The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2024, 07:36 PM

Default E and A buzz above the 7th fret

Recently had my guitar setup. It’s a higher end guitar, very quality construction. Haven’t set it up since getting it a year ago because it played so well out the box, it did have some playability issues as of late and felt stiff. My tech who does great on all my gear adjusted the relief and took the saddle down a little. The guitar plays much better, easier chords, and sounds nice overall. There is some slight buzz at fret 7 and up on the E and A, (E string 7th through 12th/A String same frets, much much much more minimal though). The buzzing is occurring at the fret immediately after the one I am fretting. So if I fret 7, buzz at 8, fret 10, buzz at 11. The action measures 2mm at the 17th with a capo on first. I have gotten used to playing at 2.3mm and higher on all my acoustics, and the lower isn’t a major problem as I primarily play fingerstyle. This is my OM however and I do use it as an all in one guitar so when I strum, even light, I still get that buzz.

I have another saddle on the way to see if that can address the buzz. I could also shim the one I have now with an index card or something I guess. Just want to make sure that the thought process here is definitely saddle/action related? Or sounds that way?

To be clear, I trust my tech when he says the fret work is tip top on this guitar and I could easily bring it to him, but he’s a part timer and it could be a week before I get it back ��. I’ve been without it long enough and want to learn to do some things on my own. Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Last edited by aricard; 02-12-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

The action at the 17'th on an acoustic is somewhat irrelevant as the higher frets will often drift up or down as the instrument ages and the fingerboard extension gets moved. That's why you see action measured at the 12th.

There are so many things that come into play that it's impossible to say, "this is why it's buzzing". But, the first thing that comes to mind is the truss rod adjustment/relief. Too much relief can raise the action (depending on the neck) causing frets AFTER the relieved area to be buzzy. I commonly see this manifest as buzzing on the 7th and up. Sight down the neck and see if the relief (dip from the 3rd to 7th fret area) is easily noticeable. That may or may not be helpful but if you feel comfortable adjusting the truss rod, taking out a bit of the relief may possibly help.

BTW, wood moves so the guitar could play perfectly for your tech but behave differently at home depending on the temperature, moisture, etc. Or, it might be buzzy for you today but normal in the summer.
Old 02-13-2024, 09:02 AM

Buzzing in that area is often a result of too much relief in the neck. The remedy is to tighten the truss rod and raise the saddle.
Old 02-13-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Buzzing in that area is often a result of too much relief in the neck. The remedy is to tighten the truss rod and raise the saddle.
John,

if your suggestion is that it is often a result of too much relief, then you would suggest adjusting the truss rod first? Doing both wouldn't allow for a proper idea of what fixed the problem.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2024, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricard View Post
John,

if your suggestion is that it is often a result of too much relief, then you would suggest adjusting the truss rod first? Doing both wouldn't allow for a proper idea of what fixed the problem.

Thanks
Adjusting the truss rod to straighten the neck a little won't cure the buzz beyond the 7th, it could well make it worse because the overall 12th fret action will fall. But, the relief needs to be set correctly before setting the saddle height.

There is a possibility that your relief is perfect and your tech set up the saddle for very light touch playing.

I would check your relief and then fit a higher saddle.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-13-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Adjusting the truss rod to straighten the neck a little won't cure the buzz beyond the 7th, it could well make it worse because the overall 12th fret action will fall. But, the relief needs to be set correctly before setting the saddle height.

There is a possibility that your relief is perfect and your tech set up the saddle for very light touch playing.

I would check your relief and then fit a higher saddle.
Yeah, he's got 30 years of doing this stuff and working as a tech on the road. After acclimating being back in the house the A string buzz I actually gone, its just the E in that same 7 to 12 fret area. I can see right where it is it frustrating.

I might just try sticking a small piece of a playing card under the saddle and see if that helps, then use the new saddle when it comes in. I think you may be right he set it up for a light touch as I do finger style 70% of the time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair