The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2020, 12:12 PM

Default How is it dealing with Reverb in general for a buyer?

Hi,

Yes I know I've posted here that one of my rules is never to buy from a private seller ... and I have generally thought that to include a private seller who posts on Reverb or a similar site, such as eBay.

How will Reverb help me if I encounter a problem with buying a used guitar that comes with some defects not cited in the seller's ad?

I ask this because as I noted some years earlier I bought a used acoustic from a private seller on eBay. The "great" guitar came with a lifting bridge. Foolishly I tried to settle with the seller and our communication got very ... spirited let's say ... and to end things I accepted a $20 offer from him. I should have refused and let eBay get involved but I didn't. Foolish, me.

So you see I'm a little gun shy.

The seller lists the guitar in good condition. It's listed at $100 below the Reverb price guide ... which sort of concerns me. The seller has a 5-star rating but none of his other items were musical equipment items.

So how does it work with Reverb? I will get some screen grabs of the description and I've sent a question to the seller about if the guitar has any other problems. If needed, I will ask my luthier friend to take a look at the guitar. As I said he makes his own line of guitars and teaches classes in guitar setup so I value his judgment.

Thanking all in advance ...
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-26-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I have bought and sold on Reverb. I've never had any problems. They ARE on the side of the buyer. Every transaction I've had on Reverb, about 30 of them, has been fine.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:25 PM

Never had any issues whatsoever. About 10 purchases.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-26-2020, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Reverb does a great job of protecting buyers, there's very little to worry about when buying on Reverb as long as you do some due diligence. I wouldn't worry about the price guide either, it's helpful to get an idea of the value of a guitar but that doesn't mean there's reason to be concerned if a guitar is listed outside of those ranges.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Never had an issue either buying or selling. Sold quite a few musical things - not just guitars and all went smooth. Bought my 2014 Martin 000-18 and Godin Multiac nylon and both were fairly priced and the transaction was effortless.

You can always ask for more pics, too.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve sold about six or seven guitars and bought two on Reverb. Never had a problem...and made a few friends along the way.

Old 09-26-2020, 12:42 PM

Thanks all for your comments.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I bought a guitar through Reverb not long ago. I don't remember much about it so it must have been good.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-26-2020, 01:35 PM

Again thanks to all.

But ... (sound of other shoe dropping. On my head.)

The seller sent me a message. He just sold it. I think it lasted about a day, if that long.

He who hesitates ... is me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-26-2020, 03:16 PM

You were wise to be cautious.Don't feel too bad about missing out on the guitar ...Reverb has a lot more!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426 View Post
You were wise to be cautious.Don't feel too bad about missing out on the guitar ...Reverb has a lot more!
When one door closes ... I go home.

And thanks to you folks I know that if/when I find something, Reverb will have my back and will be on my side. (get the word play I just did there? I'm quite proud of myself at the moment.)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-27-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
....The seller lists the guitar in good condition....
Maybe you're lucky someone else picked it up. "Good" condition is a ways down the scale. Why is it not "very good" or "excellent"? Could be something cosmetic or it could be something worse.

I've made several purchases off reverb, and I've been really happy, to the point of being ecstatic, with the guitars I've gotten. But I've generally gone after guitars in excellent condition, and I usually message the seller with questions.

One reverb purchase I took a big risk on. It was listed as "for parts or not working." The (good reputation) seller said it was boxed up and he couldn't tell me much about it. But it looked like the only problem was a couple small gouges, through the finish, on the sides of the top, like it had been knocked off a stand. But the price was seductive -- essentially a 66% discount.

I lucked out, had the gouges professionally repaired, and the guitar is practically like new. A 2018 Oxnard-built Guild F-512. Holy grail, baby!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 09-27-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I'm never concerned as a buyer about the safety of the transaction on Reverb, my concern is always paying too much as the seller is dealing with heavy sellers fees and the buyer often has to pay sales tax.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Maybe you're lucky someone else picked it up. "Good" condition is a ways down the scale. Why is it not "very good" or "excellent"? Could be something cosmetic or it could be something worse.

I've made several purchases off reverb, and I've been really happy, to the point of being ecstatic, with the guitars I've gotten. But I've generally gone after guitars in excellent condition, and I usually message the seller with questions.

One reverb purchase I took a big risk on. It was listed as "for parts or not working." The (good reputation) seller said it was boxed up and he couldn't tell me much about it. But it looked like the only problem was a couple small gouges, through the finish, on the sides of the top, like it had been knocked off a stand. But the price was seductive -- essentially a 66% discount.

I lucked out, had the gouges professionally repaired, and the guitar is practically like new. A 2018 Oxnard-built Guild F-512. Holy grail, baby!
It was somewhat strange. The seller had lots of pics and they showed a bunch of dings and stuff like that. I also saw a line on the back of the neck that could have been just a shadow or a finish crack ... or a crack. The seller also said the guitar had a broken A string but he had a set of strings. So why not put them on as he was also selling it locally and inviting people to come by and test-play it. (Maybe that's how it sold) So I sent a seller an email asking specifically if there were any cracks or other substantive structural problems such as a lifting bridge, twisted neck, etc. The seller quickly responded that the guitar had been sold.)

So that's why I turned to you folks because of the lower-than-expected price and all those cosmetic imperfections. But I sort of thinking the price was mainly due to the nicks and all ... plus the broken string. LOL

And mainly I just wanted your thoughts on dealing with Reverb as a buyer in case I find another deal.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-27-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
I'm never concerned as a buyer about the safety of the transaction on Reverb, my concern is always paying too much as the seller is dealing with heavy sellers fees and the buyer often has to pay sales tax.
Yes I understand that, too. But I am shocked (yes I'm naive) about the asking price for a lot of gear on Reverb. I know many times you can work with the seller but I am that type of guy who doesn't like to do that ... I'm the "fixed price" zealot, you set a price and that's what you want to get and that's what you will take.

Sales tax I understand, too, and I expect to pay that at other major sites for used gear such as Guitar Center and I guess Music-Go-Round (but I don't like MGR's shipping charges and restocking fee.)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic