The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-16-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Taylor 300 Series models with Expression System 2. ES2 is my choice for the best factory-installed system.

Takamine EF340STT and Takamine EF360STT both with TLD LineDriver 2.

Or add a Trance Amulet M Dual Mono Acoustic Guitar System to any decent guitar. Trance is my choice as the best aftermarket system.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-16-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
...I've got the itch to get a guitar with on-board electronics. I want something that I won't be sobbing if it gets a scratch...mostly matters how it sounds plugged in. What are some good "plugged in" choices in the $1k - $2k range?
If you're OK buying used:
  • Find an older ('70s-80s) USA Ovation deep-body/non-cutaway
  • Find a mid-80s Peavey Bandit 65/Special 130 1x12" combo
  • Plug into the low-gain input, set all EQ controls @12:00, turn the Pull Bright off and the Saturation knob to 0, add a little reverb, and set the individual channel Gain/Volume controls to your taste
You'll have a setup that allows you to switch between rhythm/lead or pick/fingerstyle, with loads of clean headroom and all the volume you're likely to need, physically tough as they come, that actually sounds like a loud acoustic guitar (not the edgy, quacky "acoustic-electric" tone customarily associated with the genre), all for well under $1K - this was my go-to rig for 20 years, and although I've played/owned more expensive gear I've yet to find anything better...
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 AM

My 2¢: Don't buy the guitar for the electronics. Buy the guitar you want, add a Fishman Infinity Matrix and invest in a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

That's what you're hearing at a James Taylor, Jason Isbell, Jerry Douglas, John Hyatt or Steve Earle show.

Isbell says he can't tell the difference between the a Fishman Aura and a mic live.

Neither can I.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Based on the OP, I'd pass on the sophisticated and wonderful systems described and go for a basic Takamine or the like, which IMO are designed exactly for what your say you want to do. Seeking amazing amplified acoustic tone soon becomes like changing pickups, effects, tubes, speakers... everything... for an electric. It all makes a difference, and you can definitely get good advice (such as all the stuff in this thread) if you have a tonal goal in mind. On the other hand, though, there's the simplicity of a basic instrument like a Takamine that may never give you the spectacular tones of James Taylor's amplified Olsons, but will serve you well through just about any amp and in just about any room. Just depends on what you want. It's not always necessary or even helpful to chase the most beautiful acoustic tone attainable. If I were a featured or solo performer playing to an audience regularly, I'd look into systems mentioned here. For pick-up gigs of all kinds, I'd go with a reliable Takamine or others.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:22 AM

Theres no substitute for a condenser mic...

Im a purist, I hate the sound from internal pickups, they just sound hollow and dead, but I would agree with the Tak's though as being one of the better.

..and not a whole load of talent.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a K&K in my DM and a Fishman Matrix in my 000M and I have a Takamine P5NC. When played through my Fender acoustasonic or my Trace Elliot none of them can compare to my Takamine P5NC.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Why not just add a pick-up to A guitar you already have, to give you good sound whether plugged-in or not? There are a lot of great minimally evasive options out there these days, and you'd save a lot of cash...
I don't want to add a pickup to a guitar I already have because they don't fit into the "guitar I wouldn't cry over if it got scratched" category.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:19 PM

A Japanese built Takamine is the only way to go at your price point. Great value plug-in-and-go guitars with highly reliable state-of-the-art electronics, quality construction, peerless finish and while they're pretty good unplugged, they sound a million dollars plugged in. A no-brainer, in my opinion.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 02-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
None of my guitars have electronics and occasionally I get the opportunity to play out with others. So, I've got the itch to get a guitar with on-board electronics. I want something that I won't be sobbing if it gets a scratch. For my planned use, unplugged sound quality is secondary; mostly matters how it sounds plugged in. What are some good "plugged in" choices in the $1k - $2k range?
The first question is what is your play style? Are you looking for something to play and sing over? Something to play Finger style or something to flat-pick? You probably do a little of all of these, but which one do you do most often?

With a budget up to $2k you can easily buy a used staple (D18, J-45, etc..) with a few dings already in it and add a great sounding pickup. If you shop around a little you can find one with a great sounding pickup already installed. This is the no-compromise approach.

A lot of people have mentioned Takamine. Takamine innovated in pickup technology in the 90s. But in the past decade or so they have not changed much with their designs. The innovation in pickup technology has come from Fishman (used by Martin, et al), LR Baggs (used by Gibson, et al) and companies like K&K.

Here is a short list of great sounding pro-grade pickups
LR Baggs Anthem
LR Baggs Lyric
LR Baggs Active Element (cuts through great when playing with a full band)
Fishman Aura
Fishman Matrix + external Fishman Aura Spectrum "imaging" DI
K&K Pure (passive) + quality DI like LR Baggs Venue DI

If your budget was under $1000, I would suggest an Alvarez Masterworks (they use B-Band and LR Baggs pickups and they sound great plugged in) or Epiphone Masterbuilt models DR500MCE or AJ45ME. The Nanoflex pickup system they use is no LR Baggs or Fishman, but it probably rivals what Takamine was putting in their guitars in the 1990s and on par with what they are using today.

I would also not rule out the new Taylor Academy series. Haven't played one yet but I know they really impressed a lot of people at NAMM who don't impress so easily.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 02-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:39 PM

If you like the 'Ovation' sound, then...

...impressive pickup and electronics. They can be found on EBay for cheap prices.

I'm also a big advocate of 'mic' modelling technology so I endorse the Fishman Aura System. However this has to be professionally installed on your guitar or you have to go the stomp box route via a piezo UST.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
If you like the 'Ovation' sound, then...

...impressive pickup and electronics. They can be found on EBay for cheap prices.

I'm also a big advocate of 'mic' modelling technology so I endorse the Fishman Aura System. However this has to be professionally installed on your guitar or you have to go the stomp box route via a piezo UST.
IMPRESSIVE PLAYING & TONE! What's even better is an Ovation with the VIP-5 Preamp that has five built-in Aura Images. My now traded Adamas 2080 NWT had this preamp and both its acoustic and amplified tone were superb! I shouldn't have let that guitar go!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-17-2017, 08:12 AM

Based on the reputation, wouldn't:
Rare Earth Blend + any guitar = success?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenGurian View Post
My 2¢: Don't buy the guitar for the electronics. Buy the guitar you want, add a Fishman Infinity Matrix and invest in a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI.

That's what you're hearing at a James Taylor, Jason Isbell, Jerry Douglas, John Hyatt or Steve Earle show.

Isbell says he can't tell the difference between the a Fishman Aura and a mic live.

Neither can I.
Thumbs up to this suggestion for quality. It delivers on quality

Last year I bought a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI (the box Jason Isbell uses and praises) and got to a point where I wouldn't plug-in without. Planned to equip all my guitars with USTs as an affordable way to move forward with plugged in sound. UST's like the Matrix or Baggs Element are easy to install and inexpensive. Also, chances with a used guitar you'll already have a UST system in it

The sells pitch on the Aura Spectrum is that if you pair it with the right image (think amp model in something like a Line6 POD for electric guitar, it's kind of the same thing but for acoustic modeling), you end up with a plugged in sound that models the tone of a microphone placed in front of the guitar combined with the UST blended in.

The down side of the Aura Spectrum approach.

1. To get optimal sound out of it, you have install the Fishman library software on your computer, plug the box into your computer and download the latest images

2. You have to spend a few hours tinkering with the images and microphone combos to find the best sound for your guitars and there isn't always a perfect match. For my Gibson WM-45, I go with one of three built in J-45 images, my favorite is one Fishman created using a $2000 Neumann microphone, my other favorite is J-45 image they created with a Sure SM57. I have a solid cedar top Alvarez that is similar in shape to a Taylor GS body style. After experimenting with a lot of images I decided on the Lowden F35C image with Neumann mic model. Even paired with the inexpensive stock BBand UST in the Alvarez it sounds great plugged in. So there Aura Spectrum is kind of a tinker toy. Probably not a tool if you're looking for a solution that requires no work at all.

I own a Sure SM57 and decided to have a friend of mine help me with a blind fold test. Playing my guitar though the PA with SM57 in front of it vs going through the pickup and Aura Spectrum using the spectrums SM57 + J-45 image with the blend set to 60% image 40% UST with the EQ flat UST I could not hear a difference. When playing with a full band I turn the blend knob to about 30% image and 70% pickup/UST sound and it works great. Add a sound hole plugger and you will never experience feedback.

The Aura Spectrum DI retails for around $400 so it would eat up a big part of the OPs budget. Since he's looking for the best quality, least expensive solution I'm not sure this is the best path. The Martin Retro's have the Aura technology built in but are outside OPs budget, however the Martin DCAura GT has the same imaging technology built into the guitars pre-amp these run $1400-$1600 used so that might be an option.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 02-17-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Since you have a budget up to 2K, I'll endorse the Rainsong Shorty. Can't beat it for worry-free playing out (or playing in - it's what sits out on the stand all the time at my house). The sound is fine, plugged-in or not, but it's not going to make you want to sell your expensive and pristine wooden beauties.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I'm aurally allergic to piezo pickups.

IMO to get any respectable sound from an acoustic you need a microphone

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification