The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Default Best value resonator?

I've been thinking about getting a resonator lately...I just love the sound. Problem is, I don't have a whole lot of money to spend. What's the best value floating around?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM

I have a maple bodied Beard Goldtone as well as a steel bodied Republic Resolian parlor. I have been happy with both of them. While not your rock bottom price category, they are both what I would consider low end.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM

First of all what kind. Dobro spider type, Tricone, single cone (think down and dirty delta blues) round or square neck? And most importantly, what kind of money do you have to spend?

I have some recommendations on the tricone and single cone roundneck, but that's where my expertise ends so I went do a data dump if what you're looking for is a spider type with a square neck
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 PM

I have a Flinthill round neck.
It sounds great and is priced very friendly.
I also like Regal for the money.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:42 PM

If you're looking for rock bottom price check out the Rogues from Musicians Friend. Hard to beat the price and they are plenty good enough to have some fun with.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 PM

Depends on your budget. 'not a whole lot of money' could be different things to different people.
I played a Johnson bell-brass/nickel plated, and loved the feel/sound, but didn't have the just-under-sub-grand or so at the time, (they may be cheaper now). I eventually got a wood-bodied, single-cone Samick Artist Series, (used). But the Artist Series is the key here. If you are not in a hurry, set up a watch for one, or go searching. I was lucky; mine had been set up for the previous owner by a guy who owed him, just before I got it. You may need to have that done by someone competent to get the best out of it. I think I payed about a quarter of what the Johnson wouda been + freight. It really does sound pretty good. Samick were making quality stuff then, especially for their 'special' ranges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wife has had a K. Yairi OM-size since new, 1975

Last edited by frailer5; 05-28-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Republic is a good deal, I have the miniolian seen here, not much $$. Check out the reviews.

http://www.republicguitars.com/parlorsizeminiolian.html
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM

I had a korean made fender steel single cone resonator for a few years, it was great, and cheap.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 PM

i had a rogue for a while and i was surprised at how well it was built.now i just use my old stella for slide.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi CC,

I heard one of these http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...tar?sku=519191 played with a glass bottleneck slide and I thought it sounded just right. Real dry and old sounding and not too expensive, just like an old blues guitar ought to sound like.

I was really impressed.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments