The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Scarlette 2i2 demo, not sure if I'm going to keep it

I may bring this back to GC and go the next step up to the 2i4. I have to turn the mic gain almost to 10 to get a decent level. I looked this up and the 2i2 is known for this input gain level issue and the 2i4 is a bit better in this area.

Here's a demo, watch your volume level if you're wearing headphones. I upped the levels in eq. The guitar is my Larrivee OM-05 with brand new Newtone Masterclass double wound roundcore medium PB strings.
The demo is recorded in my computer/music room. Hard walls and furniture, the wall I'm facing is the less than 4 feet away. Left mic on 12th is the ST 170 ribbon and on the right at the bridge/soundhole is my MXL 990 LC. This is where I do my composing and practicing.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 PM

Hey TB,

I hope you find what you need.

Change of subject but how do you like those Newtone strings?
Old 04-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hey TB,

I hope you find what you need.

Change of subject but how do you like those Newtone strings?
They are a little "zingy" still, I just put them tonight. I'll play on them for a week steady to break them in. I have a feeling they will be good for CGDGCD, I'll try it tomorrow. This demo was in DADGAD.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-06-2019, 02:46 AM

I traded my 2i2 for an Audient ID14 and much prefer it in all areas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 04-06-2019, 03:29 AM

Thumbs up Scarlett Series

That's really clean and beautiful , good job . Yeah judging from what you just recorded a jump
up to the 2i4 is a solid base to work from especially if you have midi hardware you want in the
recording process .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 04-06-2019, 04:06 AM

I wouldn't think there's much difference in quality between the pres on the 2i2 & 2i4. Ribbons in general need a bunch of gain. I have a 2i2 but I use it because it's so easy to pick up and just record something anywhere.
Something more involved I have other stuff. GL!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

I’d be surprised if there was any significant differences in the 2i2 and 2i4 preamps; specs are the same and both are powered by usb. Also, it’s common for these audio interfaces that most of the preamp gain adjustment is near the full clockwise end of the potentiometer.

However, the 2i4 does have more features such as for monitoring.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 04-06-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:58 AM

I doubt there's more pre-amp gain between those two units. I've never had an issues with typical "stage" dynamic mics like Shure SM58, SM57, Beta 58 etc or with inexpensive MXL or Octavia condenser mics, though I use the 2i4 in my "Studio B".

When I want to use a low output dynamic (EV 20 or Shure SM7b) or ribbon with mine I just pop in a Cloudlifter. Bingo! If your ribbon is one of those that can be damaged by phantom power being turned on, the Cloudlifter has a bonus in that it lifts the phantom power protecting the mic.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

So the 2i2 is history, a 2i4 is sitting on my desk. Sample recording at some point soon.

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-06-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
So the 2i2 is history, a 2i4 is sitting on my desk. Sample recording at some point soon.
Thank you for your feedback on the Newtone strings.

To return the favor, I just looked up the differences between the 2i2 and the 2i4. You're not going to get any more gain with the 2i4 than you did with the 2i2. The only differences are 2 additional outputs and pads/low cut filters on the 2i4 mic preamps.

If needing more gain is your complaint, the 2i4 will be history as well. But I want to add that many of these budget interfaces, including the Audient that was mentioned, need to be turned up almost all the way before they provide enough gain for many mics. It's the noise at that level that is the concern and having never used a Focusright I can't comment on that,
Old 04-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Thank you for your feedback on the Newtone strings.

To return the favor, I just looked up the differences between the 2i2 and the 2i4. You're not going to get any more gain with the 2i4 than you did with the 2i2. The only differences are 2 additional outputs and pads/low cut filters on the 2i4 mic preamps.

If needing more gain is your complaint, the 2i4 will be history as well. But I want to add that many of these budget interfaces, including the Audient that was mentioned, need to be turned up almost all the way before they provide enough gain for many mics. It's the noise at that level that is the concern and having never used a Focusright I can't comment on that,
I researched on other forums and the dials on the 2i4 supposedly worked the gain up evenly while the 2i2 just jumped up at almost 10. I let you know what my reality is,

My SoundCloud page

Old 04-06-2019, 06:23 PM

If the Focusrite doesn't satisfy you consider getting an Apogee Duet. The preamp gain is up to 75db, and the preamps are supposed to be quite good. Also, you get the Apogee AD/DA.

I see a bunch of them used on Reverb for $300-$400. That's an amazing price for the high quality AD/DA + 2 preamps. If I was starting over I'd give the Duet serious consideration.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM

I have to agree with others above, there should be no significant gain increase with the 2i4. I'd be surprised if the gain pots are any different (but you may have had a defective one on the 2i2). Ribbon mics typically do require more gain than a USB-powered interface can provide - and there is also the possibility that your USB computer output is not providing enough voltage for the phantom power to supply two mics at full strength.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

The 2i4 seems to be fine. I'll skip using the ribbon mic with it, I have other mics. I bought the Scarlett even though I have a Zoom H5, I feel better having something that can't get knocked off my desk by accident when I want to do a fairly quick recording with mics. The Zoom is still great for capturing ideas with its built in mics.

I just bought a mic stand mount for my Zoom. This really makes recording with it a lot easier.

My SoundCloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD