The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2020, 02:36 PM

Expectations aren't always met. Easy to dream about "the one" especially when you can build something to your own specifications but that doesn't always lead to expectations.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:14 AM

Thumbs up

This is an interesting thread! Credit to OP Carol for asking the question. A lot of very insightful comments from members here who own boutique guitars.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 12-04-2020, 10:24 AM

To buy an 10K beauty. (The result, however, is not always an improvement)
Old 12-23-2020, 02:22 AM
Charter Member

Edited by member.

Last edited by AH Acoustic; 02-08-2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:29 AM

I seem to think something is exactly what I want but for some reason the next year or season I'm thinking something else would be better.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 12-23-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Spending up-front money on an unplayed, dream guitar is part calculated risk, part playing with fire.
Exactly. In my case it was an easy lesson.

I've only done this one time, and the purchase was based on hearsay. The Brazilian rosewood parlor guitars from this builder were getting great reviews by players on the forums and elsewhere around the 'net. The builder was using very good quarter-sawn wood.

When the guitar arrived, I was REALLY disappointed. The detail and finish were not up to my (reasonably moderate) expectation. The wood was slab/rift sawn (I prefer quarter). The design, at a glance, was good. Close up, the execution, particularly the side bending, was bad. It also sounded bad right out of the case, but many guitars do. I gave it some time to wake up, but it just never met my expectations.

I believe it had to do with recorded sound versus live sound. Some guitars record better than others that sound good live, and I'd only heard these on my sound system; never in person.

Anyway, I sold the guitar for exactly what I paid, and that was that.

The only other unique guitar I own was love-at-first-sight/play, and I've had it so long I've gotten to the age I realize I can't take it with me. That will be the motivation for its sale. The real problem with it now is it's too good to touch. I don't want its perceived perfection in my eyes and brain to be altered by a neck reset, and it now needs one. I've been waffling over what to do about this for a year....

This is an intersting subject to me, as I have made three custom guitars for others. I now have to wonder what they think of those guitars in light of this discussion.

Last edited by H165; 12-23-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 AM

For me it’s easier to sell the more $ guitar instead of the not so exspensive one because with the premium price you also raise expectations.
I dont mind that the tiny miss match in what i want and what i got with the 2000 dollar guitar. But if things are not **** perfect with the one costing me a fortune it will bug me.
And things rarely are perfect meaning it goes and by just selling one guitar it covers all needed in order to get the next dream guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion