The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Best 000-18 variant

So after going back and forth on my Collings OM1T I’ve finally decided to let it go as I’m realizing that short scale works best for me in the om/000 body size given my playing style. I know that the 000-18 standard is a great value but as I search i want to look at some boutique options as well as higher end Martin options (golden era and other custom options.) For those that own or have owned the Golden Era Martins would love to hear how they compare with the standards, and any suggestions on what to look at among the boutique brands would be great as well. Bottom line is I’m looking for the best version of the 000-18 that I can find. Decision points will be adi vs sitka, neck profile etc. thanks for any thoughts.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:01 PM

What is your playing style/music you will using this guitar for?

What tone in your head are you seeking to hear from this guitar?

What type of neck...size and shape do you prefer?

What type of fingerboard width and radius might you prefer?

What is your budget...hoping to stay around...and...absolute top dollar you can and would spend...and is either new or used ok?

This info would help us give you good ideas.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 09-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. I envision playing mostly acoustic blues as well as some folk singer/song writer stuff on this guitar. So fingerpicking and light strumming. For neck profile, I have adapted well to both the Martin MLO and the Collings necks. 1 3/4’ nut is definitely preferable, spacing at the saddle can range 2 1/4 to 2 5/16ths. I’d like to cap this one at $4k but will spend a bit more for the right guitar. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Lots to choose from and I hear you on your thoughts - you're not wrong about the GE Martins. I had a Martin 000-18GE Custom with an Ambertone finish, slotted headstock with torch inlay, Mod V neck. It was the perfect 000-18 guitar. Of the 40-some-odd guitars I've owned over the years, this is the only one I regret selling. There's a lot of really nice boutique builders. I'm a Santa Cruz GC fan having owned many and as of this year, Froggy Bottom. But they will all have their own sound. And nothing sounds like a Martin. The 000-18 is the Swiss Army Knife of guitars, IMHO. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:22 PM

If we're talking best, even though that's subjective, I think small-shop builders are worth a consideration, depending on budget (Borges, Circa, Bagnasco & Casati, etc.). A handful of these small shop builders' guitars will show up in the used market around $4-6k, depending on the luthier.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I loved the 000 Goodall I played 8 years ago.
Spruce / Cocobolo.

At the time the seller wanted $5K. He knew it was a very good one.
I enjoyed 5 memorable minutes of playing. He then he put it back in his case.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:48 AM

Martin 000-18 Authentic 1937 would be my #1 choice.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

I loved the GE, but I preferred the neck on the new reimagined standards. Go figure. I’m also one who likes the sound of plain old sitka. The gentleman above who said the 000-18 was the Swiss Army knife of guitars was spot on. And they are a great value.

I currently have an 000-28 reimagined, but my next Martin will be the 000-18 (again).

PS. Doesn’t Pre War make this model as well? Check Lowe Vintage?
Old 09-20-2021, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
I loved the GE, but I preferred the neck on the new reimagined standards. Go figure. I’m also one who likes the sound of plain old sitka. The gentleman above who said the 000-18 was the Swiss Army knife of guitars was spot on. And they are a great value.

I currently have an 000-28 reimagined, but my next Martin will be the 000-18 (again).

PS. Doesn’t Pre War make this model as well? Check Lowe Vintage?
I like sitka better for fingerstyle.
Old 09-20-2021, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I always liked the 000-18GE the best. Don't play many smaller body guitars and have one OM currently but i remember the 000-18GE being able to cover a lot of ground. I have not played the 000-18 1937 Authentic however?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-20-2021, 07:41 AM

I might be suggesting a guitar that doesn't currently exist, but should in the near future.
Martin has begun producing the 000-28 Custom Authentics, which use Authentic bracing and thinner tops (and finish) than standard. They do have an adjustable truss rod. I have been told the -18 variants will be coming after the initial RW versions are out a while.

If my CA 000-28 Aged is any indication, they will sell briskly and new models / woods will follow. Highly recommended.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 09-20-2021, 07:47 AM

As much as I miss my 000-18GE, my OM1 JL is everything it was and more. I honestly do not even notice the difference in scale, and I thought I had turned into a short scale guy. Plus, the neck on my JL is awesome.

I also had the authentic, and as much as I loved the tone, the neck was not comfortable for me.

scott
Old 09-20-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I might be suggesting a guitar that doesn't currently exist, but should in the near future.
Martin has begun producing the 000-28 Custom Authentics, which use Authentic bracing and thinner tops (and finish) than standard. They do have an adjustable truss rod. I have been told the -18 variants will be coming after the initial RW versions are out a while.

If my CA 000-28 Aged is any indication, they will sell briskly and new models / woods will follow. Highly recommended.
It will interesting to see how this plays out. I think it's a smart move on Martin's part to offer custom versions of the Authentic line. Seems reasonable that they would follow up with an 18 variation. And (as you say) they will most likely sell briskly.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-20-2021, 02:35 PM

I own a 000-18 and love it.

If you have the chance to test a Boucher, I think you will be buying one. They are amazing. I would be playing one too but it was just a bit over my budget....but I still want one

Happy hunting
Old 09-20-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

I used to have a Martin 000-18 Standard and liked it, but ended up trading it in a roundabout way for a D-18 GE. The GE is just an all-around great guitar if you like the neck.

I don't own a 000-18 GE, but I did search for one. Along the way I stumbled across a Martin OM-18 CS (Adirondack soundboard) for sale on this site. I figured this was fairly close. So far I really like it. It has a much thinner neck, very similar to the 000-18 standard that I owned. What differentiates the OM from the my D-18 GE is that the OM has better string clarity. IMO, GE's are great, but they lack some string clarity, which can be a good thing if you play some blues. The scale length on the OM is 25.4" though.

I'm also a big fan of Huss and Dalton and own two of their dreadnoughts. You might want to check out their 000-SP or 000. They have 24.9" scale lengths.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion