The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Oh, please, don't be ridiculous.

At least in Matthew's case (I've not yet met Juston), we at guitar shows have worked this out. We keep him on a, well, wee leash. Hook the leash to a table leg at each luthier's table. When he starts to get antsy, the host, which is, uh, you, takes him outside for a bit.

Can't see why this method wouldn't work with Juston.

No need to thank me.
Sounds good, I do have some experience in house training so I feel I am up to the task...a crate can work well also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I will usually start to claw at the table leg with my fingerpicks when I need to go out.
Perfect, with the fingerpicks we should all be able to hear the overtones from the chair leg and be drawn to your needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
OK--this works for me as long I have company!
Oh yeah brother, stick with me...we can be working on bar chords in the corner hahaha!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I will usually start to claw at the table leg with my fingerpicks when I need to go out.
The very reason why these shows use folding tables with metal legs.

On the plus side, this might not be a bad way to smooth out the edges of your fingerpicks.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The very reason why these shows use folding tables with metal legs.

On the plus side, this might not be a bad way to smooth out the edges of your fingerpicks.
I usually play with serrated fingerpicks for optimal treble response. For some reason, I keep breaking strings at the sound hole??
Old 11-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I usually play with serrated fingerpicks for optimal treble response. For some reason, I keep breaking strings at the sound hole??
Ah, thanks for sharing this with us. It's very helpful. Our protocol calls for removing serrated fingerpicks when we place the muzzle on the victim, er, I mean community member. Safety first, tone second!
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Reservations made at the Hampton Inn. Flying into San Antonio on Friday and leaving Monday morning. Thanks, Tom, for putting on this event. Your home looks beautiful, and I've always wanted to visit that part of Texas. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Rotfl. I missed out on a lot while I was at work!
Old 11-15-2018, 05:41 PM

In light of the two most recent sign ups, names withheld to protect the innocent, but just look at the last two posts...I thought I would share a little inside info on SECURITY:

One of the gentlemen providing security is an ex Air Force career man who was in the security forces. His job, among other things, was to secure perimeters etc. when a Senator, or VP wanted to visit the base for whatever reason. He also was in charge of security set-ups when a nuclear warhead was being moved from one spot to another. He also was security in Germany and once retired from the Air Force, worked as a police officer.

I think he is currently working on plans to secure the area with drones, cameras, microphones, and will have helicopters on call from a local base LOL. Well maybe not all of that, but he will be present to provide our security along with a second off duty officer haha.

So no hanky panky should occur!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:31 AM

We all bear some burdens in life. mine? I've got 2 1943 Gibson, Kalamazoo Gal-made, Banner Southerner Jumbos (yep, the original model designation.

One a young soldier bought in late 1943 and too to the WWII European battlefront:

The other does not appear to have spent a lot of time in foxholes or being drug along the ground behind a soldier:

As Tom has pointed out, I'll definitely bring the went-to-WWII guitar. If folks are interested, I can also bring the minty guitar.

As for the went-to-WWII guitar, for an eventual documentary film, I'll be traveling the world with it, meeting interesting folk who will play the guitar in locations important to women's and WWII history. Here are a couple of the folks who've participated so far:

This should be great fun.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Yes, please! If there are two I'll have a better chance of being able to play at least one. I imagine everyone there will want to touch this history! Thanks so much, John, for being there, and for all you do to promote and preserve these wonderful artifacts.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Smile Oooohhhhhh.....

My goodness this is shaping up to be a most SPECTACULAR event! These Kalamazoo Gals instruments will be wonderful to behold!!!!

Tom, it just gets better and better!

Thanks again for all you and Kathy are doing to put this on. Very much APPRECIATED.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-16-2018, 01:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Room and plane booked. Juston and I will ride in together. Will bring the 1930 OM 28 and any requests from this list:

Baranik Meridian
Giacomel Saturno
LeGeyt parlour

Looking forward to catching up with old friends and making new ones!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Room and plane booked. Juston and I will ride in together. Will bring the 1930 OM 28 and any requests from this list:

Baranik Meridian
Giacomel Saturno
LeGeyt parlour

I vote for the LeGeyt. If I recall, that was a very cool and distinctive instrument.

Tom, it's a good thing you didn't invite a couple dozen luthiers - we are going to be awfully busy with all our show and tell! The whole package is looking more and more special - I can't wait!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Yes, please! If there are two I'll have a better chance of being able to play at least one. I imagine everyone there will want to touch this history! Thanks so much, John, for being there, and for all you do to promote and preserve these wonderful artifacts.
Isn't it great Stan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
My goodness this is shaping up to be a most SPECTACULAR event! These Kalamazoo Gals instruments will be wonderful to behold!!!!

Tom, it just gets better and better!

Thanks again for all you and Kathy are doing to put this on. Very much APPRECIATED.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks Paul, it has been quite a bit of work and sometimes I can't believe how it is all coming together and really has become an event to attend!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post

Baranik Meridian
Giacomel Saturno
LeGeyt parlour

Security will be ready for ya! Boy that is a tough choice, but having met Burton I would have to go with the LeGeyt parlour.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks so much, John, for being there, and for all you do to promote and preserve these wonderful artifacts.
All my pleasure. I've been traveling the world with a Banner since my book was published in early 2013. To over a dozen countries. I bet that I've handed the went-to-WWII guitar to over 5,000 people. I ask that anyone attending my talks/gigs hold it and, if a player, play it.

I feel privileged to be the current conservator of these instuments.

And, I'm really looking forward to Tom's Fest. Thanks, Tom!
Old 11-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
All my pleasure. I've been traveling the world with a Banner since my book was published in early 2013. To over a dozen countries. I bet that I've handed the went-to-WWII guitar to over 5,000 people. I ask that anyone attending my talks/gigs hold it and, if a player, play it.

I feel privileged to be the current conservator of these instuments.

And, I'm really looking forward to Tom's Fest. Thanks, Tom!
Kathy and I thank you John! I have had a couple of the luthiers tell me they are excited to give that one a go and hear her tone!

I have had a couple of questions regarding shipping of guitars to B.I.G. Go ahead and ship what you want to the house. We will store them for you until B.I.G. We only ask that you get a return label and pack them up before you leave so you know they are packed the way you want them, slap on the return label and Kathy and I will get them to where they need to be to send them home, ie. FedEx, UPS, or USPS, however you send them. There will be no charge for us doing that at all. Again, we just appreciate all of you coming!

Thanks,

Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop