The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2019, 08:52 PM

I haven't yet seen the movie but my father served aboard the Midway during his 30 year US Naval career. About 10 years ago he and I went to San Diego to tour his old ship. As he was signing the guest book the young lady working there asked him if he'd been there before.

"Young lady, I lived aboard her for 18 months" was his reply. As soon as he said that she jumped up and showed him the special book that was set aside for those who'd served aboard the Midway. From that moment on he was treated like royalty! I have always been proud of my Dad's service but that day was truly special. At 80 years old, he couldn't help smiling a lot and telling me stories about all the different areas of the ship.

On the flight deck, we walked over to some chairs that were set up to hear a former pilot give an account of what it was like to take off and land on the Midway. The gentleman was waiting for his next talk to start when he and my Dad started talking. It turns out he and my Dad just missed one another while serving on the Midway. The pilot served his tour and shipped out one week prior to my Dad reporting aboard, then one week after my Dad's tour was up this pilot returned to be the Air Boss (the officer in charge of the aircraft aboard.)

As they were reminiscing, people started gathering around to listen. Pretty soon the former pilot noticed the time and jumped up to start his talk but many folks just asked him and my Dad to just keep telling their stories.

When we were walking around the hangar deck, I noticed him looking all around then he suddenly stopped pointing at at the deck, "Right here, down 5 decks was my bunk" he said smiling.

They call the ship and related exhibits "Midway Magic" and l it truly is.

Best,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic