The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2020, 05:24 AM

Default Master Class experience

A local studio was holding a classical guitar master class. I signed up for it intending to observe, but discovered upon arrival that I had signed up as a participant.

The masters were 2 young and rising professionals named Jiyeon Kim ( AKA Jiji on her YouTube channel) & Gilli Bjornsson. They've performed all over the world and are also part of a duo called LINU.

FWIW - A master class consists of individuals playing a piece and then the masters critique just about every aspect of the performance and then give guidance and suggestions on improvements.

There were 3 participants in the class that lasted 2 hours and I was the last one.

The 2 other participants played some Brower Etudes for them. It was great see them perform and hear the inputs.

When it was my turn, I played a version of Adelita for them. I play a semi jazzy version that I got from a YouTube video a few years ago.

It was exhausting, nerve wracking, humbling & exhilarating all rolled up into one big emotion over a 30 minute time span.

They tag teamed me during the class & were great fun with some of their observations. For instance; I had no clue that I played the piece with my mouth wide open. Jiyeon had some fun suggestions on that. She claims that there's a video of her out there drooling during a performance in her younger days. HA HA.

She also gave me some input on my posture and foot placement. "Stop moving your right leg to the beat while performing, your guitar is bouncing. Try just tapping your foot"

Gilli gave me some great suggestions to work on regarding my right hand fingerings; such as more use of A & less reliance on M. He also suggested better positioning of my left thumb to achieve clearer notes during stretches.

It was fun!!

After it was done I hopped in the car and went to my usual Tuesday night guitar gathering where we play 60-80's acoustic music.

Life is good!!
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 03-11-2020 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 03-11-2020, 10:07 AM

I've been to a handful of master classes and looking back - I wished I had volunteered to play.

I have no experience in this, but it's my opinion that if you can perform decently under these conditions, you'll have no issues performing anywhere.

Congrats, my man.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:27 PM

Bravo. Good job. IT does sound like a great experience. I couldn't pull that off. I like to record my self for the sole purpose of putting myself under pressure and I screw up every time
Old 03-11-2020, 02:07 PM

Here's the version that I learned from a YouTube video. Rob plays on his achtop guitar. It works just as nice on my Cordoba C-12.

I was too cheap to buy the book, so I spent hours transcribing it.

https://youtu.be/6pxUaqogLfs

Dave
Old 03-11-2020, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Good on you Dave! Sounds like you got a lot of great feedback from participating in that Master Class.
I never participated in a Master Class, but I did attend (audit) 2 really memorable ones. The first one was Leo Brouwer (a very captivating individual, with many unique insights into playing, he himself a great player and composer) and the other Manuel Barrueco. He was very special too, and the tone he generated from his guitar was just amazing. It was an initimate setting too, with only a handful of people there, and only 2 performers. As it turns out, I got to sit close to Barrueco as he was explaining things. To be honest, I'm not sure why they even let me in there. All the attendees except me were hard core students in a Conservatory program. Fortunately, no one asked me to play anything.
Congrats for being courageous and going through with participating!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great experience. Good on ya for participating.
My playing falls apart under the slightest of self imposed pressure( my phone videoing me) so I can only imagine how difficult that process could be.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:49 PM

My son attended a mini masterclass with David Liesner. One little lesson and it completely changed how he played, much more relaxed, with much improved tone and volume control.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Here's the version that I learned from a YouTube video. Rob plays on his achtop guitar. It works just as nice on my Cordoba C-12.

I was too cheap to buy the book, so I spent hours transcribing it.

https://youtu.be/6pxUaqogLfs

Dave
That's very cool on the archtop like that. Looks like he's playing with a flat pick too.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:08 PM

I agree. Rob's take on that song is what intrigued me about it. More so, because I'm not a strict classical player. It has some jazz twists to it.

He's got a website devoted to playing classical guitar without nails and highlights all the famous players who didn't use nails.

"The aim of this site is to encourage those who wish to play classical guitar without using finger nails. It is also the home of my own classical guitar studies.

Using the flesh of the fingers to generate sound on the guitar has a long and distinguished history. Whether you play without nails through aesthetic choice, or through medical necessity, hopefully there will be something on this site to help and encourage you. Please use the Comment areas if you have something to say, pro or contra."

https://rmclassicalguitar.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's very cool on the archtop like that. Looks like he's playing with a flat pick too.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:11 PM

You were very brave Dave. Good job!
Old 03-13-2020, 08:48 PM

My guitar teacher invited me to a master class hosted at cal state Fullerton on Wednesday. The guitarist was Dale Kavanaugh. Pretty awesome getting to see all kids showcase the piece their working on and having her input for making it better. Really motivating, I got back home and worked on something’s I learned from there immediately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical