, I do change them every two or three months and they're usually ready. They still sound good when I take 'em off, but the new sound better by the second or third day.

So, realistically, no difference if they dropped the prices - I think I'd buy just a few / many sets as I have been.

-Ray
Old 12-04-2020, 08:39 AM

No. I change strings as soon as they start sounding dull. Strings are cheap as it is, and the cost of them doesn't hold me back.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I might stock up on a brand that I like or try a brand out of curiosity but tone is why I change strings and that would still be my main motivation for changing strings.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion