The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-25-2020, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Back when my mom was in her 70s, she and her friends looked for movie recommendations in the paper and went to the matinee every week.

I personally enjoyed Pulp Fiction a lot, and I tell people you can start at any point in the movie, watch it all the way around to wherever you came in, and it will make no more/less sense than starting at the beginning.

What cracks me up completely, though, is looking at Pulp Fiction (especially the scene in the basement of Zed's pawn shop) and thinking "My mom and her church ladies sat through this?" Wow!
Old 09-26-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad4d8 View Post

That movie was Mad Max on the water kind of entertaining. I never understood why all the hate.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:46 AM

Again, I can't answer.
Films that I think are the worst others will think are the best ... and what they think are the worst I may think are the best.

Why couldn't the OP ask, "movies you've seen that YOU feel are the worst"?
It is not a subtle distinction, it's massive.

Once again we encounter ... Obviously, everyone must see the world exactly as I see it because is the only way.

IOW, why do so few people get that people just vary.
Is it me? Have I gone senile?

Last edited by Tico; 09-26-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Again, I can't answer.
Films that I think are the worst others will think are the best ... and what they think are the worst I may think are the best.

Why couldn't the OP ask, "movies you've seen that YOU feel are the worst"?
It is not a subtle distinction, it's massive.

Once again we encounter ... Obviously, everyone must see the world exactly as I see it because is the only way.

IOW, why do so few people get that people just vary.
Is it me? Have I gone senile?
Well... the OP did title the thread "OK for fun - some of the worst movies you've seen".
Old 09-26-2020, 07:20 AM

As Denny B says.... We saw Avatar in 3-D, and I thought it was a stunning visual achievement.... Even though they did rip off the animated Ferngully just a little bit...
Old 09-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Anything w/Will Ferrell (especially "Stepbrothers") except "The Other Guys"...Same for Adam Sandler, except "Reign Over Me"...
Old 09-26-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Nobody's mentioned Troll 2 yet?
Aah, yes - vacation in Nilbog, and nary a troll in sight.

So bad, it’s actually hilarious
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-26-2020, 12:35 PM

Well for bad movies that are actually fun in a completely cheesy way (and with redeeming music) there's Roadhouse with "I thought you'd be bigger" Patrick Swayze as the most fearsome bouncer ever. Nearly as funny as the Big Lebowski (a movie I love) but I'm not sure anyone knew they were making a comedy. Jeff Healey is great as the leader of the bar's band. And Sam Eliott's in each of them!

As for bad bad, there the Citizen Kane of bad movies Plan 9 From Outer Space. Alas the program music it used won't help there. But I did write a song with my friend Dave Moore about Vampira, the short-term sensation as an LA horror film host in the early 50s whose character exists on surviving film mostly due to her part in this terrible and incomprehensible movie. In the song Vampira recalls this ironic fact later in life when SciFi and monster horror movies are now big business when all she had to grab onto was Plan 9.

If Not for Ed

You'll have to make allowances that I'm to singing what Ed Wood was to cinema when you listen to that.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-26-2020, 02:04 PM

Come on guys... The Room?

https://youtu.be/pKAwXLVxuZQ

I put a link instead of embedding because there's some mild language (not bad). It's pretty funny though and also has a mega cult following.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
That movie was Mad Max on the water kind of entertaining. I never understood why all the hate.
Re Waterworld, I enjoyed it too.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Mad Max on the water
And be sure to watch for Mad Max on Ice, coming soon from Disney . . .
Old 09-26-2020, 06:40 PM

I'm going to chime in with a few that haven't been mentioned here:

1) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - I tried to watch it twice and couldn't get very deep either time. The characters just seemed wrong.

2) Alexander - This is one I should have liked, as I am seriously into that general period of history. But, again, I just lost interest about halfway through.

3) The Avengers - not the Marvel Universe one, but the one based on the 60's TV show. I was about 9 or 10 when I saw the show and even then I understood that it was really all about the unexpressed sexual tension between Steed and Mrs. Peel. As well as being campy fun.

Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman had zero chemistry - if not actually negative chemistry. And Sean Connery in one of his many "why on earth did he take THAT role?" roles. A Scottish robber-baron with a plan to extort the world's cities by weather control, and a squad of henchmen who went bouncing around the countryside dressed up as a cross between Teletubbies and the Everready bunny.

Then you had Steed and Peel's superiors - a man code-named Mother and a woman code-named Father. Why? Just because somebody with creative control found it funny, I suppose.

4) I know I'm going to get some push back on this one. There's Something About Mary.

I came very close to walking out of the movie on this one. I just found the basic premise of a brilliant doctor who is oblivious to the fact that her male patients are stalking her to be absurd. To the point that she has no clue that the condition she is treating one for is totally made up.

The humor I found to be junior high-school level. And while Cameron Diaz is fairly pleasant to look at, IMHO she cannot act her way out of a soggy paper bag.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I’m with you on Something About Mary. It was really popular with my friend group at the time and I just wasn’t into it. I don’t like the humiliation humor which seems to be such a staple of Ben Stiller films. He’s made the occasional film that is OK for me but generally not a fan. Strikes me as a guy who thinks he’s a lot funnier than he is.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M123 View Post
I

3) The Avengers - not the Marvel Universe one, but the one based on the 60's TV show. I was about 9 or 10 when I saw the show and even then I understood that it was really all about the unexpressed sexual tension between Steed and Mrs. Peel. As well as being campy fun.

Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman had zero chemistry - if not actually negative chemistry. <>

Then you had Steed and Peel's superiors - a man code-named Mother and a woman code-named Father. Why? <>

Agreed agreed agreed. However, "Mother" as the codename for Steed's (male) superior officer came from the last series of the TV show, when Tara King was Steed's partner.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:04 PM

How about movies that won best picture but are far from deserving?
1. Crash - full of shock value, but best movie? Probably the worst best picture winner IMO.
2. Titanic - cool special effects that don’t look that bad 20+ years later. But it’s just some love story with ok acting. In fact, Titanic is a great way to gauge how far LDC’s acting has improved.
3. Dances With Wolves - Kevin Costner’s mediocre acting, and countless Native American culture inaccuracies wrapped in two VHS tapes that totaled nearly four hours of boredom bliss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic