The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-17-2021, 12:50 AM

Default Spicing up a small solo performance?

I'm giving my wife and some friends a small acoustic guitar & vocal performance soon. This is a tradition we've had for a few years which they enjoy, and which helps me to focus on mastering a few songs.

In the past, I've always used an a electric guitar with a backing track in the background to fill out the sound. I now want to get away from backing tracks with the acoustic guitar. I went through the songs with some drum loops, which sounded ok, but is probably overkill for a small performance. I then went through the songs accompanied by a pleasant-sounding metronome, and found I enjoyed the way it sounded and how it helped me to focus on the beat.

So now I'm thinking about performing maybe 10 songs live with a metronome in the background as the rhythm section. I'm not sure whether this is wise or the height of stupidity ...
Old 07-17-2021, 01:32 AM

Beat Buddy?

Stomp box?
Cole Clark Angel 3, Huon Pine & silkwood.
Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 12-string, Bunya & Blackwood.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:54 AM
Charter Member

Are you playing dance music ?
If not, don't worry about the metronome - just play your acoustic guitar, and sing to hem, as well as you can.

Start with something upbeat and catchy. follow with something different, then try something sad.
Never do an intro longer than eight bars, four bars is better.

Give them a bit of a rest after three, maybe four songs, and chat and ask if they'd like some more.

When they start talking while you are singing, time to wind it up.

Don't be downhearted - small domestic gatherings have a very short attention span, and non musicians have no concept about how hard you've worked to give them those songs, and actually few people rally understand music.

Probably less is more, and if they ask for more after they'd had a chat and another drink, then be prepared.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:46 AM

Some of this depends on your skills and repertoire, but....

There are a number of devices in the "porch board" realm that might be useful if you have a foot tap beat thing down. They are all basically a mic/transducer in a small box that you drum on with your foot. They are all devices meant to duplicate what some artists did anyway with their foot and sometime had mic'ed up in the old days. Some sound like a louder foot tap, some sound a bit more like a kick drum sound, and most need to be plugged into a PA/amp.

Ideal if you can do the taps and your stuff is more in the John Lee Hooker/Lightnin' Hopkins style of danceable solo guitar.

There were (and I think still are) a few folks who did the Jesse Fuller thing and actually used a kick drum they played along with guitar.

The kazoo/harmonica in the neck rack thing isn't quite rhythm support, but was another "give them something other than guitar all the time" solo guitarist solution from the old days.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-17-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony123 View Post
I'm giving my wife and some friends a small acoustic guitar & vocal performance soon. This is a tradition we've had for a few years which they enjoy, and which helps me to focus on mastering a few songs.

In the past, I've always used an a electric guitar with a backing track in the background to fill out the sound. I now want to get away from backing tracks with the acoustic guitar. I went through the songs with some drum loops, which sounded ok, but is probably overkill for a small performance. I then went through the songs accompanied by a pleasant-sounding metronome, and found I enjoyed the way it sounded and how it helped me to focus on the beat.

So now I'm thinking about performing maybe 10 songs live with a metronome in the background as the rhythm section. I'm not sure whether this is wise or the height of stupidity ...

Hi H123

Work up a song or three with a friend (or three) and sprinkle them throughout the event.

Of just work up all 10 with the help of friends.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-18-2021, 12:40 AM

Fortunately it's a very appreciative, lively crowd. Lots of hopping around to the faster songs and bursts of tears and sadness during the sad songs. No drinks, no food, just music. It's kinda fun ...

Last edited by Harmony123; 07-18-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Fortunately it's a very appreciative, lively crowd. Lots of hopping around to the faster songs and bursts of tears and sadness during the sad songs. No drinks, no food, just music. It's kinda fun ...
Sounds like a fun gig. I only played twice to a predominantly dancing crowd in my small-time performing life. I found it a wonderful experience that some accomplished AGF musicians (a group I'm not one of) haven't had I'd expect.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-18-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I went through the songs with some drum loops, which sounded ok, but is probably overkill for a small performance. ...
Doesn't need to be overkill. Pick a simple rhythm track. My synth has a multitude of them, and they're often my motivation to play something along with them. I love playing with a good, simple rhythm track, like this one:

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 07-20-2021, 12:14 AM

The drums certainly do add a lot to the fullness of the sound.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:15 PM

If you are playing solo, cut out the meter man and play with emotion. If you have "mastered " your songs, a beat / rhythm section should not be required or needed.
Nothing worse then holding a note or extending a phrase with that darn metronome / drum machine in the background.
They are great tools to practice with but definitely not when you play live. Your strumming hand is your rhythm section (imo)
Old 07-21-2021, 01:59 AM
Charter Member

How small?

Wife and friends?

Ditch the amp/pa mic's etc. Go purely acoustic in small semi-circle. Add beer and food.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Are you playing dance music ?
If not, don't worry about the metronome - just play your acoustic guitar, and sing to hem, as well as you can.

Start with something upbeat and catchy. follow with something different, then try something sad.
Never do an intro longer than eight bars, four bars is better.

Give them a bit of a rest after three, maybe four songs, and chat and ask if they'd like some more.

When they start talking while you are singing, time to wind it up.

Don't be downhearted - small domestic gatherings have a very short attention span, and non musicians have no concept about how hard you've worked to give them those songs, and actually few people rally understand music.

Probably less is more, and if they ask for more after they'd had a chat and another drink, then be prepared.

Good advice- I play for my son and his family occasionally- they're impressed because they didn't know I had it in me and I've come a long way in the last 16 mos (IMO) and written some pretty good songs and do some fair covers of songs I like- but, they don't have a clue how much effort goes into each one and don't really care- my DIL has said; Wow! Pop, I couldn't do that- oh she did ask once when I played Janet for them; who's Janet - which is exactly what my other son said his wife would say - SMH- women-
Old 07-25-2021, 08:55 AM

Anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary? Play the appropriate songs for them. As others have mentioned keep it short a ten song set for a group of family and friends is a bit long in my opinion. No need to amp up and don't use a metronome uggh. I hope you know the music well enough to play from the heart without a music stand. Remember less is more and your audience will look forward to hearing you play a few songs again in the future, not think to themselves....oh no here we go again.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 07-25-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
1. Anyone celebrating a birthday or anniversary? Play the appropriate songs for them. 2. As others have mentioned keep it short a ten song set for a group of family and friends is a bit long in my opinion. No need to amp up and don't use a metronome uggh. 3. I hope you know the music well enough to play from the heart without a music stand. 4. Remember less is more and your audience will look forward to hearing you play a few songs again in the future, not think to themselves....oh no here we go again.
1. No birthdays, but this is our first real get-together since the pandemic.
2. I started with 20 songs on my list, and I've now cut it down to 10. I would be kind of sad to trim the list further, but we'll see.
3. I've committed all the songs and lyrics to memory.
4. They've seen me perform privately, and on stage with different bands.

I personally think the metronome sounds pretty cool - but I have the feeling that others here consider performing with one a major faux pas.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:08 PM

Do you have an iPad? GarageBand has some very useful rhythm instruments that could be customized to fit the songs, cajons, tambourines, maracas, or a full drum kit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write