The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2020, 02:43 PM

Default Fantasy digital pickup amplifier

I did a search and found nothing discussing this idea. I assume it is out there so here goes.
It seemed a lot of space is given to the idea that certain pick-ups and amps will come “closer” to the true sound of the guitar. But no one seems to feel that amplified sound is ever exactly the same as the acoustic sound.
If they can make a digital keyboard sound like so many different instruments, why not a digital pickup to computer to amplifier system that could be fine tuned to the sound you are hoping for?
I am expecting that this is where you guys stop me and tell me about some system, maybe the acoustasonic, which I do not know much about. If not, let me expand the thought.
So here is my wish/fantasy. A sound hole pick-up that runs to a computer and then to an amp. The program would let you pick not just electric guitar or acoustic or classical, but even the brand and model.
I could grab my generic guitar and pop in my “sound hole magic” pick-up that runs a usb straight into my laptop. I could then decide that today I want to play a D-18 sound. Tomorrow a classical. Monday a J-45. I could ask the program to give me spruce top or mahogany. Back and sides rosewood, or hog, or maple. The combinations could be endless and fairly close to the sound of said guitar. I know each guitar’s sound is different from each sample of the same guitar model, but we could hear the differences to some extent.
So total fantasy or already at the store? Tell me.
Thanks
Whvick
Old 03-28-2020, 03:09 PM

Didn't Martin already do this?
A pick up that makes the guitar sound like an old Martin guitar.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 AM

Default Fantasy digital pickup amplifier

Thanks L20A,
M Hayden listed a couple of DI units that pretty much cover my fantasy.
I watched this demo of the Fishman Aura, and what got my attention even more than the DI, was the little magic act this guy unconsciously does with his pick as he changes from flat picking to finger picking.

https://youtu.be/6Z8uz8QTeWI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification