The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2020, 02:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Bog Oak

This maybe a not very novel thread but I thought i would show a set that i recently (like today) got from merry old England. Its Bog Oak and dates from 3500 BC. This wood fell into the fens and bogs and was preserved by the acidic conditions and has recently been resurrected and cut into quartered sawn sets and lumber.
It taps out like most oak, that is to say about like hard maple. I think this is going to make an interesting guitar. I might pare it with a tunnel redwood top. Thanks to Han for turning me on to this wood.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:03 PM

I've seen a number of oak guitars from British luthiers (online). Not so many from American luthiers. But then bog oak is most likely a very different animal.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:09 PM

I love the story with Bog Oak, and it sure isn't hard on the eyes. Look forward to seeing what you do with it John!
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Looks very nice John!
Old 09-21-2020, 04:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

You know this is coming: I want some!
Several British luthiers are using it even for fretboards so it must also be fairly hard. Sometimes ranging to almost black in color, it is an attractive substitute for the usual exotics.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Smile Oooohhhhhh......

I am with SK:

"You know this is coming: I want some!"

Bog oak! Sweet! And Both ends of the Kinnaird Conglomerate are already well experienced with other types of Oak.

Notice how Bogie, and Boogie are so similar? Could there be a reason???

How can I want another when I don't even have the newest yet?

"C'est la vie say the old folks. It goes to show you never know when the volcano will blow"

I swear that's a new lyric coming any day now to a song from me

SALUD

Pablo
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 09-21-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:03 PM

Makes one wonder if there are any bog trees somewhere in the Piedmont.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

I just discovered that if you guys click on the picture that John attached, you will be brought to his smugmug album and the other set that John has ... words fail me ... someone commission it right now before I do something rash
Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceen View Post
I've seen a number of oak guitars from British luthiers (online). Not so many from American luthiers. But then bog oak is most likely a very different animal.
Who knows. This cost about 200 pounds if you are in England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I love the story with Bog Oak, and it sure isn't hard on the eyes. Look forward to seeing what you do with it John!
I’m wondering what to do with it myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Looks very nice John!
Thanks Jamie
Old 09-21-2020, 08:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
You know this is coming: I want some!
Several British luthiers are using it even for fretboards so it must also be fairly hard. Sometimes ranging to almost black in color, it is an attractive substitute for the usual exotics.

Steve
Yes indeed bro it does come in black. I just happened to have one of those too. It’s so dark it’s hard to see the quartered sawn oak pattern but it’s there.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanter View Post
I just discovered that if you guys click on the picture that John attached, you will be brought to his smugmug album and the other set that John has ... words fail me ... someone commission it right now before I do something rash
Han you have no one to blame but yourself. Had you not put me on to this I would not now be in possession of two sets of wood that I need like I need a another hole in my head.😀
Old 09-21-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Bending woods, bending minds. Wow, amazing. Wonder what that tree looked like all those years ago. Was it a scratching post for a Wooly mammoth? A tree house for a scimitar-toothed cat?

I recall putting in a mable counter top in my old house and then looking up the geologic age of marble which was 65M to 300M years ago. Blew my mind that I could actually own it. 300 million years old and it was mine, all MINE. And I was going to use it to support a fruit bowl and a coffee station.

I will stop before I digress into the topic of stardust. I mean, how many stars sent raw material to make our world? Oops, digressed but I am going to guess 832 million over say 5 billion years and a few of them contributed to the bog wood tree guitar now in front of us.

Nicce project! I will follow.

Last edited by jmat; 09-21-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Bending woods, bending minds. Wow, amazing. Wonder what that tree looked like all those years ago. Was it a scratching post for a Wooly mammoth? A tree house for a scimitar-toothed cat?

I recall putting in a mable counter top in my old house and then looking up the geologic age of marble which was 65M to 300M years ago. Blew my mind that I could actually own it. 300 million years old and it was mine, all MINE. And I was going to use it to support a fruit bowl and a coffee station.

I will stop before I digress into the topic of stardust. I mean, how many stars sent raw material to make our world? Oops, digressed but I am going to guess 832 million over say 5 billion years and a few of them contributed to the bog wood tree guitar now in front of us.

Nicce project! I will follow.
I know what you mean Jmat. I look at some of these tunnel 14 tops and count the rings which are so close together that its an impossible task and then think of the fact that it supported tunnel walls for ages, got thrown out of the tunnel during renovation down a steep embankment and left to rot and then was resurrected and cut into guitar tops and shipped east to my shop. What a long and interesting and torturous history. I hope the next stage of its saga does it justice.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Fascinating

I know very little about this esoteric topic, but it's fascinating just the same. Thanks for letting us follow along, John. Larry
Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson; Taylor 714ce; Alvarez APA 1965
Old 09-22-2020, 05:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman View Post
I know very little about this esoteric topic, but it's fascinating just the same. Thanks for letting us follow along, John. Larry
Sure thing Larry

Here is a typical log coming up for air

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop