The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-15-2020, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default recording at home psychology

When i've recorded in studios, I was aware of "the clock"-- time spent equals money spent. Recording at home affords me endless time which has lead me to this syndrome of, "I could do this even better."

What is a good strategy to deal with this? Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-15-2020, 07:18 AM

I've been doing home recording since 1970. As my playing and recording skills have gotten better over the years my recordings have also. But, I've never made a perfect recording, and I don't expect I ever will. I merely try my best, and have come to accept that something less than perfection will result.

Have I done 10 takes to try to "nail" that lead part? Sure. 20 takes? You bet. 50 takes? Yup, a few times. More than 50? Probably. But, there is a point when I realize I've captured my best, and that's where it ends. How do I know when that happens? Usually my body tells me. My hands/wrists become fatigued. My mind tells me. I lose my ability to totally concentrate on playing, and I think more about anticipating failure than anticipating success. And finally, I realize that take #30 was better than any take from #31 on.

In short, my attitude is to work hard but not obsessively, be realistic and reasonable about my abilities, and to view perfection as something I'll leave for those with far greater gifts than my own.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 03-15-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
When i've recorded in studios, I was aware of "the clock"-- time spent equals money spent. Recording at home affords me endless time which has lead me to this syndrome of, "I could do this even better."

What is a good strategy to deal with this? Thanks.
You have identified a big home recording conundrum..............
The beauty of digital home recording is you can easily change or redo
The Curse of digital home recording is you can endlessly change or redo.

For me the only strategy to finally get out of an endless cycle of re-tweaking. To finally simply call it done and move on to the next project.

Was to finally come to the realization, that recording is a learning process and a journey and is not about arriving at a destination.

And to understand and realize a concept that is illuminated to some degree in the Movie "The Last Samurai"
Where the Samurai leader character Katsumoto. Is talking about finding the "perfect" cherry blossom and says something like " you could spend a lifetime looking and never find the perfect blossom".
Then at the end of film he realizes and says "They are all perfect"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-15-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Much wisdom here. Thanks catdaddy and Key Wind. I do believe I will strive to feel the feel and feel what feels best, rather than trying to make decisions with my nit-picking over active brain. It's good to know that I am not alone in this "home recodrding conundrum."
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 03-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Perhaps I can help. I am a recording engineer and play sessions as a guitarist. My second home is the recording studio. A perc of my work is un-metered time in the studio. I also work with clients who have virtually unlimited time in the studio. Here's what I've discovered:

There is a known phenomenon in the studio called "the performance curve." When you execute a series of recording takes it begins with energy and spontaneity and proceeds though increasing proficiency and decreasing energy and spontaneity until the series ends with cold, dead precision. It is not unknown to wake up on the back side of the performance curve with plenty of ability to improve precision but no ability left to summon excitement. Somewhere along the curve is your best performance. Your job is to learn to discern your best balance of precision and excitement.

My composition professor had a saying: "A composition is never done, the composer simply stops." It is the same in the recording studio. You just have to set a goal and know when to say, "Done."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-15-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Bob. I appreciate identifying "the performance curve."

And it's not just about the performance takes that day, it's also resisting the urge to go back a week or a month later to that project to "make it even better."
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." ––Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-15-2020, 09:03 AM

Some nice wisdom here!
A few items which work for me.
I have my set-up already waiting for me in our dining room. This goes up for a week or three at various times through the year.....mics, Zoom, pre amp, sound absorb panels in a little "booth"........all quite portable which takes about 40 minutes to completely set up.
So, it's there when I need it and doesn't require wasting energy that could be given to playing/recording.
I wait for that "excitement" feeling Bob referred to. Kind of like an "itch", that I gotta get this down....."tonight's the night" kind of thing. I never force this....I let that feeling take over. Meanwhile practice, practice..........the fact that the equipment is all set up is a great encouragement.

I give myself "permission" to warm up extensively, but record these takes knowing that they may not be my best.

I plan no more than about 90 minutes or however many takes might occur in that time frame. At that point I know I'm out of excitement. LOL!
I often try to be ready to record two songs....if one isn't working out, I'll give myself a break and try the other. In doing this, I've found that the first tune comes back into place easily....but, or course not always.

If it's "just not my night", I'll case the guitar and try again very soon after that first session. I try not to wait and lose what I gained on the first go-round.
The best takes seem to be at the half or two thirds duration of my recording time, or ones at the very end.......I'm on "auto pilot" but still with that excitement......and able to bring what I want with feeling, phrasing and dynamics.
It's certainly a learning curve which continues, that's for sure!
Hope this helps.......Best, Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-15-2020, 09:37 AM

I've heard it said that many artists have issues with depression. Reason being artists strive for perfection yet never achieve it.

I've shared a few recordings with family and friends. They RARELY come back with anything encouraging or a big 'sounds great.' All original stuff. I think they compare it to what they hear on the radio. Or whatever music they listen to. Sorry but, I'm not Eric Clapton folks.

When it comes to playing guitar I am easily amused. Seems few others are. And I believe a portion of that is jealousy. I think millions and millions of people WANT to play an instrument but only millions take on the burden of learning.

Playing guitar certainly does have a psychological impact in many different ways. And recording is hard. Simply put, I've deleted many more recordings than I've kept.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:40 AM

Around the house I play standards, never originals. My wife said, "I want a CD of those I can play in the car. And I don't mean the way you usually do it. I mean right there on the couch, just your singing and guitar, and don't fuss over it."

So I did that. Forced myself to adhere. Two or three takes of each, a little editing, a little mixing. There are some spots that make me cringe a little, but in the main it's good. She was right.

Couch Standards
Old 03-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I guess my approach is different. I have been playing for over 50 years, but only home recording for the last couple years. I first started it at the request of my wife who wanted my music that she could put on her phone to be able to listen any time she wanted.

The first recordings were crap. The built-in mic on an iPhone isn't really how you sound live (is it??). I bought a Zoom H4n Pro, and the recorded sound improved dramatically. But, that H4n Pro was "fussy" - it took a lot of button presses, click wheel turns, and menu diving to set up a track.

The Spire Studio came along and made it all easy for me. With less "fussin'," it is more fun to just concentrate on the music. I was quite happy to make a track "one and done." If it took more than 3 takes, it was starting to become work.

With my limited equipment (and talent), I am happy to have an archive of what I've been doing. I reconnected with a friend (since high school) and we have been working together from afar on Spire projects. He is a bit of a perfectionist and will do as many takes as it takes. I still try for one (or three) and done. Our recordings at definitely better than when we started... but I still go by a phrase from my band days: close enough for rock 'n roll.

We have been having fun playing the instruments for other tracks: bass, drums, synth (horns, strings, sax, flute), hand percussion, harmony vocals. Since we are in the same area for a couple months (my wife and I enjoy a "wandering lifestyle), it has been fun to play together in the same room. Some days we just make music, other days we record. As long as it's fun.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

My guitar playing is a hobby, and so is my home recording efforts. So I’m fortunate in that there is no level I have to meet or compete at. I try to keep things where I enjoy what im doing. It’s sometimes difficult because I am a technical person and I tend to over analyze things. If I post a recording I’ll often add disclaimers about my limitations, instead of putting in excess effort.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Some nice wisdom here!
A few items which work for me.
I have my set-up already waiting for me in our dining room. This goes up for a week or three at various times through the year.....mics, Zoom, pre amp, sound absorb panels in a little "booth"........all quite portable which takes about 40 minutes to completely set up.
So, it's there when I need it and doesn't require wasting energy that could be given to playing/recording.
I wait for that "excitement" feeling Bob referred to. Kind of like an "itch", that I gotta get this down....."tonight's the night" kind of thing. I never force this....I let that feeling take over. Meanwhile practice, practice..........the fact that the equipment is all set up is a great encouragement.

I give myself "permission" to warm up extensively, but record these takes knowing that they may not be my best.

I plan no more than about 90 minutes or however many takes might occur in that time frame. At that point I know I'm out of excitement. LOL!
I often try to be ready to record two songs....if one isn't working out, I'll give myself a break and try the other. In doing this, I've found that the first tune comes back into place easily....but, or course not always.

If it's "just not my night", I'll case the guitar and try again very soon after that first session. I try not to wait and lose what I gained on the first go-round.
The best takes seem to be at the half or two thirds duration of my recording time, or ones at the very end.......I'm on "auto pilot" but still with that excitement......and able to bring what I want with feeling, phrasing and dynamics.
It's certainly a learning curve which continues, that's for sure!
Hope this helps.......Best, Fred
Fred... Great parameters. I burn out right around the 1 hour mark. Pack it up and tear it down. And I totally agree that the good stuff comes around the halfway mark. We are 'up to speed' and running on all 6 cylinders at that point.

I no longer get discouraged at the 10 or 15 minute mark. Keep pushing and it just gets better. Until that one hour mark. At the one hour mark I'm taking inventory on what I've achieved.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Fred... Great parameters. I burn out right around the 1 hour mark. Pack it up and tear it down. And I totally agree that the good stuff comes around the halfway mark. We are 'up to speed' and running on all 6 cylinders at that point.

I no longer get discouraged at the 10 or 15 minute mark. Keep pushing and it just gets better. Until that one hour mark. At the one hour mark I'm taking inventory on what I've achieved.
Thank you, 3 notes!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
My composition professor had a saying: "A composition is never done, the composer simply stops."
Your professor obviously never played with one of my former bandmates.

We'd be playing a song we'd done for years, and then during a performance, he'd start singing different lyrics. WTF, dude?! "Well, I just decided I didn't like those words any more and came up with some different ones."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD