The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default New Edwinson Guitars Website

When it comes to my guitar work, I admit that I am a bit of an O/C control freak. That's actually not a bad characteristic if you're a self-employed sole proprietor, as I am, at least most of the time...
I like to do everything myself, even if I don't really know how. For instance, building and maintaining a website.
I am definitely NOT a digital native, nor even a digital naturalized immigrant. When it comes to computers, I'm a lot like those proto-hominids who discovered the mysterious black obelisk in the opening scene of Kubrick's 2001, A Space Odyssey, many years ago.

I've been mostly off the radar screen for about two years now; I wanted to wait until I was established in my new digs here, to see what kind of capabilities I'd have in the new shop, et cetera. During which time I worked down my build list to a very few. (I currently have four build slots open for 2014.)

Well, after sorting out a whole slew of puzzling issues with getting my site uploaded and deployed via my second-party hosting service, it finally went live at about 6:30 AM today.
If you're curious, have a look: http://edwinsonguitar.com
The site looks somewhat home-spun; but there's a lot of comprehensive information, photos, Design Philosophy... What can I say, I love to write about guitars...
Thanks for looking!

Also- to everyone here who celebrates Christmas- I hope you and yours have a wonderful, blessed, Merry Christmas. To everyone else, warmest Season's Greetings! And to EVERYONE here in the AGF community, best wishes for a healthy, prosperous, fortunate New Year!
-Steve
Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 PM
Musical minimalist

Informative, easy to navigate, classy, great prices on "available guitars" - not sure what more anyone could want!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:35 PM

I think the website looks great Steve. Very informative and easy to navigate.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM

I loved the information i got from the site. Also i laughed quite hard at some of the funny , tiny remarks you spread throughout the site. the aliens situation and bar fight are, bar none my favorite read from any luthier site. as a warning tough, in some instances some images did block text and content, such as in the bottom of the headstock page, mind you, i am watching ths on a laptop, so maybe this not applies to everyone.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryudas View Post
I loved the information i got from the site. Also i laughed quite hard at some of the funny , tiny remarks you spread throughout the site. the aliens situation and bar fight are, bar none my favorite read from any luthier site. as a warning tough, in some instances some images did block text and content, such as in the bottom of the headstock page, mind you, i am watching ths on a laptop, so maybe this not applies to everyone.
Thanks for your comments! I know, not everyone gets my peculiar sense of humor, but to my way of thinking, I'd rather keep a casual narrative than a starchy, formal one. I appreciate your affirmation!

I've had previous problems with text and photos getting displaced a bit when viewed on different computer screen formats. Not sure what to do about it, except move stuff around in my web builder, republish, and hope for the best.
I built this site with Apple's iWeb, which Apple stopped supporting in 2011. It still works pretty well, but this is the last time I'll use it. Fortunately, now that I got the bugs worked out with the host, I can update every day if I want to. My first big update will be to add a comprehensive article and photos of the Athena Project, which will be my first builds of 2014, prototyping a duet of a brand-new Edwinson model, the Athena Crossover-- a hybrid nylon string. I'm really eager to get to it. Stay tuned!
I'm like a smart chimp, playing Beethoven on a grand piano! FUN!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM

I just blew an hour salivating over your beautiful work, Steve. I can see why you are reluctant to let some of those beauties go, but I can't see any of them lasting very long at all now that you have them up for sale. The site looks great and the videos are very impressive - I especially liked the sound of that nylon stringed Consort. I may have to get in line for one of those Athena crossovers!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:08 PM

Default New Edwinson Guitars Website

Steve- Congratulations on the site, it's very user friendly and just plain awesome!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Every guitar player should play one of Steve's guitars. That is all I can add to this thread.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:28 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Great website, Steve! Wonderful photography and copy. I really enjoyed reading through that.

"Starting in 2014, I will be reserving about a third of my build slots for spec guitars; the rest will be custom, commissioned builds."

I applaud you for trying this approach. Both of my Edwinson guitars are spec guitars and they are works of art.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Great website, Steve! Wonderful photography and copy. I really enjoyed reading through that.

"Starting in 2014, I will be reserving about a third of my build slots for spec guitars; the rest will be custom, commissioned builds."

I applaud you for trying this approach. Both of my Edwinson guitars are spec guitars and they are works of art.
Thank you, J.R. Without you I'd be nuthin, Man! And you know, building a suite of guitars on spec to take to Healdsburg is often a pretty stress-inducing endeavor, but I love doing it because I can totally build the custom guitar that I want. Even if I keep it for only a few weeks after it's fledged, for a little while, that's MY guitar, the one that totally does it for me.

That's why this work never gets old.

We'll see how it goes with the commission/ spec equation.
At the Healdsburg, Paul Heumiller came over to my table and said hello, and checked out my guitars. He extended an invite to consign a guitar or two at Dream Guitars. I plan on taking two up to Asheville in mid-January, for Paul's consideration. THAT would be a prestige gig!

J.R., tell Holly, our conversation when she called today was an unexpected bit of joy. Makes me wistful for the August gathering. Nothing like sitting in the grass at Ribbecke's as dusk turns into night, and taking in the air with all the music in it, eh? I'll never forget you and Bevan Frost, improvising these legendary songs right off the edge... And who was the guy with the fiddle, who added just the perfect voice...?
Sometimes, there come these brief moments where everything is just right in the world.
Merry Happy, my friend.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 PM

Congratulations on your new website, Steve. You did a terrific job. Nice layout and lots of interesting content to read. Guitars aren't bad either...
Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 PM

Love the new site. Very cool.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Charter Member

Quite a nice website. Thanks for sharing it with us, and congratulations!
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Congratulations on getting your site up!

I know all the time and effort it takes to put a site together and you've done a great job.

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Congratulations

The only moment that a luthier's website is ever current is the day that they launch it!

Kudos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop