The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-22-2020, 04:04 PM

Default What EQ bands for Acoustic Guitar Pedal?

If you could choose your own personal 6 or 7 frequencies for an Eq pedal for acoustic guitar what would be your ideal?

These are a selection of popular frequencies (two are bass pedals):

Boss GE7: 100/200/400/800/1.6kHz /3.2kHz /6.4kHz
Trace Elliot: 50/100/330/1kHz/3.5kHz/10kHz/15kHz
LR Baggs Align: 85/350/700/1.6kHz/4.8kHz/10kHz
Boss GEB-7: 50/120/400/500/800/4.5kHz/10kHz
Boss GE-7B: 62/125/250/500/1kHz/2kHz/4kHz

(AER compact 60 has a fixed mid of 1kHz but Q will be wider than 7 band pedal)

If you could choose your own personal frequencies for a 7 band graphic Eq for Acoustic guitar what would you choose?

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
If you could choose your own personal 6 or 7 frequencies for an Eq pedal for acoustic guitar what would be your ideal?

These are a selection of popular frequencies (two are bass pedals):

Boss GE7: 100/200/400/800/1.6kHz /3.2kHz /6.4kHz
Trace Elliot: 50/100/330/1kHz/3.5kHz/10kHz/15kHz
LR Baggs Align: 85/350/700/1.6kHz/4.8kHz/10kHz
Boss GEB-7: 50/120/400/500/800/4.5kHz/10kHz
Boss GE-7B: 62/125/250/500/1kHz/2kHz/4kHz

(AER compact 60 has a fixed mid of 1kHz but Q will be wider than 7 band pedal)

If you could choose your own personal frequencies for a 7 band graphic Eq for Acoustic guitar what would you choose?

Thanks for your input!
It really depends on your guitar and the context in which you're using it, so there's no simple answer to this question. If I were picking it for my own set up, I would choose the Baggs, but only because for my particular guitars the center points for mid-range cuts are usually around 700-750Hz and 1-1.5kHz.

All-in-all, however, I prefer to work with parametric EQ controls and to use a HPF to control the low-end when necessary.

Louis
Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM

I use the Boss GE-7. It has enough gain on tap for a boost too.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:08 AM

Im with Louis on this .
I prefer the parametric with hi and lo cut.
But from your list a above the geb7
comes closest to what i need.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:05 AM

It totally depends on the guitar and the room. I like digital eq pedals where you can set your own Q and frequency.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
…If you could choose your own personal frequencies for a 7 band graphic Eq for Acoustic guitar what would you choose?
Hi JJ…

You can already affect most of the range of an acoustic very specifically. Just buy a Grace Felix.

As for which EQ pedal is best, I'd recommend you can figure out the best with any reasonable pedal.

If you want to discover how each frequency affects your guitar, turn one frequency slider up-all-the-way and all the other sliders down-all-the-way and play.

Then work your way through each slider the same way…

Graphic EQ (not Parametric) are not all equal even if they list the same frequencies. The frequencies overlap and affect the central frequency (the one listed) most strongly, but they overlap with the frequencies on either side of it. I like that actually. The width being different means the central frequency of even generically tabled low-mid-high are different on different devices. The tone controls of my Raven Preamp are different than the ones on my acoustic amps, so I can fine tune the output of the amp better using them in combination.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-28-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: added a thought
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Can someone explain in simple terms what parametric EQ is, and why--I gather--it's superior?
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Can someone explain in simple terms what parametric EQ is, and why--I gather--it's superior?
A semi-parametric EQ gives you control over the center-point of the frequency range as well as the amount of cut or boost at that point. A fully parametric EQ also gives you control of the "Q," that is the width of the frequency range. On a graphic EQ, the center-points and Q are fixed, and you only have control over the boost/cut. If those points are what you need, you're in luck.

With a parametric EQ, you can tailor the cuts and or boosts to the specific frequencies you need for a particular guitar, using a particular amp or PA in a particular room or for a particular mix.

For acoustic guitar, semi-parametric control over the mid-frequency range, along with a high pass filter to control the low-end, are usually a good controls to have.

Louis
Old 03-28-2020, 09:56 AM

BOSS GE-7 handles everything very well.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Hi Chriscom

Selectable Parametric EQ controls are sometimes referred to as a 'notch' filter. When doing feedback reduction, it's more like a laser pointer than a shot-gun. It can be dialed in to remove the frequency which is feeding back without removing a whole tonal range above or below the selected frequency.

It's not always superior, just more selective.

Old school mixers often had both a Lo-Cut and Hi-Cut filter (Hi-pass and Low-pass) preset switch on each input channel which were set to reduce extreme bass/treble frequencies starting at a certain frequency, and below/above that specified frequency (they are ordinarily 'shelved' to reduce the volume by half every octave beyond the selected point).

These Days I'm using a ToneDexter with high end mics, and just using the tone controls built into it and the ones on my acoustic amp to adjust tone. To control feedback I use a rubber-plug-in-the-soundhole.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-28-2020, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

lschwart and ljguitar, thanks very much, very helpful. Even I understand it now
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

when I am not using my tonedexter, I’ll use a Grace Alix (parametric EQ) because I like to fine tune the frequencies I want to adjust. Traditional graphic EQ does not allow me that flexibility. My amp allows for that as well.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification