The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Good stuff. Joe is not only iconic but he is one of the last of a dying breed in music. Honest, straightforward and unapologetic.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Guest4562

He plays gigs, maybe even supports himself with what he makes doing it. But he is not a professional. Professionals act professional. They also have redundancy in their equipment to ensure they can meet their commitments. One guitar? This was no pro.

A 'pro' usually has a backup instrument. Because we all know strings can break and stuff can happen.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:23 PM

Actually, you were insulted by a poorly paid professional musician. If he ever makes any real money at it, he will sink a staggering amount of money into guitars like most of his predecessors.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Someone on this thread, another professional musician, said that he dislikes when someone comes up to him during a break to talk about gear. He went as far as to say... "Don't be that guy." My goodness. That, along with the musician that treated you so rudely, is simply uncalled for.

My attitude is that from the second my foot touches the inside of that venue, until I get back into my car, I am there for my audience. As long as they're sincere and friendly, it's my obligation as a professional musician and entertainer to return the courtesy, no matter how tired or out of sorts I may be. They've paid money to see me, driven out in the night, and simply want to have a few words. If it weren't for the audience, I would be stacking shelves at Walmart. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but that is simply not what I'm here for. Besides, it's folks like that, that lift my spirits up when the road gets a bit tiring.

There's simply no excuse for being rude to anyone, let alone someone who is genuinely friendly. And it's even worse when a professional musician treats their audience with anything other than courteousness, respect, and kindness.

Owning one or fifty guitars does not make the player. Come to think of it, neither does the playing. It's what's inside the player that counts, and everything else will reflect just that.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
That and I'm using an expensive guitar. It's a $1,500 guitar instead of the $300 guitars I used to use.
Yeah... a real "PRO-fessional"!

Got him one of those 'spensive geetars...

Right...

His behavior was that of a grade A butt-head.

You should have told him, "Yeah, I got a $1500 guitar, too. That's the one I take camping, when I save my expensive ones for gigs."

Toby is absolutely right. When you're performing, the audience doesn't care that your dog just died and your mom is a drunk... You are there to make their day better!

This guy wasn't.

Last edited by kydave; 02-20-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
That seems kind of odd. I've done plenty of paid gigs and have never seen gear questions as being harassing. We're all grown folks and can be brief, walk off stage or behind an amp if needed. I don't see any reason that fans should choose to must themselves. After all, the musician is at work and should conduct himself that way. Being brief is fine. It's not like you're knocking on his door at home.
I'm not saying that it's harassing, didn't use that word. I'm use to it, most nights I happy to engage, it starts off w/ a question about my stuff and it can be pleasant, we have a tip jar, kinda counter productive to cop an attitude w/ folks.

I'm talking about the personality type that goes on and on, on my job it's about gear or who they know or what they can do for you or can they sit in on harmonica.

It's always nice when folks like what they hear and tell you, we get a lot of that, it's just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Someone on this thread, another professional musician, said that he dislikes when someone comes up to him during a break to talk about gear. He went as far as to say... "Don't be that guy." My goodness. That, along with the musician that treated you so rudely, is simply uncalled for.
Please see above. Being nice is part of the job.

Last edited by stephenT; 02-21-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM

It was just jealousy.

I'd give it no thought.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

I don't know there are any rules about what is ok and not ok to talk about. This sounds like Jr. High to me. People are people. People should try to be nice and pleasant, and not insulting jerks. I don't care what the background or circumstances are. Be nice. It makes the world better for everyone involved.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Can't tell you about all the rude and sideways remarks (and looks) that I have gotten from local guitarists coming on and off the stage. Years ago some really affected me. Not anymore. These competitive comments are no fun to hear but I have learned to disregard. Luckily you don't have to live with the guy or be in a band with etc...

That's one of the problems of being a guitar player. We are everywhere and are more dispensable than front people or back line. In some open mic blues jams I have periodically seen some really lame behavior.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post

My attitude is that from the second my foot touches the inside of that venue, until I get back into my car, I am there for my audience. As long as they're sincere and friendly, it's my obligation as a professional musician and entertainer to return the courtesy, no matter how tired or out of sorts I may be. They've paid money to see me, driven out in the night, and simply want to have a few words. If it weren't for the audience, I would be stacking shelves at Walmart. Not that there's anything wrong with that of course, but that is simply not what I'm here for. Besides, it's folks like that, that lift my spirits up when the road gets a bit tiring.

There's simply no excuse for being rude to anyone, let alone someone who is genuinely friendly. And it's even worse when a professional musician treats their audience with anything other than courteousness, respect, and kindness.

Owning one or fifty guitars does not make the player. Come to think of it, neither does the playing. It's what's inside the player that counts, and everything else will reflect just that.
I'll third that. Anyone from the audience who's friendly enough to talk to or, even better, compliment me at a gig deserves no less from me.
Some muso friends work the room in breaks. I'm not a natural at that so if people come to me I appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Oh really? Why don't you print this photo and bring it back to him. I think Jackson Browne would be considered a "professional musician."

Old 02-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Yeah... a real "PRO-fessional"!

Got him one of those 'spensive geetars...

Right...

His behavior was that of a grade A butt-head.

You should have told him, "Yeah, I got a $1500 guitar, too. That's the one I take camping, when I save my expensive ones for gigs."

Toby is absolutely right. When you're performing, the audience doesn't care that your dog just died and your mom is a drunk... You are there to make their day better!

This guy wasn't.

I think the point that you and Tony make is important. It's about entertaining and performing. Music is one part of the equation. You're there to entertain, and they're they to give you their time and be entertained. Sometimes that means a little small talk. Even thought I am not entertaining at the level of many of you, when someone in an audience wants to talk to me before, or after I play, I pay attention like they are the most important person in the world at that moment. Why? Because they are, at that moment. Having an audience is a gift. "Pros" especially shouldn't take it for granted and act like jerks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 06:23 PM

I met two professional musicians one evening at a small venue. Chris Smither was the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet and he even joked about his "technique" when we spoke. Rory Block was on the other end of the space-time continuum. Rude to Chris when they played together, rude to the people at the venue and rude (to paying guests) at the intermission.

Clearly some people haven't read the be nice rule...

Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

I've seen guys like this. The story that I take from these guys is that they don't have any money. They are traveling around with guys they are tired of. They can't keep a wife or girl friend. They are worn out, tired and in a dead end situation. They have guys that want to talk shop and they have a house, a home, a wife or SO. A car and money enough to buy a bunch of good guitars. It's tough to be a full time musician. But that's no excuse.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion