The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Default Hi all, new here

I've recently picked up guitar about 3 weeks ago. The guitar I picked up was in an air conditioned storage for about 2 years and I picked it up figuring I'd give it a go. I've been using the strings that were on there (I have no idea what type but I'm assuming they were the ones that came with it) and I figured I'd restring it since well they just looked old. Now that I've restrung it the sound is producing a very nice tone. The guitar resonates nicely now and all in all it seems to be done correctly (They are Elixirs Polyweb 80/20).

My thing though is that when I mimic tutorials online for play alongs my strings sound like they resonate too deeply (if that makes sense). It's like a bellow and I'm wondering is it because the strings are new? Did I restring them improperly?

The guitar is tuned properly and I'm doing the right chords on the right frets just the sound is very very deep compared to what I'm hearing from other people.

#Edit: It's an acoustic Oscar Schmidt OG2
Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnatonetheII View Post
The guitar I picked up was in an air conditioned storage for about 2 years and I picked it up figuring I'd give it a go. I've been using the strings that were on there (I have no idea what type but I'm assuming they were the ones that came with it) and I figured I'd restring it since well they just looked old. Now that I've restrung it the sound is producing a very nice tone. The guitar resonates nicely now and all in all it seems to be done correctly (They are Elixirs Polyweb 80/20).
Welcome to the AGF...

I guess, this guitar resonates nicely because it's bone dry.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Welcome to the AGF...

I guess, this guitar resonates nicely because it's bone dry.
Thanks! I'm going to buy a humidor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write