The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-12-2020, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Am I too old to get this car?

I signed a deal at a local car dealer to buy a "pre owned" 2018 red/black Honda Civic SI coupe earlier today.

I haven't had a manual in maybe 25 years and when I took a test drive earlier today it was like riding a bike; a blast! In fact I like everything about it. Pretty practical yet fun to drive. A lot of fun. Not thrilled with the color scheme but something I think I could live with.

I sent pictures of the car to my kids, now 25 and 28 years old. I just about saw their heads turn 360 degrees on the other end of the phone (think Exorcist) when I sent them pictures; they're not local to me so they couldn't come to the dealer. I got an "you can always get it painted" and "it has a spoiler so you know it won't fly away" and "Color is ridiculous, it's gonna get stolen" within 30 seconds. At the end they said if you like it we like it but....

So it's not 100% about my kids point of view on the car (they hate my less obvious but still very blue Mini Cooper Paceman now) its more like is 65 too old for something like this? The picture attached is not the precise car (I don't have a pic) but it is the precise color mix on the right car.

I'm a big boy, I can take it. Bring it on.

Thanks......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red with Carbon hood 2017-01-26_10.42.24.jpg (53.0 KB, 335 views)

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 12-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

We shouldn't drive boring cars, or play boring CF guitars ! I love it, I say get it.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

To paraphrase the song "What's Love Got To Do With It" I say to you, "What's Age Got To Do With It." Go for it! Enjoy life! Have fun!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-12-2020, 10:19 PM

Kids are 100% right about it being a thieves' target - late-model Honda Civics (especially the performance models) are the #1 most-stolen car according to a number of insurance surveys - so unless you've got a CCW (FYI not too easy to come by here in NYS) you might want to consider something a bit less popular with Midnight Auto Supply...

That said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying high-performance machinery: multi-time NHRA Funny Car Champion John Force is 71, many other drivers in the nitro ranks are card-carrying AARP members, Top Fuel driver Chris Karamesines just retired at the age of 89 after a 65-year career, and I took my own first test passes in a dragster a couple years ago at age 65 - so don't worry, you're in good company...
Old 12-12-2020, 10:35 PM

As long as you're fit to drive, you're not too old. Have fun!

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-12-2020, 10:37 PM

Go for it!
1. As a 65 year old, It's your duty to embarrass your kids.
2. Driving a stick is a lost art, and I bet your kids don't know how.
3. You deserve it.

Zoom Zoom, Steve!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:37 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Am I too old to get this car?

Ummmm.....no.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 PM

A couple of years ago, I bought a 2017 Fusion Sport that has far more power than I'll ever need. I love driving it. I'm happy pretty much anytime I'm behind the wheel. Heck, I'm happy just looking at it. Anything that makes the mundane seem a joy is worth it. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Kids are 100% right about it being a thieves' target - late-model Honda Civics (especially the performance models) are the #1 most-stolen car according to a number of insurance surveys - so unless you've got a CCW (FYI not too easy to come by here in NYS) you might want to consider something a bit less popular with Midnight Auto Supply...

That said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying high-performance machinery: multi-time NHRA Funny Car Champion John Force is 71, many other drivers in the nitro ranks are card-carrying AARP members, Top Fuel driver Chris Karamesines just retired at the age of 89 after a 65-year career, and I took my own first test passes in a dragster a couple years ago at age 65 - so don't worry, you're in good company...
Yes, theft is a big concern. That would a reason to reconsider. I'm gonna guess the red with black hood might stand out. Which is a benefit to me in that I'd be able to find my car more quickly in parking lots!

Thanks for the replies!!!! Please keep 'em coming.

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 12-12-2020, 11:06 PM

Now showing .. 'The Fast & The Furious - Retirement Rebel'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-12-2020, 11:07 PM

Whatever makes you happy.

Just don't do the driving gloves and ascot thing, k?

scott
Old 12-13-2020, 12:17 AM

Go for it!
Old 12-13-2020, 12:26 AM

I love it, GREAT choice. I take it you have worked hard raised your family, what's wrong with having a fun car to enjoy.

I personally have a little play toy of my own and I absolutely love driving it

Old 12-13-2020, 02:02 AM

You are Definitely not too old for that car. Im thinking that 85 would be too old for that car. But 65? Nah.

The theft issue is not age-related, but might affect your choice. But I imagine that even the car that is the most popular car for thieves is still not very likely to be stolen. So unless you live in or frequently visit sketchy neighborhoods, or you cant put the car in a garage at night, i wouldnt let that affect my choice if i were you.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:51 AM
Musical minimalist

The SI in the pics isn't a coupe - I'm assuming that was just a typo.

I just sold a little red 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback, so no, you're not too old.

In fact, if I could have found a 2020 Coupe (which they have discontinued) I would have bought either the Sport or SI model instead of the new Accord.

One thing I will note though - the '16-'18 Civics had a bit of an issue with gas seeping into the oil as a result of the engine and components not heating up enough if you drive short distance in a cold climate - I certainly had some of this going on and was part of the reason I traded it to avoid another winter with it.
They run great as all Hondas do until the temp drops. I'd get 42 mpg overall during the summer, and it would plummet to low to mid 30's in the winter.

Honda disappointed me with the way they handled it - extending the warranty from 5 years and 60k, to 6 years and unlimited mileage.

Knowing what I know, I'm not sure I'd buy a used one from that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sportsecondtopangle.jpg (45.6 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg sportrearanglesenior.jpg (38.1 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by fitness1; 12-13-2020 at 06:17 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic