The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-30-2010, 04:46 PM

Default Need some opinions on Savarez 500ARJ and 540ARJ

Just wondering how many are running these strings on their lower end guitars? What do you like about them, how is the guitar responding to them etc? I have Yamaha C40 I purchased earlier this year, had some regular tension D'Addario strings on it, sounded meh at best, just got two sets of Savarez strings, one is 500ARJ Corrum Alliance and other set is 540ARJ Alliance. Both are mixed tension sets.
Now granted my C40 isn't all that great of an instrument, but I feel that if it can withstand school kids beating crap out of them, it should be able to handle these strings without major issues with neck and what not.
Also did anyone change tuners on their C40, if so with what. Been doing some research on that and I have no desire to spend more on the tuners than I did on this guitar.
Any and all information that you can share is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:56 PM

I have been using both these sets of Savarez on my classical for a lot of years. It's not a low end classical, but I'm not sure why that matters. Is it because they are high tension that you are worried? I can't imagine that being a problem on your guitar. I'm not familiar with your model, but I would guess it would be a heavier built guitar than most high end classicals, so would certainly be able to handle the increase in tension.

My classical is quite lightly built with a spruce top. The tension increase stands up well to my aggressive attack and really makes the sound bold and loud.

I think it's not a worry. Just my opinion, though. If the bridge pulls off, don't ask me to replace the guitar, agreed? Just kidding.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 AM

Thanks for your reply. I got 540's mounted on Yamaha. Sounds pretty nice with them on, I can tell I have gained a bit on the treble strings. Now its a matter of strings stretching and me playing it a lot. I can tell it takes more effort to press the strings down and its not as forgiving if I am not fretting right by the fret itself it will buzz a bit.. Mostly I was interested to hear personal experiences with these strings on lower end instruments all laminates like mine is. I am firm believer that good set of strings can do wonders for a crummy guitar.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Red face

Hi swsman,

I have tried Savarez 540R's on my Takamine and they sound and feel great, but at the moment I prefer D'Addario EJ45C composites. They are about the same price as the Savarez's and the G string sounds a lot clearer. They also seem to last longer. Just my two cents worth.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM

I love 540ARJs on my Yamaha C40! They bring the all-laminate to life!

On top of that, I've been able to lower the action below flamenco standard and I still don't get a buzz thanks to the combination of hard tension basses and the stiff laminate top. This makes for excellent playability.

There are times when I think I could be quite satisfied even if the C40 were my only classical and flamenco guitar. I have more expensive classicals and flamencos that cost up to over $1k at street but the C40 is still a pleasure to play.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 PM

Once again thanks for your replies. I feel that Yamaha C40 is a good deal for someone testing the waters like myself. Couldn't find used/new one locally so had to go with the mercy of the Amazon.com. Guitar I got is good and it plays well, will need to work on lowering action in lieu of bone nut and bone saddle to get more tone out of it. Like the sound of these strings and will check into D'Addario carbons later on, still have a set of Savarez 500ARJ to try out. Another set of strings that has come to my attention are Galli GR65's albeit these are normal tension - got great reviews all over the internet. I think with this guitar I will try to make new bone saddle myself, as for the nut will farm it out as I do not have nut files needed.
What do you guys like to have for string heights at 12 fret, also do you measure with capo on 1st fret or open string? Say for classical guitar playing. I know flamenco guitars are set up lower for sake of faster playability.
Adam
Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 AM

This is how low I got mine. I don't measure with a capo on the 1st fret.

Model: Yamaha C40

Action at 12th fret for 6th and 1st: 0.110" & 0.070"
Strings: Savarez 540ARJ

My bone saddle is just slightly radiused so the 4th string is higher than the 5th. The 6th is lower than the 5th (but you can't tell without a digital caliper). This is in keeping with my observations of which strings tend to oscillate more wildly (thereby causing buzzes). The 5th and 4th ones seem to move more.

Note that I got my action this low by extended trial-and error. I carved two saddles prior to my final one and noted how the strings behaved over the seasons.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical