The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-10-2014, 11:12 PM

Default Please sugeest a luthier: Martin Jumbo Mahogany Conversion to OM Size

Hello,

I have a Martin Jumbo Mahogany (0000 size) since 15 years ago, I like it but somehow it's body size is a bit too big for me.

Because of sentimental value, I really wanna use it as my main guitar but since it's size, it somehow always keep me from sticking with it.

I wanna have it converted as below:
1) Converted to OM size
2) Change the laminated Mahogany back and sides to solid woods
3) Replace a new fingerboard
4) Change to Butterbean Tuners
5) I wanna keep the top and the neck, the top is Solid Sitka Spruce

The diameter of the sound hole is same as my Martin Belleza Nera OM, I guess it could be converted/cut into OM size top, I mean technically?

I know most of the people will suggest me to just order a new guitar or just keep the neck or just don't convert it at all.

However, I really wanna stick with it and to stick with it I have to convert it into an OM. (Ok, ok, it'a personal preference thing.)

Could you please suggest any luthier willing to do the job? Thanks so much!

Best,
Phil
Old 08-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Humanist

I will do it for $20,000.00.

I'll throw in round trip shipping.

Now, I'll actually have to discard all the original parts on your 0000 by way of downsizing it to an OM, and to also fulfill your wish of having the laminate parts changed to solid woods.

I may or may not choose to use your existing top and neck, since the chainsaw that I will use to get the guitar apart is not all that accurate, and some delicate areas of the guitar might be damaged...

...but beyond that, I will certainly promise you an OM sized guitar, and one with whatever soundhole diameter you specify.

$20K will just about cover it.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-11-2014, 12:25 AM

With all due respect, Larry's quote is a bit excessive.

For $20,000, I would include "The Tree" mahogany back and sides. Otherwise if we use plain mahogany I would do the conversion for $15,000.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

I would recommend Frank Finocchio in Easton Pa
He was an engineer for Martin for many years and has since started his own shop. A job like this has him written all over it

Good Luck!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 08-11-2014, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Phil,

What Larry and Joe are saying in their "tongue-in-cheek" way is that a sensible course of action will be for you to find that OM sized guitar that speaks to you and pass the Jumbo on to a new owner (family member?) that can appreciated it. That way it's sentimental value remains intact, and not reduced to a top and a neck.

FWIW.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Phil,

The right luthier will accommodate your wishes without judging your sentimental desires. Certainly, he may question the logic but, sentimentality doesn't need to be restrained by logic.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 08-11-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM

As a builder, I echo the remarks that it would be better for you to find another instrument rather than trying to convert this guitar. Here's why.

1). In order to convert the guitar, it requires complete disassembly of the instrument including the blocks and linings. You said the back was laminated, and if so, the sides may be as well which would prevent changing their shape to an OM. Disassembly is always risky even for things like bridge removal and neck resets;

2). Assuming you could rebend the sides and create a side assembly your next problem is the bracing. Your jumbo is braced differently than an OM. The braces are longer, taller, and in different positions requiring changing the very core of the sound you say you're so attached to in order to have it function on a smaller frame.

I just don't think this is practical from a restoration standpoint and quite frankly I'd expect any repair person worth their salt to reject the project on the grounds of first do no damage.

Find a smaller guitar that speaks to you and move on.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Default modify with wedge or bevel instead?

Another much easier alternative would be to keep the original body but modify it with a Manzer wedge or a top bevel. With a wedge, the sides are narrower where your strumming arm hangs over. The top bevel would similarly make the top more comfortable.

This would be a lot less work and would be more likely to preserve the original tone. For example: http://www.shabbychicguitars.com/guitars.htm
Also see:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=195730

wedge:

bevel (with a soundport):

Last edited by dhalbert; 08-11-2014 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-11-2014, 08:15 AM

I guess the question is what you would be willing to spend for this conversion. A guitar with laminate back and sides was probably not very expensive to begin with, so it's quite likely that the conversion will cost more than the guitar did, or more than it's modern equivalent. It might also cost more than having a custom-made OM, since modifying the top and neck might cost more than starting from scratch.

If price is no object then I'm sure you can find a luthier who will do this for you, but there would be no guarantee that you would like the sound of the new guitar as much as the old one.

If it were me? I'd hang that Martin on the wall and buy an OM. You could buy a decent one for less than that conversion project would cost: you can get a solid wood mahogany/spruce Recording King for less than $600, and if you don't like it, have a luthier put your Martin neck and top on it.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

You may be able to find someone to take on the job. But as the job at least on the surface sounds like more work than building a new guitar, you may find it to be cost prohibitive. Like David said, it would involve a total deconstruction of the instrument.

I would question why you're sentimental about the top? Does it have something written on it? Does it have something irreplaceable going for it? My guess is that someone could build an OM that sounds better, has the same neck profile, incorporates elements of your current guitar, and would be cheaper than a heavy reconstruction project. Also, you would end up with two guitars.

My 2 cents. If you need a new OM, we or any builder on the sidebar can probably do it.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 AM
Humanist

P.S. I reported my own post to the Mods.

I couldn't help myself.

Forgive me.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
P.S. I reported my own post to the Mods.

I couldn't help myself.

Forgive me.
And we granted you tentative absolution pending full review by the College of Cardinals.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
And we granted you tentative absolution pending full review by the College of Cardinals.
But based on their faces when we told them, the outcome is questionable in my mind. Prepare for the worse!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM

I think your best choice is to keep the 0000 and get a second guitar that's enjoyable to play. Get a really nice Hercules stand or wall hanger for the 0000, so you can enjoy your memories with it, even if you don't play it so often.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM

Hey Gang - I'm thinking big time troll thread here.

OP started the same thread back in 2011:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=210314

Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop