The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-11-2019, 08:37 PM

This should be interesting. A lot of brands I'd not considered or heard of.

I noticed that every set was medium gauge. Had you considered comparing 12's to 13's with any brand/type? Have you thought of trying different hybrid combinations? In my mind (and experience) sometimes it's not the brand of string or standard size that lights up a guitar. After two years of many, many tests on my 814ceDLX it was only last month that I tried a set of Elixir 12-56's (medium-light) that gave this guitar the voice that I think is best suited for it. I had similar experiences with GHS Signature Bronze strings.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-11-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
This should be interesting. A lot of brands I'd not considered or heard of.

I noticed that every set was medium gauge. Had you considered comparing 12's to 13's with any brand/type? Have you thought of trying different hybrid combinations? In my mind (and experience) sometimes it's not the brand of string or standard size that lights up a guitar. After two years of many, many tests on my 814ceDLX it was only last month that I tried a set of Elixir 12-56's (medium-light) that gave this guitar the voice that I think is best suited for it. I had similar experiences with GHS Signature Bronze strings.
I thought about it, but one variable at a time. Otherwise the project would take forever.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Medium gauge strings are what work best for manly men like Dwasifar and me. When you've got THIS much hair on your chest, you don't want to play a guitar strung with sissy light gauge strings like those favored by veterans of the former East German Women's Track and Field team - nope, when we get done doin' manly stuff like bronco bustin', cattle wranglin', horse brandin' and saloon drankin', spittin' and fightin', we want to have manly strings on our guitars that remind us of the bob wire we spent yestiddy strangin' along the boundaries of the South Forty.

It just works best for the manly kind of music we like to play...

C'mon, Dwas, let's go get them matchin' tattoos we was talkin' about gittin'.

˙˙˙

Wade Hampton "Yee HAW!" Miller
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Medium gauge strings are what work best for manly men like Dwasifar and me. When you've got THIS much hair on your chest, you don't want to play a guitar strung with sissy light gauge strings like those favored by veterans of the former East German Women's Track and Field team - nope, when we get done doin' manly stuff like bronco bustin', cattle wranglin', horse brandin' and saloon drankin', spittin' and fightin', we want to have manly strings on our guitars that remind us of the bob wire we spent yestiddy strangin' along the boundaries of the South Forty.

It just works best for the manly kind of music we like to play...

C'mon, Dwas, let's go get them matchin' tattoos we was talkin' about gittin'.
Yeah! And we don't care how heavy our headstocks git, neither!

The only reason I ain't still stringin' em up with that there bob wire is that I can't git that round-core bob wire no more.

Ptoo! *clang!*
Old 10-11-2019, 11:47 PM

Don't know if I missed it while reading through the thread, make good, consistent recordings to compare various playing styles you may have, and keep track of what's what. I know you're keeping notes, but having the audio is best for a comparison such as this.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Don't know if I missed it while reading through the thread, make good, consistent recordings to compare various playing styles you may have, and keep track of what's what. I know you're keeping notes, but having the audio is best for a comparison such as this.
Been thinking about that. Wondering how to be sure I'm playing consistently from set to set.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Yeah! And we don't care how heavy our headstocks git, neither!

The only reason I ain't still stringin' em up with that there bob wire is that I can't git that round-core bob wire no more.

Ptoo! *clang!*

Yep: round-core Black Diamond brand bob wire is the best you kin get...

whm
Old 10-12-2019, 03:34 AM

Slip in a set of D'Addario Nickel Bronze sometime. I'm not a fan of monel strings, but these nickel-bronze sound really good on my OM.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Here are five more that will be in the test, which I already had before I placed the order:

Old 10-12-2019, 09:55 AM

For a giant-string experiment try these. You too Wade.

5string03-1.jpg
Old 10-12-2019, 11:55 AM

I said I was using D'Addarios for a baseline. Not a bassline.

But you're right. They might be giant strings.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
I thought about it, but one variable at a time. Otherwise the project would take forever.
Obviously you know what is best for you. But as you mentioned Sunbeams... They are one of two go-to strings on my D35. And like many, I thought if 12's are good, 13's should be better, no? WRONG. The Sunbeam 13's totally killed the mojo on the D35. It lost both volume and presence. But every guitar is (obviously) different.

Someone mentioned Santa Cruz... Right now I have a set of Straight Up Strings 13's, the similar-but-half-priced versions of the SC's on my 614 and like the sound a lot. You may want to check them out when you get to round 2.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-12-2019, 01:20 PM

You should really try the Phillipe Bosset strings, they are amazing!
Old 10-12-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsed View Post
My Larrivees like the John Pearse strings.
Mine too - 000-40RE Custom. Played JP Phosphor Bronze since I got it this spring. Last week, put on JP 80/20 and am even happier. Seems like there is 10-15% (earball) more volume and wonderful note separation that Larrivees excel at. A bit clangy for a couple days, but then toned down very nicely. Just ordered two more sets.
What JP you using?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
You should really try the Phillipe Bosset strings, they are amazing!
I looked at those on the Strings by Mail site, but seventeen bucks a set is too rich for my blood. That's also why I didn't get the Pyramid Western Folk. Even the Dogals were a stretch.

I'm looking for something in a price range I won't mind buying over and over. If the Bosset or Pyramid are better than anything else I'm trying, I don't want to know, because then I'd always want them but never want to pay what they cost.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion