The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-20-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Default Holden Evening Prayer Anyone?

My wife and I are suffering withdrawel pains from not being able to participate in our weekly Lenten services that feature The Holden Evening Prayer. Anyone know of a guitar friendly tab or sheet music for this wonderful Work?
Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I had that until end of year cleaning and literally tossed everything. Used to do that on Saturday evening services sometimes. I got the music from GIA Publications. Don't know if the current version is the same as what I had. It's nice if you have a good violinist (our son is one), or something similar to do a single not melody in some parts. I'm assuming you both sing because it's going to be boring with a single voice, as well.

Anyway, here's the link:

https://www.giamusic.com/store/resou...on-print-g9170

EDIT: Wait!! I just found it. (Bell rang in my head that I didn't remember actually carting it off.) The stack of stuff I was going to drop off at the church is here. Yours for postage, but it might be just as cheap to download. I have the guitar part and treble instrument in C, plus some scans with overwritten chords as I did not find it singable as charted.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi Kieth,
Thanks for looking into this for me. I actually have GIA copy of the guitar edition. I can't play the E flat Major key as it is written. Perhaps the chords you have added would help? If so send me your PayPal address and a shipping cost. Thanks much.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offkey View Post
Hi Kieth,
Thanks for looking into this for me. I actually have GIA copy of the guitar edition. I can't play the E flat Major key as it is written. Perhaps the chords you have added would help? If so send me your PayPal address and a shipping cost. Thanks much.
PM sent with info.

You could just make some copies, and transpose to a better key, or one that's more amenable to capo use, and between the two, get it where it's comfortable. For instance, the original is in the key of Eb, with notation to play in D, capo 1. I transposed it to G, and played it with the capo on the 3rd fret, i.e., in Bb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write