The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 09:45 PM

Looks awesome but has always seemed to lack something when I've tried it. My expectations are low cuz of this.
  • Gibson J-15
  • Taylor 514CE
  • Taylor 254CE DLX
  • Taylor 214CE
Old 12-01-2020, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I haven't tried a koa guitar in quite a while, and those I tried were all new.

I love the look, but I've never bonded with the tone of those I tried (and some were sole luthier built instruments). I could never figure out what it was, but when the owner of the shop described the tone as hollow and crackly I thought 'yea, that's what I hear too'.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 12-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got two and they are very, very different beasties.

The Taylor koa/cedar K14c GA guitar is the lightest acoustic I've ever played. It is resonant, intimate, and delicate, with very fine trebles, a controlled upper-midrange, and a full midrange that begins rolling off around 160hz. It is the most responsive combination I've ever experienced and has a wide dynamic range. The trade-off is that it doesn't compress much, instead going into a jangly overdrive when pushed. The back and sides are moderately flamey. This one is twenty years old.

The Taylor koa/sitka GA guitar is far different from the K14c. It is heavier, really a guitar of average weight. It less resonant than the K14c so you aren't as rewarded on the backside of the instrument as much. It also isn't nearly as responsive and dynamic an instrument, as you would expect from a sitka-topped guitar. However, it has its own rewards. The top compresses nicely when pushed. In the studio it can be a maid of all duties and sits in a combo really well. It is nineteen year old.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Best guitar I have is a Collings Koa 000 with a German top.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM

I have a 2016 all Koa K62ce limited Edition Taylor 12 string.
very warm sound (but maybe a 12er is more naturally warm sounding than a 6 string) not bright.
I bought it used from a friend who owns a lot of guitars and I don't think it saw a lot playing. I'll be interested to see if it matures as much as the Reverend Roy post describes , as I play it about an hour each day and have for the last few months.
It is my only 12 and I intend to keep it .

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 12-02-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Kampgrounds of America?
That's funny. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the title.

Can't wait for summer!
scott
Old 12-02-2020, 09:49 AM

I happended to get a Larrivee L-03 koa back and sides...
The builder apparently made some forty then, half L and half LV as I once read.
Unfortunately, I cannot say much since I never had a chance to compare with any other similar non koa guitar.
It sounds quite better than the OM03-R I once got and as good as the OM-09 I do own.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:07 AM

Recently picked up a Martin 00C Custom Shop, 14 fretter, w/highly flamed Koa back and sides and a grade 8 Adi top. Its the only Koa guitar I have played for any time and I would say it's somewhere between Mahogany and Rosewood, if I were to generalize. It has the strong mids and fundamentals found in hog but with more depth and overtones like RW, but not as deep, if that makes any sense. Woody, warm and dry also come to mind. It is also the only Adi top I've ever played, and find it has a huge dynamic range. I would buy another guitar with this wood combo in a heartbeat, in fact, I'd love to hear a dread version.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie2blue View Post
Best guitar I have is a Collings Koa 000 with a German top.
My brother-in-law has two koa/German Collings, an OM and a SJ. They are spectacular guitars, as I am sure your 000 is.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

When I think koa, I think balance and a “sweet” tone (because of the balance). I think it pairs best with an Adi or Euro spruce top even though my first experience playing one was a Taylor K-24 that was all koa and wonderful (never got it out of my head). Quality of wood and skill of the luthier with it is a big factor.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-02-2020, 12:46 PM

It's beautiful to look at, if that's your thing. Pretty meh for me after that.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely fantastic tonewood in experienced hands. I think of it as like mahogany with more compression on the attack. It's sweeter and more rounded off on the top end than mahogany. Pairs brilliantly with Engelmann and German spruce for fingerstyle. Very lightweight.

In broader market applications, Koa sells extremely well because it's pretty. It remains vastly underrated for its tone, which can be difficult to grasp in factory guitars. Perhaps the best build tactic I've seen in large scale manufacturing is Martin's 000-28K Authentic 1921. Those can be fabulous.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I don't like the upcharge you usually have to pay to get it. Australian Blackwood, some Walnut, Lacewood, and other tonewoods have a similar sound for less. Are we just paying for scarcity these days with Koa? I mean many luthiers can give you bright, clean and so on with Maple.
Agree with the Australian blackwood.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 12-03-2020, 05:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Koa can stand alongside any back and side wood. I have twice had my koa guitars favored in direct comparison with pre-war martins of the same size. One was a koa and Sitka spruce OM I made that was displayed with a dealer who also had a '30's Martin OM-28 in stock. When someone would ask to play the OM-28, they would put mine in a stand next to it. On multiple occasions my koa guitar was chosen over the OM-28. I know this because two of their customers emailed me afterword to tell me of their preference.
On another occasion, I made a Koa and red spruce OO size guitar for a player who had a '32 Martin OO-18. A few days after I got the guitar to him, he called to say "Bill, this thing sounds better that my '32".
In the right hands, koa can have a sound on par with any wood.
Old 12-04-2020, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
I don't like the upcharge you usually have to pay to get it. Australian Blackwood, some Walnut, Lacewood, and other tonewoods have a similar sound for less. Are we just paying for scarcity these days with Koa? I mean many luthiers can give you bright, clean and so on with Maple.
Might depend on the builder and the quality of the koa. I have guitars in koa, Aust blackwood and claro walnut, and the upcharge was much the same for all of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion