The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-29-2020, 07:45 PM

Reminded by Red_Label, I still regret letting a C12 SP/IN go. Helluva guitar. Sure, I 'gave' it to my nephew, a talented musician, though, I had no idea that he'd actually fall in love with it. Dang. There, finally I have the answer to the often asked question, What was the one that got away?
Old 08-30-2020, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

My brother-in-law gave me the Yamaha CG172SF and it's a bit of a rude awakening. It's been a long time since I've played a 2" nut on a flat fret board. And I find the longer scale slightly daunting.

I come to the Yamaha from a custom Emerald classical guitar with a 1/78 nut width with a slight fret board radius. It plays and sounds like a good classical should.

I'm going to persist with the Yamaha for a while. But I'm looking at other Flamenco options and have questions: Are there flamenco guitars with shorter scales, less nut width, with slight-radius fret board?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:34 PM

Cordoba GK's are easier to play than the Yamahas, slightly under 2" I think.

That said, if you really want to learn properly don't go much under 2". You can find lots of crossover nylons around 1 7/8 but if you really want to learn Flamenco techniques you are going to need the extra string spacing.

These days I just laugh at people that complain that 1 3/4 nuts are too wide lol.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:10 AM

Hi Evan

Long time...

I don't pass through here often at the moment because I have a 14 month old son who keeps us very busy, and I have little time for forums or playing. Soon though...

Anyway, I am a huge fan of the brand Camps, if you can try one, it would be worth it.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 09-06-2020, 03:00 PM
Guest 928

Thank you Sir. Every time I turn around I find myself presented with yet another instrument I've never heard of. It seems like there are more guitars than stars. Thank you for yet one more star.

I also thank you for having turned me on to the Aquila Rubino strings. I am using them on my acoustic and electric Emerald guitars. They are very satisfying.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical