The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
The same person engineered both SUS and SC strings. Also, they're designed for standard tuning. They're not meant for other tunings.

They sound ok in DADGAD?
I have the SUS medium strings on my short scale Lowden in DADGAD. Sound good to me. I play with fingers and don't use an excessive amount of pressure (for what that's worth).
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 07-02-2018, 09:23 AM

Regarding pricing, a friend gave me a set for free. When I dropped off my Santa Cruz D for work at the factory, Carolyn took pity on me and gave me two for the price of one. That is an average of $6 per set.

Just lucky I guess.

The first set has been on my OM for six months. Still sound great.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have the SUS medium strings on my short scale Lowden in DADGAD. Sound good to me. I play with fingers and don't use an excessive amount of pressure (for what that's worth).
There was thread on SUS and Siminoff (the inventor) actually chimed in with:

"Thanks for this question - it's an important one. The good news is that yes, our strings will "work" for altered tunings (i.e., open D and G tunings, etc.), but the bad news is that they won't work as well as a fully compensated set will for that specific tuning. Here's what happens: we've gone through great efforts to balance the torque loads across the string set(s) for a conventional EBGDAE tuning. When you retune to an altered tuning, and either raise or lower the pitch of a string or strings, the change in pitch changes that string's tension(s) which upsets the apple cart and throws the set's compensated torque loads out the window. For optimum string-to-string balance, sustain, and feel, the only real solution is to change those strings you are re-tuning, to gauges that properly compensate the torque load of the set for that tuning. Unfortunately, that's a very ugly and clumsy solution."

So, I guess they do work, but not as well as standard tuning.

The whole thread is here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=406222
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM

I'm experiencing real cognitive dissonance reading this thread. There are posters here whose sigs show tens of thousands of dollars worth of instruments debating whether $18.00 is too much to pay for a set of strings. I have cheap to modestly priced guitars (bought the Lakewood used) and the SC Parabolics are on my list of strings to try.

Is $18. really too much to spend in the pursuit of better tone, playability, longevity, or whatever else you are questing after in your musical pursuit? I live in San Francisco, a darn hamburger costs twenty bucks here!
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 PM

My first set of SC strings was free. Richard Hoover gave my wife a free set for me when she toured the factory. Since then, it’s about all I have used. I am a subscriber to their string club. In fact, I should have a pair arriving today.

My only complaint is that they can be squeaky. It probably wouldn’t record well.

They last a long time. I’ve got a pair on my Flammang that’s been on there since January. Granted, they’ve been on there about a month too long. But they still sound good. They last longer than nearly anything else I’ve played. The only other string that has been comparable are Wyres and Optima.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
I'm experiencing real cognitive dissonance reading this thread. There are posters here whose sigs show tens of thousands of dollars worth of instruments debating whether $18.00 is too much to pay for a set of strings. I have cheap to modestly priced guitars (bought the Lakewood used) and the SC Parabolics are on my list of strings to try.

Is $18. really too much to spend in the pursuit of better tone, playability, longevity, or whatever else you are questing after in your musical pursuit? I live in San Francisco, a darn hamburger costs twenty bucks here!
Your post made me chuckle because I agree. Seems similar to owning a Ferrari and then buying your tires at Wal Mart on sale or something.
As far as the cost of a burger in San Fran, I love your city and have visited and worked in it a few times, but the cost of stuff there is ludicrous. I know, it's special but ...

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-02-2018, 03:27 PM

$18.00 a set is $22.00 cheaper than a set of Martin Titanium ... pity because I really liked the TI's.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I have always used Martin 12-54 SP PB 7100s on my Martin 000-18. And I have liked those strings just fine. But currently I have a set of the Santa Cruz low tension on the guitar.

At first, I set them to standard tuning. Immediately after stringing, I noted two things. First, they lacked the brightness of the 7100s. The trebles were not dark and muddy - they were clear and even, but the sparkle was not there. Second, I noticed that there was an evenness of responsiveness and tone across the strings. I've continued to recognize that and find it impressive. I don't have a problem with the trebles, but the sparkle remains absent.

I play flesh and nail fingerstyle and enjoy how these play and sound.

I'm experimenting with tuning down a half step. Not sure I like this as well but it hasn't been long enough.

I've also been learning to use a thumb pick - Fred Kelly D2-L-8 (love these!) and like how the bass is strong with a light touch with the Santa Cruz low tension strings, and I am able to keep the strings I touch with fingers and with thumb pick producing similar volume with some care.

They have been on my guitar for about a month and I don't notice any change in how good they sound. Regardless, in a week or two, I'll replace them with the Martin 7100s and see what I gain and what I lose.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
$18.00 a set is $22.00 cheaper than a set of Martin Titanium ... pity because I really liked the TI's.
I think the titaniums might last longer for me though. The longest I had SC LT's on was 5.5 months and the titaniums are going into 5 months now with just a bit of trouble with the 2nd string. I have them in dadgad now and the 2nd string is not acting up so they might go quite a bit longer than the SC LT.

It's hard to tell though because although I keep track of what strings are on what guitar and the dates put on, I don't keep track of the time spent playing on them. I remember playing the heck out of the J-45 back then, and now its in a more normal rotation that depends on tuning and tone.

I'm playing the D-55 with D'Addario NB 11s that were strung up back on 5/28/17. They are like brand new because I never play it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-20-2019, 07:55 AM

I replaced Newtone Heritage with SC mid tension strings on a D28. After a week I’m ready to go back to Newtone on that guitar. The Newtone are more “playable” and sound better. SC’s don’t sound bad but are a bit muffled by comparison and tension feels higher.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:06 AM

Due to creeping decrepitude in both hands, I replaced the SCGC Strings with D’Addario Custom Light on my Cruz and Northwood. The Brondel and Merrill are next.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Does anyone know in what way they are "parabolic?" Or is that hyperbole?
We have a little write up on the SC Brand page on our website as we now carry both varieties. We also list the tensions for each set: https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...ta-cruz-18046/

Also, as previously posted in another thread:

Here's a little interview at NAMM 2018 that explains what they are going for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaICdO8RQZY

Here's a longer podcast with Richard Hoover and Rick Barto of Santa Cruz about the strings:

https://soundcloud.com/rnewman-1/lun...ith-rick-barto

I personally have the low tensions on currently and really really like them. They've been on a couple weeks now and still sounds as fresh as can be.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizango1 View Post
I use the mid tensions on my OM-42 and SCGC OM, and I like the low tensions on my OM-18A. They do last much longer than EJ-16s but not as long as Elixirs however I like the feel much better than Elixirs. Sound-wise to my ears they're close to EJ-16s when EJ-16s are at their best like just after the too-bright newness wears off but before they start to degrade. That sweet spot lasts for a week on EJ-16s but more like two months on the Santa Cruz strings so price wise they are similar but less time is spent changing strings. I'm generally happy with EJ-16s but it's nice to have an excuse to drive downtown and visit the SCGC folks and pick up a few sets.
Totally know what you mean by the sweet spot just before the degrade.
Gibson A4 Mandolin (1913)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:16 AM

I change my SC strings every 6 months whether they need it or not. I find they last that long for me and it makes it easier to keep track. Change batteries in smoke detectors when we re set clocks. That way I can remember all of it and don’t have too much to do at one time. Just received my new strings from Santa Cruz this morning. Happy holidays to me and the guitars.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimi View Post
I replaced Newtone Heritage with SC mid tension strings on a D28. After a week I’m ready to go back to Newtone on that guitar. The Newtone are more “playable” and sound better. SC’s don’t sound bad but are a bit muffled by comparison and tension feels higher.

FWIW, I bought another set of SCGC Mediums to try on my OM-28A and I believe the tension is much higher than stated - much stiffer than the EJ16s they replaced (~160lbs), and pretty similar to the Martin 12.5s I put on immediately afterward which I believe are rated at 175 lbs. I wonder if the 163 lb figure arrived at was on a shorter than standard scale?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion