The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM

Actually if you were looking for the occasional bit of wood, you might try to see if a local luthier had anything spare he might let you have, the advantage being, you get to save on shipping and meet someone who may help you!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:56 AM

I got nice sets of Madagascar R/W from Madinter back in late '08 when the exchange rate was good, nicely sawn and dry, it helps to phone a supplier and strike up a relationship regarding your requirements, eg dimensions, moisture content etc.

Plug, I've PM'd you
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM

I've used Touchstone (mail order) with good results. I believe they have a shop you can visit as well, but like you, it's a long way away (not as far as Turkey though!!).

I wouldn't get too worked up about wood choices for your first build either - while you can certainly build something as good as most folks can afford to buy off the shelf for a first build, it won't be the "ultimate guitar", for that you'll have to build a few more Then there's the friend of mine who's started 4 guitars, all with super-expensive tone woods and finished none of them... not that that will be you obviously!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Cheers Tavy, I've got no plans to go crazy on the woods, really just looking for something straight grained and fairly plain, and like you say, maybe save the groundbreaking experimental stuff for another time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop