The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2020, 06:28 PM

So for me:

The L series always sounds nice but feels overbuilt for me. Also, I can't jive with the neck profile.

The A-series is absolutely incredible. (Especially the concert bodies). I've played several A3R, A3M, A1R/M and they are all very, very nice guitars, and you'd be hard-pressed to find one that is nicer.

The new Red Series are also quite incredible. I would personally go for an AC5R, just because I like Rosewood more, but you can't go wrong.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
So for me:

The L series always sounds nice but feels overbuilt for me. Also, I can't jive with the neck profile.

The A-series is absolutely incredible. (Especially the concert bodies). I've played several A3R, A3M, A1R/M and they are all very, very nice guitars, and you'd be hard-pressed to find one that is nicer.

The new Red Series are also quite incredible. I would personally go for an AC5R, just because I like Rosewood more, but you can't go wrong.
I feel the need to correct statements that all L series are overbuilt.

The distinction between L series 26/36/56 and 16 and below must be made. 26 and above is MUCH more lightly built than 16 and below. Nowhere near the same guitar.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 04-12-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

The distinction between L series 26/36/56 and 16 and below must be made. 26 and above is MUCH more lightly built than 16 and below. Nowhere near the same guitar.
Yeah my 16 isn’t light, but besides the weight itself I don’t find a detriment because of that. Sounds fantastic and plays great, and is loud.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 PM

In and of itself, a heavy guitar isn't necessarily bad. It really would depend on where the weight came from. The Yamaha FS5 isn't exactly light, but not overly heavy either. I do find the box itself is built to be fairly rigid with side braces and fairly stiff bracing on the back. However, I don't find the top to be overly rigid. So, the rigid sides and back should acoustically help the guitar to project a little better, as the top will vibrate more due to less mechanical loss from the sides and back.

That all being said, I love the tone of my FS5. It has a great classic sound with a slight mix of modern in the ring and overtones. I did a thread on it somewhere in the forum. I don't have the link right now. The only issue I still have with my FS5 is that it came with a blemish. However, that does not detract in any way from the great sound.

I would not hesitate to recommend the FS5 for the sound. I imagine the FSX5 would be very similar.

Martin
Gibson J-45 Standard 2020

Last edited by Martin_F; 04-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post

Here's a blind test of all of the LL series guitars.
I actually liked the LL16 best during the blind test.
Try it for yourself.

https://youtu.be/3nBpUwkvuXk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion