The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2021, 06:58 PM

Default Buzz Dianosis

If my guitar plays wonderfully in open position, cowboy frets 1-3, but starts to buzz a bit when capo'd around frets 4-7, does that suggest a truss rod tweak?
Old 03-26-2021, 07:11 PM

Potentially, or too low action. It's an easy enough thing to check the relief, http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/r.../truss-rod.php
Old 03-26-2021, 07:19 PM

True or False:

1) any guitar will improperly "buzz" if you whack the hell out of it with strongly strummed chords.

2) a guitar set up perfectly by your local tech in one calendar season, but goes outta whack 6 mos later, is not due to an improper setup. it is due to climate changes that can simply be tweaked w/ truss rod adjustment.

3) you knew the bride when she used to rock and roll.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 PM

It could be the saddle height as well. Might be too low. Got a pic?
Old 03-26-2021, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRU View Post
True or False:

1) any guitar will improperly "buzz" if you whack the hell out of it with strongly strummed chords.
True.

I suggest that one of the factors that goes into determining if a guitar is setup ideally for you is that it should just begin to buzz if you play it a little harder than the maximum you do during normal playing. If it doesn't it is higher/harder to play than it needs to be for your playing.

Quote:
2) a guitar set up perfectly by your local tech in one calendar season, but goes outta whack 6 mos later, is not due to an improper setup. it is due to climate changes that can simply be tweaked w/ truss rod adjustment.
I already addressed this at length when you previously asked essentially the same question.

Short answer: if one does not maintain a suitable constant humidity environment for one's guitar, it's playability can change with seasonal changes. Rarely is that due to a change in neck curvature that necessitates an adjustment to the truss rod. What some do is have one saddle for summer and one for winter to accommodate the seasonal humidity changes.

Once properly setup, most guitars do not require additional setup - other than the issue of summer/winter saddles for guitars not maintained at a more-or-less constant humidity - more often than every few years or less. If you change strings, change playing styles or other significant changes, a setup might be in order to accommodate those.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:32 PM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610525
Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 AM

Quote:
If my guitar plays wonderfully in open position, cowboy frets 1-3, but starts to buzz a bit when capo'd around frets 4-7, does that suggest a truss rod tweak?
maybe...could be truss rod adjustment. Could be a hump in fretboard. Could be a high fret or two somewhere after the 7th fret.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Do you get any buzz in that area when not using a capo?
Old 03-27-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Based on the buzzing when capoed 4-7...that could very well indicate too much relief in the neck...and a need to tighten the truss rod......if you sight the neck what does it look like....a barely detectable downward bow in the neck should not cause your issue..the more severe it is the more likely it may be the culprit....
Old 03-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Based on the buzzing when capoed 4-7...that could very well indicate too much relief in the neck...and a need to tighten the truss rod......if you sight the neck what does it look like....a barely detectable downward bow in the neck should not cause your issue..the more severe it is the more likely it may be the culprit....
Thanks. But I don't believe I have developed that experience of recognition. When I look down the neck everything appears fine. But it always looks fine. So I'm afraid I'm no good in that department.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

You can try the link in post #6. It shows ways of measuring relief. If you don't have feeler gauges, you can use a piece of low e string (1st string.) It's likely .012 or .011 or .010 inches.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. But I don't believe I have developed that experience of recognition. When I look down the neck everything appears fine. But it always looks fine. So I'm afraid I'm no good in that department.
..if it looks fine it probably is and the next suspect would be the frets...they might very well need leveling which is not a job for the uninitiated...maybe there is respected guitar tech in your area that could take a look...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion