The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-22-2024, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
This picture is yesterday, and today I have played the Cambodian JB-15-WRX. More about that tomorrow or so.

Exciting stuff!
Old 04-03-2024, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

The suspense is killing me, Bruce! What are your thoughts on the Cambodian WRX? I’d love to see pics of the final product- she looks simply amazing from what I can see![emoji91]
Old 04-03-2024, 10:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

The Cambodian has been strung for over a week, and although I have barely had time to play it, it seems as good as my work gets.

My wife Linda and I are in the 4th week of remodeling the back entrance to our home, which we call the “mud room”. Although I am not doing the carpentry, I am doing the cabinets and some of the finish work, and most of the painting.

Thank you for the kick in the pants, and I will make an effort today or tomorrow to make the promised pictures.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Plan on coming by in a couple hours with your earlier Cambodian guitar - we’ll see if the new one measures up!
Old 04-10-2024, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Although I finished the JB-16 I made for "Palladio" a couple of months ago, it did not get into his hands until a few days ago due to his busy schedule. He has written me a couple of notes since, and gave me permission to share this one:

Bruce,
Great to hang out with you again at the shop. I'm back home and have had two days playing the JB-16.

If my reaction to it seemed a bit subdued at the shop, it's because it was a bit overwhelming to pick up the most expensive guitar I have ever bought, and the only one I've bought that I'd never played before! Add to that being in the room with the artist who put their heart and soul into building it for me, and I was in a bit of a daze perhaps. It's like having Michelangelo walk you into the Sistine chapel blindfolded, then taking off the blindfold and saying "look up!".

Now that I have some time alone with it, I can honestly say that you hit the ball out of the park. It is exactly what I was hoping for, and even better than I expected. I think I've played at least a dozen of your guitars now, both at the shop, and some belonging to people I met through the AGF. I'd have gladly taken any one of them home and cherished it. However, this JB-16 would be my first choice. I feel as if you read my mind in terms of what I wanted in a guitar. It has the sustain/reverb/lushness and overtones that I associate with Brazilian Rosewood, but it also has a warmth and sweetness that I love about my vintage Mahogany Gibsons and Martin. It's as powerful and wide open brand new as the best of my vintage guitars that have been played in for 70+ years. That in itself is an amazing accomplishment. It's like you took the best aspects from each of my favorite vintage guitars, and combined them into one that sort of does it all. Not sure if my words translate well, it's just the best I can do to describe what I'm hearing and feeling. The bottom line is that if I could only own one guitar, this would be it, and I wouldn't feel I was missing anything.

Outside of the sound, the neck profile, comfort, and aesthetics are also tops. The asymmetrical design and shallower depth make it far more comfortable than my Martin Dreadnought or Gibson Slope Shoulder Jumbo, without giving up any of the power of those guitars. I also really like how the waist and shape of the guitar place my left hand closer to my body than on other guitars of similar scale. And finally, the guitar is lighter than you told me. My scale (which I know is accurate) puts it at exactly 3lbs 15 oz. I know you said the Snakewood added some weight, but that's still very light. I was hoping the guitar would be 4 lbs or under, and you hit that nail on the head too.

Anyway, I can't thank you enough for building this very special guitar for me. I will have more thoughts that I intend to share on AGF, but would like to ask you how you think best to go about it before I post.

Cheers,

(PALLADIO, I removed his actual name as I have not seen it shared on the forum)

Also, I have not forgotten the pictures for the Cambodian JB-15, I'm just otherwise occupied.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I feel as if I should make one of those statements at the end of political commercials...."I'm Palladio, and I approve this message".

And yes, I do approve.

While at the shop, I played several of Bruce's other guitars on hand. Someone should buy the recently completed Cambodian Rosewood guitar. Trust me on that.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

I agree with everything expressed in Palladio’s letter, and more. For me there is one sentiment that says it all: “ The bottom line is that if I could only own one guitar, this would be it, and I wouldn't feel I was missing anything.” I have a bunch of great guitars that I completely appreciate and enjoy, but Bruce gave me a guitar that is complete in every sense. Enjoy your guitar. It’s a rare thing.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:09 PM

Congrats to Palladio on his new guitar, and to you, Bruce, for once again hitting the mark. Well done sir!
Old 04-10-2024, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladio View Post
I feel as if I should make one of those statements at the end of political commercials...."I'm Palladio, and I approve this message".

And yes, I do approve.

While at the shop, I played several of Bruce's other guitars on hand. Someone should buy the recently completed Cambodian Rosewood guitar. Trust me on that.
Having the earlier, mini-D Bruce built with the “sister” set of Cambodian rosewood he had, we were interested in comparing the 2. I love mine, but his JB design has a number of ergonomic advantages, and this new one is every bit the equal of my old one (possibly a bit better) in tone, and a really great example of Bruce’s design and aesthetic - an exceptional guitar!
Old 04-15-2024, 11:16 PM
Charter Member

When I have time this week I will post my own thread about my new JB-16, as I don't want to hijack this one.

However, I will say if you haven't played one of Bruce's fully asymmetrical, multi-scale "JB" guitars, I encourage you to do so. I think they are the apex of his life's work thus far, and in their own league compared to any other modern guitar I've owned or played. I can't believe how open, resonant, and alive my guitar is brand new. The only other guitars I could compare it to in that way are my '38 Martin 0-18 and '46 Gibson J-45.....which are both exceptional examples of their type. Everything else I pick up now after this Sexauer JB feels and sounds like it's in a box.

Bruce's guitars are such a joy to play, you owe it to yourself to try one if you haven't yet. Go visit him at his shop in Petaluma. If you're in SoCal, anyone here is welcome to contact me and come play mine in San Diego. I should warn you though, that you may end up going down the rabbit hole, as I did after I played my first Sexauer.
Old 04-16-2024, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

I own a JB-15, and can confirm it is a very inspiring, exceptionally well crafted instrument. Plus, believe me, you will never think it is a multi-scale while you are playing. Zero learning curve, really (it was my first multiscale).
Old 04-16-2024, 10:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo View Post
I own a JB-15, and can confirm it is a very inspiring, exceptionally well crafted instrument. Plus, believe me, you will never think it is a multi-scale while you are playing. Zero learning curve, really (it was my first multiscale).
Good to see you here, Massimo. It is my my belief that many builders go unnecessarily far with both MultiScale string length disparity and body wedging. Both of these features can make a guitar a better tool w/o imposing ergonomic disadvantages. A little dab’ll do ya.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Good to see you here, Massimo. It is my my belief that many builders go unnecessarily far with both MultiScale string length disparity and body wedging. Both of these features can make a guitar a better tool w/o imposing ergonomic disadvantages. A little dab’ll do ya.
I seem to remember that you have 2 asymmetrical options - JB and JB2. Is this correct? And, if so, what are the ranges of each?
Old 04-16-2024, 02:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I seem to remember that you have 2 asymmetrical options - JB and JB2. Is this correct? And, if so, what are the ranges of each?
JB is a 1/2" disparity of string length, and includes an asymmetrical body reflecting the string path asymmetry.

JB/2 goes on a symmetrical (normal) body, and is only 1/4" disparity. I usually leave the bridge in standard location and put the 1/4" at the nut, which allows me to use the same headstock template as my full JB, which utilizes the 12th fret as the neutral point, requiring the bridge location to twisted on the top.

It turns out that because how close to the bridge one picks makes a huge difference in tone, twisting the bridge means the bass strings are automatically picked further from the bridge than the treble strings, which therefore works against the MultiScale goal of increasing bass acuity in order to achieve superior string to string balance. Because JB/2 has't got this issue, it works surprisingly well in comparison.

Because you asked!
Old 04-16-2024, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Because you asked!
Indeed I did. And that's a great (and complete!) answer. I have the guitar, and now I have the details to go with it. I know you told me before, but, well, you know

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop