The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 09:15 AM

Default Alvarez MD60BG Owners? - NGD Awaits

Hey everybody,

I just did a prepay on a new Alvarez MD60BG, and it should ship here in a few weeks. It will include an awesome cream colored hardshell case. I will post a NGD once I receive it.

I'm just curious if there are any owners of this guitar on the forum, and what do you think about it?

How is the tone, and things you like about it?
I know this guitar is built for flatpicking and strumming, but how does it sound when doing fingerstyle?

Cheers,

Jordan
Old 09-15-2020, 09:28 AM

I loved mine but had to sell when Covid hit and I was better jobs to keep the lights on. The aesthetic is beautiful and IIRC it has a nice loud sound but not like my Martin. A little brighter. The top was really responsive.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alathea View Post
I loved mine but had to sell when Covid hit and I was better jobs to keep the lights on. The aesthetic is beautiful and IIRC it has a nice loud sound but not like my Martin. A little brighter. The top was really responsive.
Nice, thanks for the info.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:41 AM

I don't own one, but I do own its brother (MDA66) and have played a fantastic version of the MD60BG in my local shop. I find it sounds very good when used for fingerstyle - it even made me sound good - - and that says alot. I think you'll be very happy with it. Congratulations!!

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:18 AM

After reading several reviews and watching a few videos, I bought a used 2019 in a local shop 3 weeks ago. Great guitar. It plays easy and I like the tone. Very glad I bought it and would do it again.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:02 PM

I like the masterworks series so much that I'm looking for an MF or MP series.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:51 PM

Fantastic guitar. Search for previous threads on this topic and you’ll find many opinions about that specific guitar - most very positive.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 09-26-2020, 04:23 AM

I just purchased this guitar this week. I ordered it from Zzounds, a place I had never ordered from before.
The guitar arrived very quickly, within 3 days. Mine came in a padded gig bag. I would have preferred a hard case, but I have other hard cases, so not a deal breaker for me.
The guitar arrived with no damage, but the strings were terrible. The two unwound strings were corroded and really rough. I immediately replaced them with D’addario PB lights.
The open back tuners look cheap, but seem to work fine. The mahogany on the back and sides is gorgeous. The guitar body is very glossy, and the neck is satin and very smooth. The neck feels great, and the setup is excellent. Nice low action, but not too low for digging in with a flat pick. It really plays well.
I can’t speak to how it is for fingerpicking, as I am strictly a flat picker, but I’m very impressed with the playability of this guitar.
It’s pretty bright with the new PB strings, but it certainly has plenty of bottom end and lots of volume. I have a Martin rosewood D16, which has more growl, but the Alvarez still holds its own with good articulation and sustain.
I will play it for a few weeks and see how it holds tune, and if there is any problems with staying in tune I will change out the tuners, but other than that I’m very impressed with the guitar. A solid wood guitar with bone nut and saddle, and good fit and finish for 600 bucks. Pretty hard to beat.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinningfool View Post
I just purchased this guitar this week. I ordered it from Zzounds, a place I had never ordered from before.

The guitar arrived very quickly, within 3 days. Mine came in a padded gig bag. I would have preferred a hard case, but I have other hard cases, so not a deal breaker for me.

The guitar arrived with no damage, but the strings were terrible. The two unwound strings were corroded and really rough. I immediately replaced them with D’addario PB lights.

The open back tuners look cheap, but seem to work fine. The mahogany on the back and sides is gorgeous. The guitar body is very glossy, and the neck is satin and very smooth. The neck feels great, and the setup is excellent. Nice low action, but not too low for digging in with a flat pick. It really plays well.

I can’t speak to how it is for fingerpicking, as I am strictly a flat picker, but I’m very impressed with the playability of this guitar.

It’s pretty bright with the new PB strings, but it certainly has plenty of bottom end and lots of volume. I have a Martin rosewood D16, which has more growl, but the Alvarez still holds its own with good articulation and sustain.

I will play it for a few weeks and see how it holds tune, and if there is any problems with staying in tune I will change out the tuners, but other than that I’m very impressed with the guitar. A solid wood guitar with bone nut and saddle, and good fit and finish for 600 bucks. Pretty hard to beat.
Congrats on the new guitar! You should share some pics of it. And yeah let us know how it ends up sounding for you. I did a prepay on one of these MD60BG's but canceled and went with a Eastman E8D. I already had a hog guitar, and wanted a rosewood which is what the E8D is. The E8D was a 2020 model but was slightly used and only like $795 so it was too good of a deal to pass up. But, I will say that the neck on the MD60BG is one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played if not the most comfortable. Hope I don't regret going with the Eastman because I know the neck is more comfortable on the Alvarez than the Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion