The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-19-2021, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
So what prompted this is I took delivery on Thursday of a new Sebatron Axis 200 preamp that I purchased from Soundpure as a demo unit.

I connected it to my DAW (Reaper) via my Scarlett 2i4 interface as follows:

1. XLR mic cables from two SDC's (KM184's) to Axis XLR inputs.
2. XLR mic cables from Axis XLR outputs to Scarlett XLR inputs, Scarlett mic gain controls set to 0, Scarlett phantom power off, Scarlett Line/Inst switch set to Line.
3. Scarlett USB feed to PC and DAW setup with two tracks (Channel 1 and 2 on both the Scarlett and Axis).

When I power the Axis up, for each channel the Pad/Gain control knob is set to -15dB (full counterclockwise to the left), Output Level control knob is set to 0, HPF is off, phantom mic power is off. When I turn the phantom power on for each mic channel and turn the Output Level knob to the right, there is no activity on the Axis VU meters and no activity on the track level indicators in the DAW.

Using same XLR cables from mics to the Axis, if I take the Axis out and go straight to the Scarlett and use it's preamps, everything works fine.

I wonder if the Axis is DOA. I'll be in touch with Soundpure first thing on Monday.
Hi Bob,

I know nothing about the Axis or the Scarlett 2i4 interface, but the two parts above where I added bold text are areas that may have an effect.

Having the input on your Scarlett all the way down at 0 may not be letting any signal through at all. You might try turning the level on the Scarlet up a little, maybe to 9 o'clock to see if any signal comes through.

Also, on the Axis, if the input level is at -15 dB, you will probably have to turn that up some, I would suggest perhaps 12 o'clock to get signal into your mic preamp.

I could be all wet here, but it seems like no signal could get to your preamp and even if there were, no signal can get through the Scarlet at your current settings.

As Derek pointed out, until signal flows through the preamp, you may not see any movement of the Axis meters.

These different settings might be worth a try... If you do start to get a signal through your preamp and interface into your DAW, then I would turn the input level on the Scarlett down as much as you can to minimize input noise on that preamp. However, you may not be able to go much below 9 o'clock.

With my preamps, my input level on each channel is at about 12 o'clock, my output level is at about 3 o'clock; on my interface the input level is at about 9 o'clock for each channel.

Thanks, Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 06-19-2021 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kevwind, you pointed me in the right direction. Plugged a dynamic mic into Channel 1 and the VU meter came to life. Pulled out an inline external 48V phantom power supply and ran the KM184 through it to Channel 1 with the Axis 48V power off and the VU meter again worked. There must be a bad transformer in the Axis that is affecting 48V power on both channels even though when I switch the Axis 48V power on the indicator light comes on. Looks like it's going back to Soundpure for exchange or refund for sure on Monday morning.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Bob,

I know nothing about the Axis or the Scarlett 2i4 interface, but the two parts above where I added bold text are areas that may have an effect.

Having the input on your Scarlett all the way down at 0 may not be letting any signal through at all. You might try turning the level on the Scarlet up a little, maybe to 9 o'clock to see if any signal comes through.

Also, on the Axis, if the input level is at -15 dB, you will probably have to turn that up some, I would suggest perhaps 12 o'clock to get signal into your mic preamp.

I could be all wet here, but it seems like no signal could get to your preamp and even if there were, no signal can get through the Scarlet at your current settings.

As Derek pointed out, until signal flows through the preamp, you may not see any movement of the Axis meters.

These different settings might be worth a try... If you do start to get a signal through your preamp and interface into your DAW, then I would turn the input level on the Scarlett down as much as you can to minimize input noise on that preamp. However, you may not be able to go much below 9 o'clock.

With my preamps, my input level on each channel is at about 12 o'clock, my output level is at about 3 o'clock; on my interface the input level is at about 9 o'clock for each channel.

Thanks, Glenn
Thank you Glenn. I think you missed my response to Kevwind above. The -15 dB adjustment I noted on the Axis is not the mic gain output but the pad gain control and Sebatron recommends starting out at the setting I referenced. Setting the Scarlett gain level to 0 was also a common recommendation I found in a lot of YT videos on running a preamp through an audio interface with the interface input connection set up to receive a line level input but note I did try raising that gain level too and it had no effect.

I’m just glad I found the issue with 48v power supply not working on the Axis (even though the indicator lights were on). I knew it had to be something obvious.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 06-20-2021 at 01:09 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Kevwind, you pointed me in the right direction. Plugged a dynamic mic into Channel 1 and the VU meter came to life. Pulled out an inline external 48V phantom power supply and ran the KM184 through it to Channel 1 with the Axis 48V power off and the VU meter again worked. There must be a bad transformer in the Axis that is affecting 48V power on both channels even though when I switch the Axis 48V power on the indicator light comes on. Looks like it's going back to Soundpure for exchange or refund for sure on Monday morning.

Thanks!
Humm interesting and I am guessing unusual for the light to work but no voltage going.... Well too bad to have to send it back,,, I have only ever bought one thing from Sound Pure a number of years back but they were very straight up to deal with, good luck

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 06-20-2021 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...[snip]...
I don't have a female XLR to 1/4" plug cable to try that. Based on nothing else working, probably is not the problem.
...[snip]...
Agreed this wouldn't be the source of your problem, but when you connect an external preamp to your Motu Ultralite you'd ideally want to use the XLR connector on the preamp output and a 1/4" TRS plug into the interface. I've had great service from Redco on cables.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-20-2021, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Glad you found your problem Bob.

Quality control these days is usually so good that we tend to get used to things working correctly right out of the box.

- Glenn
Old 06-20-2021, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I don't have a female XLR to 1/4" plug cable to try that. Based on nothing else working, probably is not the problem.
Not the only problem, maybe. I'm guessing the XLR part of the interface's combo connectors only works at mic level, and the "line/inst." switch only affects the 1/4" part of the connector. I could be mistaken.

Couch Standards
Old 06-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Agreed this wouldn't be the source of your problem, but when you connect an external preamp to your Motu Ultralite you'd ideally want to use the XLR connector on the preamp output and a 1/4" TRS plug into the interface. I've had great service from Redco on cables.
That's my plan. Have two Mogami Gold balanced XLR female to 1/4" TRS on the way. Thanks for the feedback Chuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Glad you found your problem Bob.

Quality control these days is usually so good that we tend to get used to things working correctly right out of the box.

- Glenn
You are soooo right. Buying demos or used on anything electrical or mechanical (i.e. a car) has more risk and buying new is certainly less stress/risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Not the only problem, maybe. I'm guessing the XLR part of the interface's combo connectors only works at mic level, and the "line/inst." switch only affects the 1/4" part of the connector. I could be mistaken.
That's why I ordered the Motu with dedicated line inputs. It actually arrived today but I need to get the Axis swapped out.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Update on the Axis. Ted with Soundpure sent me an email on Sunday night thinking the issue could be a ribbon cable inside the unit that could have come unplugged. I opened the unit up and sure enough there was an unplugged ribbon cable. Once plugged back in, the mics got power and the VU meters woke right up.

So Kudos to Soundpure for being responsive on this. They are the kind of company I like to do business with.

Last edited by SprintBob; 06-22-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update on the Axis. Ted with Soundpure sent me an email on Sunday night thinking the issue could be a ribbon cable inside the unit that could have come unplugged. I opened the unit up and sure enough there was an unplugged ribbon cable. Once plugged back in, the mics got power and the VU meters woke right up.

So Kudos to Soundpure for being responsive on this. They are the kind of company I like to business with.
I'm glad they were helpful Bob!

Now the fun starts!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD