The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-31-2022, 04:04 PM

Cool Running Live Sound?!?!

Hey Guys new user here! I'm out in the Central Bluegrass region if Kentucky, big flat-picker here.

I HAVE A QUESTION about running sound I wanted some feedback on(lol feedback)

When it comes to Acoustic String groups(guitar, bass, fiddle, mandolin, banjo)

Is it better to run those instruments through individual amps, OR run them l through one PA system??

What are the pros and cons of both ways?
Any helpful tips tricks??

Thanks so much I'll be updating you guys with what I find out later!
Old 12-31-2022, 04:14 PM

Running all instruments into a mixer allows for the person(s) doing mixing to have close to full control over each instrument, thus giving them more options for the entire mix.

However, musicians love their amps and use them both to project to an audience and to monitor themselves.

If you do the mixer route, eventually you also need to think about monitors.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-31-2022, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I'd say both. If your musicians want to use their amps for stage volume as a monitor they can use the DI out to the board. Just remind them not to make any changes once you've done your sound check as you'll put them in time out (aka 'mute")!
Old 12-31-2022, 05:29 PM

I think the size of the venue and the PA system itself come into play. For instance, if the PA is just some 2way tops with no subs, the bass is probably better off just through its own amp. On the other hand, if the PA system has 15 or 18" subs, I'd definitely DI it from its amp into the PA. An electric guitar with a 100 watt (or even 50 watt tube) 4x12 cab may not need to be run through a PA, but the cab will bleed into any nearby mic.

If they're not using their own amp, be sure to give them a good monitor mix.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:18 PM

The more old-school performing musicians I meet, the more I embrace low-volume stages. Deafness and tinnitus are a serious bummer.
Old 12-31-2022, 07:03 PM

The instrumentation you listed makes me think either single-mic (with an LDC), or maybe a couple of mic’s (LDC for the group + SDC for solos), into a mixing desk with decent EQ and then a PA. Bass could DI to the mixer if needed with pick-up or clip-on mic of the bass player’s choice. (I’m assuming an upright bass … obviously if it’s an electric bass then DI to PA or bass amp needed). Would that work for your group and typical venues?

If not that … then how about a dynamic mic on each instrument and vocal? That kind of set-up with Shure SM 57’s and 58’s or similar are pretty standard for bluegrass groups that don’t want to do single-mic.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:37 PM

I know bluegrass is done differently in different parts of the world and throughout the US. Here in the PNW we usually see bands using 1 - 3 condensers the players step up to for solos. Some do the single condenser.

If plugged in they usually go into the board and use floor monitors. Not too common anymore to see onstage amps.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
The instrumentation you listed makes me think either single-mic (with an LDC)
I was thinking the same thing. The Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina seems to work well for this. Of course, the musicians have to understand how to use this setup. When you're the primary singer or soling an instrument, move in, otherwise step back.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-01-2023, 12:46 AM

One of the many wisdoms of Dave Rat is the suggestion that it's a very weird thing to have identical sounds coming from multiple sources (stereo PA) and an unnatural thing for our ears and brain to come to terms with. It results in layers of phase cancellation and augmentation which means that as you walk around a room the sound changes and that at no stopping point in that room is the sound free of interference.

This is the beauty of multiple amps, one sound - one source. The eye can look at the mandolin amp and hear the sound emanating from it with minimum colouration, likewise the other instruments, all combining to create a credible stereo image with appropriate room colouration for their position.

In our heads this results in improved separation of elements and overall clarity of (audio?) vision.

However, there are so many variables to consider and coordination requires careful listening and a shared determination to make it work.

...and good gear.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:51 AM

I run sound at a small venue that often has small acoustic groups. They generally want to know there's gonna be a small bass amp available. Sometimes they use it, sometimes not. Just about zero guitar/mando/fiddle players use amps. Billy Strings has made the acoustic-guitar-plus-pedals thing more popular, but imo he hasn't made it more good.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amplifier, band, live sound