The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-19-2020, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Default 2020 US OPEN

Just enjoying the heck out of this tournament! Only 6 players after 3 rounds are at even par or better! The first six players, only Louis Oosthuizen has won a major and that was 10 years ago at The Open Championship. The next major winner is Rory at 1 over and Zach Johnson at 2 over! The top of the leaderboard is dominated by yet to win a major players, although very good players. Matthew Wolff is missing almost every fairway and leading at 5-under! Huge names have dropped out of sight! The course is beautiful on TV so I imagine more than that in person. And the greens, I would probably 10-putt some of those greens! I am excited for this event, but terribly sad that the public is not there to witness, AND, contribute to the tournament! How is it going to feel for the winner with a smattering of cheers from volunteers and fellow players and media all that are there to witness history being made!? Don't know, but it would be nice to find out, huh?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:34 PM

Wolfe hit a 377 yard drive on a par 5, leaving 199 in. And got there with a 9 iron.

Crazy how far these guys hit the ball....and yet, to your point, the course is holding its own.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
Just enjoying the heck out of this tournament! Only 6 players after 3 rounds are at even par or better! The first six players, only Louis Oosthuizen has won a major and that was 10 years ago at The Open Championship. The next major winner is Rory at 1 over and Zach Johnson at 2 over! The top of the leaderboard is dominated by yet to win a major players, although very good players. Matthew Wolff is missing almost every fairway and leading at 5-under! Huge names have dropped out of sight! The course is beautiful on TV so I imagine more than that in person. And the greens, I would probably 10-putt some of those greens! I am excited for this event, but terribly sad that the public is not there to witness, AND, contribute to the tournament! How is it going to feel for the winner with a smattering of cheers from volunteers and fellow players and media all that are there to witness history being made!? Don't know, but it would be nice to find out, huh?
I have been really enjoying this too, but I don't miss the crowd.
I can't stand how obnoxious golf fans have become.

The course is outstanding, very tough but fair.
Epiphone Dot
Old 09-19-2020, 07:29 PM

We'll see if Wolff has the chops to go all the way. I'm rooting for him. It's a great story. Talk about an unorthodox swing!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Musical minimalist

I had to leave about 4:30 and just checked out the leaderboard - looks like the back nine tore Mr Reed up pretty good.

It's always a good bit of carnage - I tend to like it more than a tournament when they shoot 25 under par.

Winged Foot looks so much different without the galleries. I'd be lucky to break 100 there I bet.

Tomorrow will certainly be entertaining

Old 09-20-2020, 04:15 AM
Charter Member

I'd shoot about 150 there and lose a case of balls. Beautiful course, though.

I'm rooting for this Wolff kid, although I don't think I ever heard of him before Saturday's round. Gutsy performance.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:01 AM

I think the story of this tournament is that Bryson DeChambeau has rendered golf course architecture irrelevant. Rough doesn't matter, neither do sand traps or anything else. All that matters is the length of the hole, and he hits the ball longer than anyone. If he wins, the USGA will be in crisis mode, and will probably set up another task force.

It reminds me of the day that Roscoe Tanner arrived on the tennis scene and turned Wimbledon into a first serve ace contest. It took the sport 20 years to figure out how to deal with that.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:11 AM

The roughs got a little longer last night, we'll move the pins to tough spots and then, we'll slow down those greens. That'll throw a wrench into those long hitters' plans! I'm gonna watch and I'm not even a golfer.

Fog
Old 09-20-2020, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

My golf watching is limited to Sundays of the 4 majors. Checked the last 30 minutes of Saturday. Announcers seemed upset that the course is being beaten with brute strength vs accuracy. Just then Bryson hits a brilliant approach from the deep rough and drops the putt. Perfect!

I'm all for anything that stirs the pot in golf ... Beautiful course, looking forward to watching rd 4.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

This is definitely entertaining to watch..... disappointed for JT, though I am enjoying watching Matthew Wolfe miss most of the fairways and shoot 65... That rough is no joke... played Bethpage black a couple of weeks after a PGA event.... it was a struggle just to find your ball if it went in the rough...
Old 09-20-2020, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'd be lucky to break 100 there I bet.
It would be a super terrific accomplishment to say the least.
7400+ yards @ par 70. With bowling alley fairways, super thick rough and lightning fast undulating greens. As hard a test for the world's best players as they can make it, while staying fair. It would be a once in a lifetime round for even a low handicapper, I'm guessing.
I'm even willing to bet that the garden variety club pro would have a tough time breaking 100 on this course, the way it is set up now.
I hope that Wolff can keep it together. He's a player. I think the lack of fans, especially in the N.Y. area, might make it easier for him. But also for the other better known pros behind him. I don't know if his unorthodox swing is an asset, or a potential weakness under the immense pressure. OTOH, being wild hasn't affected him at all.
As is usally the case, I think it will all come down to the one who shows up with the best short game and putter on this day.
Should be a very exciting show.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-20-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbintegrity View Post
This is definitely entertaining to watch..... disappointed for JT, though I am enjoying watching Matthew Wolfe miss most of the fairways and shoot 65... That rough is no joke... played Bethpage black a couple of weeks after a PGA event.... it was a struggle just to find your ball if it went in the rough...
You were brave to play Bethpage Black!!
Old 09-20-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
You were brave to play Bethpage Black!!
You have to play it, just to say you did.... It was quite a walk, long round to the sum of 5-6hrs... paid 75 to play... 100. for the caddie plus tip.... and he wasn't even very good.. LOL... shot an 85.... started on fire and as the day went on, I combusted into flames..
Old 09-20-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Default 2020 US OPEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
It would be a super terrific accomplishment to say the least.

7400+ yards @ par 70. With bowling alley fairways, super thick rough and lightning fast undulating greens. As hard a test for the world's best players as they can make it, while staying fair. It would be a once in a lifetime round for even a low handicapper, I'm guessing.

I'm even willing to bet that the garden variety club pro would have a tough time breaking 100 on this course, the way it is set up now.

I hope that Wolff can keep it together. He's a player. I think the lack of fans, especially in the N.Y. area, might make it easier for him. But also for the other better known pros behind him. I don't know if his unorthodox swing is an asset, or a potential weakness under the immense pressure. OTOH, being wild hasn't affected him at all.

As is usally the case, I think it will all come down to the one who shows up with the best short game and putter on this day.

Should be a very exciting show.

I would have to agree with this too..... No fans in NY, probably means a little less stress for the players on the course...

Last edited by dbintegrity; 09-20-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:43 PM

Paradigm shifting win for Dechambeau.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic