The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-23-2023, 02:03 AM

Default 3 set of Brazilian Rosewood

Hello, I am getting a guitar built, the luthier offered 3 sets of Brazilian Rosewood for me to choose from.

Would like to see your opinion!

Set 1

Set 2

Set 3
Old 10-23-2023, 02:27 AM

I’d pick number two. To me, coming from hobby carpentry I think that one looks like the one least prone to cracks but I’m no expert and I can only judge from my own experience and looks.

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62
and a hefty amount of cheap beaters to circle around the house

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-23-2023, 03:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’d suggest you see the sides that go with each set before making any decisions

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 10-23-2023, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Based on the backs only, set 2.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Set 2 is flatsawn. I’d pick 1 or 3 but agree with Mark that sides would need to be seen to narrow it down.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:41 PM

Numero 3 for me, I think it is beautiful. A good builder and a well cared for ie. humified guitar even of BRW should not crack. I go for aesthetics personally.
Old 10-23-2023, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I'm #1 all day, #3 I just don't dig the single dark stripe. #2 a distant 3rd because it's flatsawn.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-23-2023, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

I'm with warfrat73--Numero 1 gets my vote!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 10-23-2023 at 04:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-23-2023, 05:39 PM

Not an expert on BRW, but if I had to choose on looks, Set #1 all the way for me.
Old 10-23-2023, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Set 2 is flatsawn. I’d pick 1 or 3 but agree with Mark that sides would need to be seen to narrow it down.
Oh, my. Number 2 was cut a few degrees off quartered but most certainly was not flat-sawn.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Put a Moisture Meter on All Three BRW Sets

Aloha Wilson.fu,

Brazilian Rosewood loves to crack, especially with seasonal changes when it loses moisture to dry indoor heating. BRW guitars fare best when made in a humidity-controlled environment @ 40-50% rh.

In fact, if you are a regular gigging musician who travels a lot, I might go with another RW species for a gigging guitar because of moisture loss or dinging cracks that BRW is prone to.

If you play mostly at home or are a collector, you can control your space to ensure a stable environment to keep a BRW guitar.

Hope you are also ordering a great, humidified case for your new guitar. Always keep your guitar in that case, no matter how tempted to show it off on a stand, or worse, an external wall.

And today, only the lucky, most seasoned luthiers can regularly (& not that often) get their hands on well-quartered, mostly reclaimed sets of BRW, that's why we see so many flat-sawn backs on guitars these days (the last 30 years really), especially from the Kinnaird brothers, Ha! (EZ boys, just kidding).

BRW has been on the international, endangered species CITES list since 1991. And still, our industry uses & promotes it.

But try to take it into Japan or Canada for a gig without authenticated CITES documentation & see what happens. BRW instruments can be confiscated by customs. Some countries actually respect endangered species laws. After using BRW on over 50 guitars, I stopped using BRW as soon as it hit that list. I sold off all my BRW sets to my friend, the late, great Robert Ruck for his incredible classical & flamenco guitars.

Because of its easy-cracking potential, BRW should be well-quartersawn...AND DRY. Otherwise, it's a risk.

So, if it were me, I'd put a moisture meter on all three BRW sets (backs AND sides) to see what your luthier is working with & if the sets can even be used yet. Or have the luthier meter them for you - while you are in attendance. Should be 6-8 percent moisture content to begin with & consistent density across the face.

VERY IMPORTANTLY, Choose the least flat-cut of the sets - (INCLUDING THE SIDES)! It's hard to tell which one - if any - is best from these pictures. There are other factors besides visuals for determining if a set is dry & quartered enough to be stable.

Of course, it is accidents, plus the ignorance & mistreatment by guitar owners that puts cracks in guitars of any species of wood. But BRW just needs a little more help & care than others to avoid cracking. Beware & you'll be OK.

You should have the luthier finish the inside surfaces to retard the moisture exchange rate. That really helped me avoid cracks in travelling guitars as well.

Good luck with your build and with maintaining a stable, crack-free, wonderful BRW guitar, Wilson.fu.

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 10-24-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 10:30 PM

That looks like good old BRW. As mentioned 2 *might be flat sawn but I've seen many vintage 1800's guitars with flatsawn BRW. Being old it will be more stable. It ain't stump wood.

But 1 and 3 have that silking that is desirable and very pretty. I like that little touch of sap wood on 3 so that would be my choice.

Last edited by redir; 10-25-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-23-2023, 11:28 PM

Without a doubt or hesitation, absolutely NO:1 !!

But it also depends how the sides will match.

All the best!
Old 10-24-2023, 05:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Oh, my. Number 2 was cut a few degrees off quartered but most certainly was not flat-sawn.
Zoom in John. Center of each half certainly is flat and center line of a flatsawn cut visually indicative of the chevron grain shape.
Old 10-24-2023, 08:26 AM

I like #3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop