The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Here are the two Avalons which have passed through my hands: on the right, an L32C, which is still my fingerstyle guitar of choice and lives in C or D tunings, and on the left, a D300A, sadly no longer with me as when I wanted to buy a maple 12, it had to be the one to go as I generally play smaller guitars these days.

that is a lovely pic! you know, I was admiring your L32C picture for quite some time before I decided on my custom order with Avalon! love the colour on the spruce there!
Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 AM

Must try to take a new picture of it as that was several years ago and it's changed colour since then. I still have the shots of it on the Avalon website too - must do a montage.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Must try to take a new picture of it as that was several years ago and it's changed colour since then. I still have the shots of it on the Avalon website too - must do a montage.

Oh please do! would love to see it both new and now!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Count me in with an S1-20. I'm thrilled with this guitar.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
Count me in with an S1-20. I'm thrilled with this guitar.
welcome!! welcome!
Old 10-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Default A timely thread!

Thanks for initiating this thread, Silverspear! Avalon love is true love, shared by a small but growing contingent of players who know quality when they see, feel, and hear it. Count us in as well!

Check out our inventory of fine Avalon guitars, the largest of any shop on the planet! We can also offer your best possible deal on a custom order Avalon - we are in regular contact with the shop in Newtownards, Northern Ireland.
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487
Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@TheFrettedBuffalo View Post
Thanks for initiating this thread, Silverspear! Avalon love is true love, shared by a small but growing contingent of players who know quality when they see, feel, and hear it. Count us in as well!

Check out our inventory of fine Avalon guitars, the largest of any shop on the planet! We can also offer your best possible deal on a custom order Avalon - we are in regular contact with the shop in Newtownards, Northern Ireland.
Oh, Bill.. I think you are the biggest Avalon collector among us! You have so many, that you could start a shop! (oh wait... you are doing that!)

For that, welcome!! please do share with us occasionally pictures and any Avalon news that might be of interest to fans here!
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
Oh, Bill.. I think you are the biggest Avalon collector among us! You have so many, that you could start a shop! (oh wait... you are doing that!)

For that, welcome!! please do share with us occasionally pictures and any Avalon news that might be of interest to fans here!
Alright, I will!
AVALON * MCILROY * FURCH/STONEBRIDGE * HUSS & DALTON * BOURGEOIS

466 Amherst Street Buffalo New York 14207
[email protected]
www.thefrettedbuffalo.com
716-913-6487
Old 10-10-2018, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I had an interesting one (sold in 2010). It was a custom order from some store (Mandolin Brothers? I forget) that wanted a "clone" of Pierre Bensusan's Old Lady. So cedar and mahogany with a cutaway, same dimensions as a Lowden O. Avalon had the same body shape, so I was never sure what made it an Old Lady clone, but it was a nice guitar.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I had an interesting one (sold in 2010). It was a custom order from some store (Mandolin Brothers? I forget) that wanted a "clone" of Pierre Bensusan's Old Lady. So cedar and mahogany with a cutaway, same dimensions as a Lowden O. Avalon had the same body shape, so I was never sure what made it an Old Lady clone, but it was a nice guitar.

That's lovely, Doug!!
Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 AM

I have a technical question for you guys.. this is my avalon saddle break angle from the factory... is this similar to what you guys see on your Avalons?

I want to bring focus especially to the B and G strings.. there's hardly much break angle..

Old 10-12-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a technical question for you guys.. this is my avalon saddle break angle from the factory... is this similar to what you guys see on your Avalons?

I want to bring focus especially to the B and G strings.. there's hardly much break angle..

What’s the action at 12th fret on both E strings?
Did you mess with your truss rod at all?

Mine came with bit too much relief on neck so I had to adjust the truss rod a little. Also initially action was 6/64 and 4/64 which is standard but I typically like lower action so I removed the shim under the saddle and now it’s 5/64 and 3/64.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
What’s the action at 12th fret on both E strings?
Did you mess with your truss rod at all?

Mine came with bit too much relief on neck so I had to adjust the truss rod a little. Also initially action was 6/64 and 4/64 which is standard but I typically like lower action so I removed the shim under the saddle and now it’s 5/64 and 3/64.

Thanks
skyhigh, so is your break angle like mine?

I requested for a specific action from factory, because I know what I wanted - 5/64 and 7/64.

the relief was almost perfect for me, from the factory. the action from factory was also exactly as I requested. so only question I have is why is the break angle so low?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
skyhigh, so is your break angle like mine?

I requested for a specific action from factory, because I know what I wanted - 5/64 and 7/64.

the relief was almost perfect for me, from the factory. the action from factory was also exactly as I requested. so only question I have is why is the break angle so low?
It’s kind of hard to say if mine is like yours since pictures can give certain illusion...ie distance, angle, etc. Do you have a string action gauge where you can measure your saddle above the bridge? I can then give your better ref. to mine.

Regardless if you are happy with current action and have no plans to lower it, then I think I see plenty of string break angle over your saddle.

With all that said yes mine “kind” of does look like yours. However my action is lot lower than yours too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion