The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Thank you, my friend. I do enjoy the teaching aspect of this work. I am really looking forward to the time when I set up my next workshop, you know the one with 2500 square feet of space, and skylights, and dedicated work stations, all the right tools, jigs, and machinery, good dust collection, and a certified spray booth... I am definitely planning on bringing some active teaching into my enterprise. I would like to offer week-long classes, and full-year or 18-month apprenticeships someday.
I want to follow in the footsteps of some of my heroes, like Charles Fox, and Robert O'Brien, and of course the Master, Ervin Somogyi. I'm not fit to stand in the shadows of any of these guys, but doing these little demos on the AGF is good practice. I'm so glad you enjoy this! Thanks for looking!
It's good to be humble, Steve, but not too humble! You are doing fantastic work, and you are innovative. You graciously open the curtains and allow your peers and admirers a peek at how the magic is done. Please don't sell yourself short. I don't build 'em, and don't necessarily even play 'em that well, but I am very impressed with the guitars you build and the way you approach this community. You are truly a class act.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-09-2014, 12:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
It's good to be humble, Steve, but not too humble! You are doing fantastic work, and you are innovative. You graciously open the curtains and allow your peers and admirers a peek at how the magic is done. Please don't sell yourself short. I don't build 'em, and don't necessarily even play 'em that well, but I am very impressed with the guitars you build and the way you approach this community. You are truly a class act.
You are very kind, Mike. Thank you! I do have a lot of confidence in my abilities, and I am proud of my work. But it is important to give credit where it's due. You know that saying, "We stand on the shoulders of giants"? Well, that's me. Fourteen years a luthier, but in the relative scheme of things, still a newbie. Had it not been for the extraordinary generosity of the pathfinders and trailblazers, many of whom participate on this Forum, and the people who took it upon themselves to pass along this priceless craft wisdom, where would we be?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Nah...if it works, claim you invented it. If it fails, blame your teacher! Oh, wait, that's what my kids do. Forget it...your answer us way better!! Nice to recognize our inspirations and give credit where due.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Good stuff, Steve. And those two sets--yowser!
Especially interesting is your bevel process, which strikes me as quite similar to Matt Mustapick's approach. Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop