The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Default McPherson Sable EVO gold vs Nickel Silver,

With all the good reviews on the McPherson Sable and the reputation of McPherson in general, I've decided to get one. I noticed that there are more than cosmetic differences between the chrome/satin pearl version vs. the gold as the gold uses EVO gold frets vs. Nickel silver. They appear to be priced identically. Leaving apart aesthetics (I think the gold looks nice on this understated guitar). I'm leaning towards the EVO gold as they should be more durable unless anyone has experience to contrary. THere was another thread about the different weaves for the top, with no significant tonal differences suggested so I'm leaning towards basket weave. I'm excited most about McPherson's reputation for great intonation. Will try to do a Rainsong/McPherson/Emerald comparison once it arrives. All great guitars, no doubt. Great to hear the positive and informative critical comments about each on this forum.
Martin OM-35
Old 09-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Go EVO and don't look back!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-20-2020, 03:16 PM

Thank you!
It is great that there is a choice and no upcharge.
Should have it on hand by next weekend.

Now I have to figure out a good gig bag for it, love carrying my CF guitars in bags that aren't too bulky.

Will also see if the Tonedexter will improve on the Element pickup sound. My Rainsong's with Prefix Plus sound so good that I haven't been able to improve them with Tonedexter.
Martin OM-35
Old 09-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielou View Post
Now I have to figure out a good gig bag for it, love carrying my CF guitars in bags that aren't too bulky.
Don’t McPherson’s come with both hard case and gig bag? I recall reading that here...... I use a gig bag for my X20 about 99% of the time. Nothing against them but I have not seriously consider a Sable — my CF needs are met already. just spent the last three hours in a fun backyard jam of six, playing my Lucky 13 while a buddy played my X30.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:24 PM

McPherson has contracted for a custom gig bag for the Sable, but it got delayed with Covid, might want to wait a bit unless you need it right away.
Enjoy the new Sable.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Don’t McPherson’s come with both hard case and gig bag? I recall reading that here...... I use a gig bag for my X20 about 99% of the time. Nothing against them but I have not seriously consider a Sable — my CF needs are met already. just spent the last three hours in a fun backyard jam of six, playing my Lucky 13 while a buddy played my X30.
Earl, I think the touring comes with both, but not the Sable yet...
Old 09-20-2020, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Don’t McPherson’s come with both hard case and gig bag? I recall reading that here...
I know the Touring does, my Sable didn't come with a gig bag, I use the Access One bag I have when needed. Congrats on the Sable, it is fantastic for my needs, best CF guitar I have played.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the clarification on that. Like I said, a Taylor hard bag covers most of my gig bag needs (basically the Access Stage 3 bag with a logo). No idea how it would fit a Sable but it is a nice bag.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:37 AM

I also use the access one bag I have, but it is tight length wise. I have the small acoustic guitar bag.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber