The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Default fishman matrix.

anybody have any experience with this pickup? the reason i ask is i'm looking to buy a guitar that already has one in it. i've never hjeard much about it.

would probably replace it with something else but was just wondering.https://images.craigslist.org/00D0D_...I_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by bobbyg67; 05-14-2021 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 04:23 AM

The Matrix, in its various forms, is one of the most common under saddle pickups and is the basis for some of Martin’s own brand pickups.

Advantages: easy to work with, relatively natural sound and is easily matched to Fishman’s Aura series of pedals and preamps to come close to a “my guitar only louder” sound.

Disadvantages: it’s a piezo under saddle pickup and can sound a bit plasticky with the risk for quack (a consequence of piezo electronics under pressure). This can be corrected with good eq and a little compression

The picture you’ve posted shows the controls inside the sound hole which I would prefer over side mounted barn door preamps.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-15-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

The Matrix UST works very well with IR (Impulse Response) devices like the ToneDexter, LR Baggs VoicePrint, and Fishman Aura pedals that pretty much eliminate the quack and can give the pickup's amplified tone a mic-like tonality.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 05-15-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67 View Post
anybody have any experience with this pickup? the reason i ask is i'm looking to buy a guitar that already has one in it. i've never hjeard much about it.

would probably replace it with something else but was just wondering.https://images.craigslist.org/00D0D_...I_1200x900.jpg
Be sure to ask the buyer if the pickup system has a hum. Several of the suspiciously low priced ebay guitars which I've purchased over the years were equipped with humming Matrix or Prefix systems. (Fishman Prefix systems include the "barn door" style preamps with the same piezo film UST which the Matrix system employs.)

The Matrix UST is rather delicate in comparison to the Baggs Element UST and the various co-axial USTs like the Fishman Sonicore. In addition to the Matrix being more prone to having the shielding compromised and developing a hum, its also more difficult to install than the Element USTs, co-axial USTs and other USTs which are pre-wired to the preamp and flexible enough to be threaded up into the saddle slot through a hole in the bridgeplate. The Matrix is fairly stiff (a good quality in some respects) and the lead wire must be threaded down through the bridgeplate and soldered (or otherwise connected) to a preamp after the pickup has been laid in the saddle slot.

In my experience, a Matrix or Prefix system is the most compatible system to use with an Aura pedal. That's probably because most of the Aura sound images in the Aura gallery were created using Matrix or Prefix equipped guitars.

I currently have a cheap ($15 from China) Fishman (they claim) UST in one of my guitars. I soldered it to a Shatten Design onboard preamp and have been pretty happy with the way its working with the modeling, and extensive EQ options, provided by my Zoom A1 Four pedal.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-15-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Be sure to ask the buyer if the pickup system has a hum. Several of the suspiciously low priced ebay guitars which I've purchased over the years were equipped with humming Matrix or Prefix systems. (Fishman Prefix systems include the "barn door" style preamps with the same piezo film UST which the Matrix system employs.)

The Matrix UST is rather delicate in comparison to the Baggs Element UST and the various co-axial USTs like the Fishman Sonicore. In addition to the Matrix being more prone to having the shielding compromised and developing a hum, its also more difficult to install than the Element USTs, co-axial USTs and other USTs which are pre-wired to the preamp and flexible enough to be threaded up into the saddle slot through a hole in the bridgeplate. The Matrix is fairly stiff (a good quality in some respects) and the lead wire must be threaded down through the bridgeplate and soldered (or otherwise connected) to a preamp after the pickup has been laid in the saddle slot.

In my experience, a Matrix or Prefix system is the most compatible system to use with an Aura pedal. That's probably because most of the Aura sound images in the Aura gallery were created using Matrix or Prefix equipped guitars.

I currently have a cheap ($15 from China) Fishman (they claim) UST in one of my guitars. I soldered it to a Shatten Design onboard preamp and have been pretty happy with the way its working with the modeling, and extensive EQ options, provided by my Zoom A1 Four pedal.

The later models of Matrix have a screw attachment to the end pin preamp and as such are way easier to install than the older soldered version.

But agreed, the pickup element is very susceptible to scratches which lead inevitably to nasty ground hum. It’s an easy fix both short term and long term: short term, a tiny sliver of kitchen foil on the side with the scratch or maybe even touch up with cavity shielding paint (I haven’t tried the paint fix but can testify to the kitchen foil fix!).

Long term, installing a new element is easy enough as long as the connection to the end pin preamp is the screw in variety.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-16-2021, 03:12 AM

I used Matrix and Matrix Infinity systems for many years. They sound great through an Aura system-one of the best live sounds I’ve ever had is my old 1990 Hummingbird with Matrix Infinity through an Aura 16.

I switched to soundhole pickups eventually after falling in love with the Sunrise (sounds like a bad pop lyric!) but I had no complaints about the Matrix systems at all. String balance has to be got right in installation, but that’s the same for all USTs.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Matrix UST works very well with IR (Impulse Response) devices like the ToneDexter, LR Baggs VoicePrint, and Fishman Aura pedals that pretty much eliminate the quack and can give the pickup's amplified tone a mic-like tonality.
Also my experience.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:33 PM

I have the latest version of the Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend, and can't fault it. Plenty of comments by listeners saying how great it sounds.
90% is the standard UST pickup, with 10% of the mic blended in.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification