The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-26-2020, 03:55 AM

Default "Better Boat" cover with new Mcpherson Sable

Here's a quick cover i shot yesterday with my new Mcpherson Sable.

Hope the song encourages someone!

https://youtu.be/6ms_odkz8Og

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-26-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added embedded video link for you
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 AM

That was fantastic! The Sable has really nice tone and you have a great voice. Good job.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Fantastic is right! You play very well and the Sable sounds great, your voice is as pro as it gets and your recording sound is awesome! There are a bunch of folks who tend to hang out in the carbon fiber subforum who would love to hear your Sable, so I’m going to post about it there to encourage them to enjoy your video.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-26-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

That was great ! Thanks for posting that. Of all the Sable videos and sound clips I've heard, what strikes me the most is how balanced the guitar is. It seems to be a very good guitar. No need to add "CF" in that statement.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Fantastic is right! You play very well and the Sable sounds great, your voice is as pro as it gets and your recording sound is awesome! There are a bunch of folks who tend to hang out in the carbon fiber subforum who would love to hear your Sable, so I’m gonna got post about it there to encourage them to enjoy your video.
Great call, Tom! And GrantTucker, that was spectacular in every way. Just sterling. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:06 PM

Thank you so much guys!
I accidentally had the camera setting wrong so the visual is really poor, but the Vanguard V44s stereo mic really picked the performance up well. I think the Sable is perfect sounding...just have to mic it properly.

I couldn’t be happier with the guitar.

And I love the message of the song which is why I recorded it. Travis Meadows is a beast of a writer.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:58 PM

Sounds great! What a voice!

I notice that like mine, it's very easy for the voice to overpower the Sable. Last recording I did I had to change to a wood guitar for better balance. I do wish the Sable was a bit louder.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

We all hear things different. Grant has a great voice and delivers that song well. Why have it compete with a loud guitar ? His recording of the Sable is perfect to my ears. The instrument sounds very clear and balanced and supports the song - best recording of a Sable with a vocal that I have heard so far.

Most recording of CF guitars have a muffled or hollow tone to me. Not this one.
Great job singing, playing, and recording. Glad you used a mic and not the pickup.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:01 AM

I just threw the mic up and never auditioned it’s placement or what it was capturing. I’m sure I can find a better spot if I spend the time. I also engaged a high pass on the camera that cut off anything below 120. The thought was to remove any low end household noises( appliances...) and also outside street noises. If I didn’t have that on then the Sable would sound even deeper and better. I was just guessing and didn’t spend much time on the gear. Next time maybe

I can’t stand guitar pickups on acoustics. I have a DPA 4099 that I’ll use for intimate recording and live work. I created a magnetic connector with the mic mount attached to it. Both magnets are strong rare earth magnets and covered in rubber to not damage anything. I place one inside the guitar and that holds the outer magnet with the mount against the guitar side. This way it doesn’t touch the resonating top(like the DPA clip does) & can be positioned or removed very easily. I didn’t use it in this video, but I’ll try to post something with this setup when I get a chance.

Thank you again for all the encouragement. This is just a hobby for me at this point and family life definitely detracts the time needed to be on a professional level. But it’s fun and therapeutic!
I do mix for others on the side so if anyone needs songs mixed...hit me up
Old 05-27-2020, 03:20 PM

Cool...gotta love those Sables by McPherson.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-27-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey Grant,

I thoroughly enjoyed that. It was well done in every way.

Thanks,

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 06-21-2020, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

If I was Jason Isbell, I’d be worried!

Nice job and great looking/sounding guitar.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-21-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granttucker View Post
Thank you so much guys!
I accidentally had the camera setting wrong so the visual is really poor, but the Vanguard V44s stereo mic really picked the performance up well. I think the Sable is perfect sounding...just have to mic it properly.

I couldn’t be happier with the guitar.

And I love the message of the song which is why I recorded it. Travis Meadows is a beast of a writer.
Really nice performance of a great tune by a great Mississippi songwriter. This is one of the most requested tunes I play and I try to keep it closer to Travis' version than Kenny Chesney's, which to me loses some of the pain.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 06-22-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDEMO1 View Post
We all hear things different. Grant has a great voice and delivers that song well. Why have it compete with a loud guitar ? His recording of the Sable is perfect to my ears. The instrument sounds very clear and balanced and supports the song - best recording of a Sable with a vocal that I have heard so far.

Most recording of CF guitars have a muffled or hollow tone to me. Not this one.
Great job singing, playing, and recording. Glad you used a mic and not the pickup.
My thoughts on balance are just different than yours.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Fantastic Grant, really liked the whole thing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell